Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT vs 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:15 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/300252-new-997-c2-or-used-996-tt-coupe.html

My thoughts, copied-and-pasted from that thread:

I chose a 997S over a 996TT. I like the 997's RWD, nicer interior, more linear naturally-aspirated power delivery, PCCBs, and lighter weight.

My father has a 2002 X50 turbo with 550-odd horsepower (evolution stage III), pss9s, short shift, r-comps, aggressive alignment, pagid blacks, tequip bar, GT3 seats, harnesses, all sorts of cool stuff. I find the 996TT unpredictable in both power delivery (throttle is like an on-off switch, very difficult to drive smoothly) and in the AWD/PSM voodoo that manages to make the car feel unsettled when on the limit of traction (granted, a very high limit).

The 997, on the other hand, is mostly stock (H&R springs, aggressive alignment, r-comps, seats, bar, harnesses) and, for me, is far more satisfying on the track. I can get on the gas sooner out of turns, explore understeer/oversteer limits, and the brakes (GS610 fluid only) are positively bombproof. No doubt I'd be faster in the 996, but sometimes it's not all about the fastest time around a track.

All that said, for the street I like the 996. The power/torque is amazing, the ride is still supple, and there's more grip than you know what to do with. But if I had to choose one (and I did), I went with the newer car. Go ask this question on the 997 board and see what those guys have to say!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:10 AM
doccao
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the dealership, I asked the saleperson, financial person, and mechanic which model would they buy (997s or 996TT). All three pointed to the 996TT for speed, power, and prestige. Hence, I drove home that day with an '04TT. If I want luxury and comfort, then I'll drive the benz.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:08 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Being precisely in the same position, I can only echo the almost unanymous feedback: I settled on a 996TT to replace my 996C2. Although I am less than impressed by the build quality of 996s and I prefer the looks of the 997 in and out, the 997S is a no go for me because:
- it's a bit underwhelming in terms of performance.
- I do not believe that Porsche has fixed the RMS and engine reliability problems of the Carrera water cooled engines. Actually, a Porsche service mgr told me the same thing.

A 997GT3 or 997TT is a much more appealling proposition, assuming that you are willing to wait (GT3) or surf the steep portion of the depreciation curve on an expensive car (TT).

I concluded that a 996TT is the best compromise based on my criteria, and hope to find one whose interior has a few nice options.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
golfguy
Racer

Default similar thread

the same question was debated in a different thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300252

the concensus overwhelmingly points towards the 996tt.

here's an example or relative values in canada:

moderately equipped 997s is around $120-130k
used 2002 996tt with x50 with 30k miles is around $100k

btw, there's a lot of 996tt available so take your time to find a good one.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't need/want the 996TT, then buy a 996 GT3.

Personally, I could never own a non M64/GT1 derived engine '911', I just don't like the sound of 'integrated dry sump'.....
Although the 993 marked the end of the 'air cooled' era of 911's, it will be the retirement of the M64/GT1 derived block that closes one of the greatest chapters in Porsche roadcar history.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Not sure that a 996 GT3 is any match in terms of every day usability vs a 996TT. Different story with 997s, but the 996 has no PSM, very low front clearance, is noisier, very stiff, a very radical sports car proposition compared to a 996TT.
Depending on what you are looking for, a 996GT3 may be a notch or two too radical.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
If you don't need/want the 996TT, then buy a 996 GT3.

Personally, I could never own a non M64/GT1 derived engine '911', I just don't like the sound of 'integrated dry sump'.....
Although the 993 marked the end of the 'air cooled' era of 911's, it will be the retirement of the M64/GT1 derived block that closes one of the greatest chapters in Porsche roadcar history.
I am interested in reading about the engine design differences between the 996, the tt and the gt3 engines. Would you happen to have any links?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
it will be the retirement of the M64/GT1 derived block that closes one of the greatest chapters in Porsche roadcar history.
Amen, the engine that won at LeMans...enough said
Old 01-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Cant see how anyone would not feel this way comparing a normal car to a supercar? That certainly was my impression. And my impression was stock vs stock. comparing even a lightly modded TT to another NA porsche to me is a joke. Just my 2 cents no reply needed...

