Sponsored by:

Ruf R Turbo Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:58 PM
por550dean
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ruf R Turbo Sport

I just found this info on the Ruf R Turbo Sport on Fast-auto.net.

<a href="http://www.fast-autos.net/ruf/rufrturbosport.html" target="_blank">http://www.fast-autos.net/ruf/rufrturbosport.html</a>

Anyone Know anything else about this car? That wide body kit owns me! I wonder what the performance specs are for the car since it has lower HP and higher torque than the R Turbo? Also, there was a bit of a hint at Ruf making a CTR-3 in Excellence the other month. Is there any validity to this??
Old 05-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Hamann7
User

Yes, that car is a one off special by Ruf.

The widebody has quite a presence and it looks even more stunning in person. The specs on the car are actually quite a bit more than the normal R Turbo. It has the Nardo engine package with titanium conrods, and puts out 600hp.

The owner of the car lives out here in Malibu, and several of us on this board have met him. He also has a Pagani Zonda C12S, and apparently has an Enzo as well.

Apparently, Ruf is in the works for a CTR3, as well as a top of the line car that is not based on the 911.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:37 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the intercooler intakes relocated to the top of the rear fenders?
Old 05-09-2003, 11:54 PM
bigsky
Instructor

Road & Track, June 2003 compares the RUF R Turbo Sport with the Brabus K8 (MB SL55). The test was around the streets of Malibu for the R Turbo Sport; so probably the same car. 0-60 3.8sec, 1/4 mile 11.9 sec. 450 hp and 590 lb.-ft at 3000rpm.They do not mention location of intercoolers but refer to the triangular air vents on the rear quarter panels.It is a beautiful car! Hope this helps. Rob
Old 05-09-2003, 11:59 PM
bigsky
Instructor

Hamann7, sorry, I did not mean to challenge your post of 600hp. I simply copied info from article then reread your post.They do mention that the R Turbo Sport starts at $200,000. Rob
Old 05-10-2003, 12:16 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, that is where the intercoolers are.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Hamann7
User

BigSky,

That is interesting stuff you brought up. I will have to look at the latest Road and Track and read the article you are referring to.

The owner told Deanger and I that his engine was 600hp. 450hp and 590lb.-ft. of torque sounds like a strange power curve for a 996TT. That means that his is a detuned R Turbo? Maybe they meant to say 550hp, like drjim's car?

The quarter time of 11.9 is also not too impressive for such an extreme looking car. Even a regular R Turbo would do something like 11.7-8.

That is extremely disappointing performance for an alleged 600hp!
Old 05-10-2003, 07:29 AM
AdamT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Hamann...hey man..

Anyways i'll try to clarify some of this..

All R Turbo engines come with titanium conrods by the way..its something estonia is very proud of..it doesnt add to the bhp, only the longevity of the engine.

Firstly as everyone knows there are 3 different engine packages available to RUF customers, the 520, 546tq engine,
the 542,560+tq engine
and the "nardo" engine,(FYI whilst i was there i never heard the name nardo, but it is a cool name)
This is reputed to have 590bhp and god knows how much torque. It is from the words of Mr RUF, a racing engine, and must be staggering, hwoever those quarter mile times dont make sense, neither does the Fast auto-net time of 11.9 for the quarter mile.

Its terribly complicated, bot helped by the fact that each RUF engine built is always alot stronger than their conservative outputs...because of Mr RUF's stringent quality standards.

I hope ive helped

all the best
adam
Old 05-10-2003, 12:37 PM
x-50speeder
Instructor

I'll throw in my understanding on the subject since one of Ruf's oldest mechanics was here with me for a week completing my conversion.

There are three engine packages available for conversion. Only two will be done with the car not being shipped to Germany. The third, Nardo edition, must be performed in Germany due to the extensive engine conversion.
The first takes the stock 420hp to 520 hp.
The second takes stock to 550 bhp and 580 Tq.
The nardo has 590 hp, and LESS torque than the second option. Although I do not know how much less.
Joe from Ruf explained that for the US, the higher toque engine was better than the Nardo. He said, the Nardo is for maximum top speed and more suited to the driving conditions of Europe. Also, the Titanium con rods are not a part of the conversions done here in the US that produce the 580 lbs/ft of torque. Turbos, intake manifolds,air filter, and ECU is the change.

As far as the disappointing quarter mile time of this wide body car, I guess it is to be expected because of the increased drag. Ruf always likes using a narrowbody car to achieve his top speed goals.

By the way. My car runs beautifully. It is wickedly fast, and I can only imagine what a car like cjv's, Wilber's, or even George's swamp monster!accelerates like! It must truly be something! There is something to be said about this type of brutal acceleration. Ruf makes a very nice package. As I have said before, the suspension, really ties everthing together.

Steve
Old 05-10-2003, 02:49 PM
AdamT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Drag doesnt come into playh with quarter mile times, those times are BS im afraid, disregard them...
What you said about the Nardo is exactly what Alois was explaining to us when we bought out car from them, it wouldnt suit our style of driving.

all the best
adam
Old 05-10-2003, 03:54 PM
jimrd
Intermediate

The widebody kit is stunning but I'm sure the cost is equally stunning. I also agree 450hp with 590ft/lbs of torque must be incorrect. I have found the 550hp conversion to be more than adequate for my needs. I would echo Steve's comments about the package as a whole. I think to get significantly better numbers, you would have to ship your car to S-Car-Go or Phd and drop sig. more $. At 5280ft in Denver, my car is still brutally fast - Injudicious throttle application has lead to the very rapid need to replace all of my tires - I have only 400 miles on the conversion! Just cruising along in 2nd gear - plant the throttle - all four tires spin easily as the car hops about! This also occasionally occurs in third gear - much to my dismay as the speeds are alot greater. Suffice it to say, I am more than happy with the amount of power provided by the R turbo conversion - I realize there exist those rare individuals that may require more. I don't possess the skill or cajones to need more! Hope the weather is good where you guys are - it's snowing here - so I guess I don't need new tires today.
Jim
Old 05-10-2003, 08:40 PM
bigsky
Instructor

I checked Road & Track to see if I misread the article. I found the following:
"We tested a Ruf Rturbo in February 2002, so we know about its incredible performance:0-60 mph in 3.8 sec.;the quarter mile in 11.9 sec.;and 0.97g around our 200-ft. skidpad." (sorry I thought these times were for the RTurbo Sport)... "The Rturbo Sport's twin-turbocharged flat-6 has been tweaked for better low- and mid-range performance, pumping out slightly less horsepower, 450, but more torque, 590lb.-ft.,peaking at a low 3000rpm."
I believe the picture in Road & Track is the same picture(cropped) as <a href="http://www.fast-autos.net" target="_blank">www.fast-autos.net</a>
I think that the Rennlist people (Hamann7, etc) know more about their RUF conversions and RUF RTurbo Sports in their neighborhood than Road & Track. I suspect when they translate from French to English the numbers were transposed. It certainly would not make sense for the conversion to only have the same horsepower as the X50 option. Though the widebody may not be as aerodynamic as the narrowbody, it certainly is stunning. From the many complemetary post on the RUF conversions, it sounds like they do a great job. Perhaps on par with PorschePHD and CJV/ S-Car-Go? Rob
Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 PM
por550dean
Advanced

Thanx for all the info guys, hopefully we'll be hearing more about the CTR3 and whatever else Ruf has up their sleves for the future. I just got my R&T in today and turned Imediately to the Ruf article. The HP and torque figures quoted above are what they printed.... strange.

Quick Reply: Ruf R Turbo Sport