Turn signal problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Turn signal problems...

Driver side front turn signal not working... bulb not coming on. Replaced bulb. Raised the contact a bit to make sure it was good...nothing... get the same fast flashing from the cluster and the rear light... replaced rear light as well...

Turn on the hazards an three of the lights work but not the front driver's side.

Is there a flasher for each corner??? Where are these located? I want to try swapping them to see if that is the culprit (just enough time to get to the dealer for a part if that is it)...

Also... rear fog light (red) only driver's side turns on. New bulbs all around. Did the same on the contact point to ensure it was nice and tight... nothing...
Old 11-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

The rest of the lights in the front driver's side housing work... so it is not an issue with the plug, contacts for that bulb are clean... I have pretty much covered everything I can/know... Called the local Porsche service dept to make an appointment as they pretty much tried to walk me thru the same steps I had done.

Just weird that it stopped working... I will have them check the issue with the rear fog light as well...

I will pull out the light one more time and make sure there is continuity between the bottom contact and the contact in the side of the plug. Clean it again and call it a day...

Maybe a cold one will help Cheers!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

**NOTE: I was just told that the rear fog light is working correctly... in the USA only one side turns on to avoid confusion from the driver behind you that the brake lights are on...**
Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like time for the dealer but your fog lights are working properly
Old 11-18-2006, 12:30 AM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My turn signal was rapid flashing and it turned out to be a loose headlight. You have a headlight
tool in your tool case. The access hole is in the trunk.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by catalinajerry
My turn signal was rapid flashing and it turned out to be a loose headlight. You have a headlight
tool in your tool case. The access hole is in the trunk.
I took out both front and rear... checked and cleaned contacts with no success... replaced bulbs, etc... only thing left to do is to replace the socket for the bulb I have problems with. I will try that at the dealer on Monday.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Well... before leaving the car for service this morning I decided to take out both lights and compare the sockets. Sure enough... and not sure how I did not notice... but the socket contact was a little bit melted and pushed inside not allowing it to make contact with the housing contact. It was very obvious once I compared it with the other one.

Placed an order for a new one - Part No. 996-631-118-00 (US$20.90)

I bent slightly the housing contact and it is working for now but best to just put a new socket in there to avoid the contact area to get hot again...

Bad side of the socket, notice how the contact is not sticking out as it should... possibly due to a bad contact area that created a hot spot and melted the plastic around the contact allowing it to get pushed inside:

Good side:

Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 AM
emarsha1031
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue. Fought it for weeks. There was a contact for the bulb holder inside the headlight assembly that was loose. I took it out, adjusted the clip on contact and reattached it. Now when you slide the bulb holder into the headlight assembly, the contact stays put and makes contact with the bulb holder. Yea working left turn signal again.

Quick Reply: Turn signal problems...