Tom,

Have you driven a GT3? I think that's one NA porsche that isn't a joke to compare to a TT as I'm sure you'd agree as an experienced track guy. My previous car was a 996 TT, and my seat of the pants impression is that the TT was probably "slightly" faster off the line, but not much of a difference. Of course, I know your car is "modded" so probably a lot faster than my TT was. BTW, I saw (and heard!) you drive your car November at the PCA event at Sebring. Nice ride!

Back to the GT3, I absolutely love this car, and every time I drive it, I'm mesmerized by the experience. I didn't have that impression driving my TT. While it was fast, and a great car all around, it didn't give me the visceral thrill of a purist sports car like I get with the GT3. I think it's about the stiff suspension and the motor noise (especially at 8200) in the GT3 that makes the difference for me. To each his own!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Whiile it was fast, and a great car all around, it didn't give me the visceral thrill of a purist sports car like I get with the GT3. I think it's about the stiff suspension and the motor noise (especially at 8200) in the GT3 that makes the difference for me. To each his own!
Was your Turbo stock?

A "stiff" suspension and a good exhaust goes a long way towards making the Turbo very visceral.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Yup it was stock. It was an impulse buy. I was totally blown away by the acceleration and loved the speed yellow color, so bought it on impulse, without factoring the very wrong (for me) tiptronic transmission. I was quite impressed with the intuitive nature of that transmission on the track, but alas, I really enjoy the manual more, so that was the ultimate reason I went for the GT3. I wish I could have swung financially keeping the TT and the GT3, because that TT was much nicer of a daily driver!
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Tom,

Have you driven a GT3? I think that's one NA porsche that isn't a joke to compare to a TT as I'm sure you'd agree as an experienced track guy. My previous car was a 996 TT, and my seat of the pants impression is that the TT was probably "slightly" faster off the line, but not much of a difference. Of course, I know your car is "modded" so probably a lot faster than my TT was. BTW, I saw (and heard!) you drive your car November at the PCA event at Sebring. Nice ride!

Back to the GT3, I absolutely love this car, and every time I drive it, I'm mesmerized by the experience. I didn't have that impression driving my TT. While it was fast, and a great car all around, it didn't give me the visceral thrill of a purist sports car like I get with the GT3. I think it's about the stiff suspension and the motor noise (especially at 8200) in the GT3 that makes the difference for me. To each his own!
Mark,

I totally agree with your comments and did not mean to "lump" the GT3 into the NA comment, as you know I consider the GT3 a true supercar as well. yes have driven them and almost bought one before my TT,but for the total things mentioned above I decided on the TT.
See you at Moroso, where there will be many GT3 beating me up!!!...tom

PS, you are welcome to drive my car, as your comparison of your "stock" tip car
to the GT3 was a huge difference. Like Dock said a slightly modded TT with a stick (lightened a little, with a LWFW), you may not see such a large difference between the two cars.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

For the last year or two I have been looking for at 911's , mostly the turbo, I looked at the 993 turbo however the interior was horrid IMHO, the 996 Turbo was better all around except motor sound, but thats a simple exhaust swap.

Just for kicks I looked at the 996/997 C4's and liked them very much, any complaint I may have had of the 996's seem to have been addressed in the 997's but the turbos just eat the NA cars alive in every way (obviously). That being said.... now that I have driven a 997 GT3, I can honestly say that will be my next porsche. From a grass roots driving point of view it is simply unbelievable. great power (almost as much as a stock 996turbo) great brakes, aesthetically wonderful and the handling is as if I have neural connection with the car. It wont deliver the huge numbers the turbos can, but driver skill being equal, I would be very nervous taking my turbo against a GT3 on the track.

Bottom line, it all depends what you are looking for, for everyday street driving the turbo is a given, but if you are a track *****, I would consider a C4 for now and saving for a 997 GT3.

Be safe, be well...be fast.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turkish_eyebrow
The turbo lag took some getting use to - but the 997 variocam kicks in around the same time and produces a similar, albeit less powerful, feel.

Hope this helps.

Oz
Huh! what turbo lag...

Keith
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

I noticed some turbo lag below 3000 RPMs (although it is much less than the old single turbo motors that my dad drove) when compared to my NA 996 and 997.

Perhaps it is the kick in the butt above 3000 that makes things seem more dramatic.

Quick Reply: 996 TT vs 997 S