600+ HP and Front Diff Strength

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 05:48 AM
Flat6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 600+ HP and Front Diff Strength

Ok...

Roock told me that for their 600+ kits they convert to RWD (GT2/3) tranny because the AWD system and turbo tranny are not strong enough.

I just read in excellence (about the TechArt turbo cab) that for anything over 540 (600+) they convert to RWD because "the front diff is not strong enough"...

600+ and eliminating the AWD seems counter active... is there a way to strengthen the front Diff (and perhaps the viscous coupler, which I bet is the real problem).

Lastly, if RWD is the only answer, could one one just eliminate everything from the front driveshaft (where it mates with the tranny) forward?

CJV... what have you been told about the front diff?

Flat6
Old 02-20-2002, 11:24 AM
VS
Instructor

Cool

Also, if you convert to RWD, you'd also have to drop PSM. There is a good reason why both GT2 and RWD Ruf TurboR do not have PSM. Now, a 600 + hp RWD car without PSM can be a challenge --- try driving that in the rain ...
Old 02-22-2002, 08:42 AM
A.J. O'Connell
Advanced

Spoke with Ryan and ?Kevin? from The Racer's Group yesterday. Going north of 600 hp will be easy. Perhaps Quaife could develop a front diff up to the challenge of handling the power.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:43 AM
VS
Instructor

Cool

A.J.,
just how easy is "easy"? I'd guess some internal mods to the engine are required to get over 600hp. Could you provide some details, please?

Also, what hardware would that take: turbos, exhaust,...? Any particular exhaust? Are they planning to use Unichip or have the ECU reprogrammed?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Shank996TT
Racer

I read that SPORTEC accomplishes 700HP with AWD. I wonder what they do to acheive this.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:14 PM
VS
Instructor

Arrow

Shank,
regarding Sportec-700, are you sure this car exists in real life? I thought it was an ongoing project at best and maybe just the public relations stint.
Also, Sportec tends to outsource engine kits it installs. For example, Sportec-540 has the FVD engine kit in it.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:46 AM
A.J. O'Connell
Advanced

VS- internal mods exactly. Port and polish heads, 4.0 liter or 3.8 liter upgrade using GT3R heads. Machined pistons, titanium conrods, new headers.

Obviously different turbos, as all kits now are using at least stock K24s, I believe Todd from Evo optimized the K24 further. Todd and I talked about a hybrid between a K24 from the compressor side and a K26 on the impeller side- good spooling with increased cfm's.

Kevin's talking Unichip, and I haven't talked to Todd since speaking to Kevin. Todd would likely remap the fuel program and be comfy with more boost given a stronger top end.

Questions that I still have- is the fuel delivery system stout enough to provide adequate fuel to a larger displacement? Is the airbox as well? How are different tuners going to work with each other?
Old 02-24-2002, 03:22 PM
A.J. O'Connell
Advanced

CJV- I spoke with Ryan last week and Kevin on Thursday. Apparently 3.8 or 4.0 cylinders come from GT3R. I asked about compatibility, and we're still working on it. Personally, I don't want to get too radical and have a completely race-built motor, because I don't have time for and can't afford rebuilds every 3K miles. If there are a few of us willing to do some of these mods and perhaps if we can talk and split up some of the legwork, we may be able to do the motor with some reasonable internal mods at a not too crazy cost.

I think in my email to you I gave my phone numbers, and I emailed my numbers to Ryan Shankar as well. Kevin said he can build the motors and that we could save some $$ if a number of us do the mods. Hopefully one of you will call me or I will call you if I have your number. I'm also looking into adjustable boost solutions and given my schedule it would be great if a few of us worked on strong, reliable mods for the car together.

Quick Reply: 600+ HP and Front Diff Strength