Sponsored by:

Amateur video of lap at Nürburgring

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:53 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Amateur video of lap at Nürburgring

The following is a video taken this fall of a lap at Nürburgring in a GT3 by Ulf Karlsson during a public session:

<a href="http://vanadium.prg.dtu.dk/~pmc/andersj/200209_GT3_745.WMV" target="_blank">Ulf Karlsson GT3 7:45 BTG</a>

The time is 7:45 BTG. “Bridge to Gentry” is used because flying laps are not possible during public open days. To convert this to a full lap time you would need to add about 23-24 seconds.

If you then wanted to compare this to Walter Röhrl’s record time of 7:56 you would probably also want to add about 10 more seconds to Ulf’s time as Ulf was on Pirelli Corsa tyres while Röhrl was on stock street tyres.

So slower than Röhrl but still the fastest I’ve ever seen in a GT3. Which makes me wonder how Röhrl is able to do it.

The lap is especially notable because there is absolutely no other traffic – very rare at a public session.

This video first appeared on the Ringers list. Anyone wishing to mirror this video is welcome to do so.

Note that the size is 109MB and the bitrate 1500 so you will need a broadband connection to download it and a pretty fast computer to watch it. No guarantee on how long it will be available.

Happy motoring!!

S.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:35 PM
jro996turbo
Instructor

Thumbs up

Great video! It brought back memories of driving in Europe.. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Awesome video!

How come we do not have something like this here in the US of A? (I am sure if you made the legal disclaimer sign off sheet long enough, you would have no problem!)
Old 11-30-2002, 02:54 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Konrad 996tt:
<strong>
How come we do not have something like this here in the US of A? (I am sure if you made the legal disclaimer sign off sheet long enough, you would have no problem!)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is the really amazing part. It isn't off road at all. Ulf's insurance fully applied during his run and had he crashed, they would have paid. During public sessions the track is considered a private toll road. If you have an accident the police are sometimes called and will produce a police report. Normal road rules apply and insurance coverage applies.

S.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:19 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

On the Ringers list I asked Ulf to compare this lap to Walter Röhrl's record setting lap. I thought his reply might interest those who have viewed the video:

[quote]
Why is Walter Röhrl faster than I am? A good question where there are many explanations to be found. Some major ones are that he is a World Champion, he does drive daily for his living and he does not drive his own cars. I drive seldom and only for my own pleasure in my own car. I also drive with a safety margin, which not is proper for e.g. race speed.

To my time 7:45 BTG, about 24 seconds extra should be added to make a complete lap time. This gives 8:09 in lap time. Walter Röhrl made the complete lap in 7:56. I drove on R-tyres although my set was on their last living time. This gives me although an advantage in a number of seconds.

Horst von Saurma drove on 8:03 on the shortened lap, which Sport Auto uses. I don’t know how much time he gains with this.

Where is Walter Röhrl faster than me? I think he is a little bit faster everywhere. My own feeling for my 7:45-lap (speeds are taken from the speedometer which not is calibrated) is:
· Not much to do in Hatzenbach
· Should be slightly faster over Quiddelbacher Höhe and through Flugplatz
· Should be slightly faster in Schwedenkreuz, it should be taken with a very fine tuned slide, I had 255 km/h before turn in
· Not much to do in Fuchsröhre
· Not much to do through Metzgesfeld and down Kallenhard and Wehrseifen
· Not much do to over the bridge in Adenau and through Laudakurve
· A little bit later braking before Bergwerk
· Should be faster through Mutkurve, 235 km/h before and 181 km/h after the bend
· Not much to do through the Karusell and up over Hohe Acht
· Should be slightly faster through Wipperman
· Not much to do in Esbach, Brünnchen and Eiskurve
· Should be slightly faster through Pflantzgarten I
· Not much to over Sprunghügel and through Scwalbenschwantz
· Should be slightly faster over Galgenkopf.

In general it was a very pleasant lap and I enjoyed it a lot! It was no risk taking and I had no incidents. How much faster can I drive? I don’t know. In the 24 hrs race in June I drove on 10:06 in race traffic with a 911 GT3 Cup with slick tyres on. That is for a complete lap including the new longer GP circuit. It should be about 7:50-7:55 for a complete lap on the Northern loop I think. Hopefully I will take part in the 2003 event in a 911 GT3 RS. It is the most lovely race car to drive. The response from the chassie and the song from the engine is unbelievable. I took part in the Vallelunga 6 hrs race some weeks ago in such a one. We ended up 6th overall and third in our class FIA N-GT. Most enjoyable I must say.

I guess some of you Ringers have some comments!

Bets regards,
Ulf Karlsson
<hr></blockquote>

Ringers is a forum for those that frequent the Nürburgring.

S.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Pete.
Banned

What an amazing place. I have to visit at some time.

One thing that struck me was that the pavement doesn't seem to be as good as most of the tracks that I've driven on in the US. This is porbably just due to the video and the fact that he was driving hard and that his suspension is pretty stiff.

Is the pavement as rough and undulating as it appears?

How the heck did he get an open track? It looks like he was driving at dusk or dawn in any event.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:02 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Pete:
<strong>What an amazing place. I have to visit at some time.

One thing that struck me was that the pavement doesn't seem to be as good as most of the tracks that I've driven on in the US. This is porbably just due to the video and the fact that he was driving hard and that his suspension is pretty stiff.

Is the pavement as rough and undulating as it appears?

How the heck did he get an open track? It looks like he was driving at dusk or dawn in any event.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, the track is every bit as bumpy as it appears. In fact, it is usually necessary to soften the suspension on most race type cars. The standard Cup car is too hard for the NS and must be raised and softened. Most GT3's will be raised else they bottom out.

If you look at the beginning of the video you can see that the ticket window has been closed and the cones on the entryway have been moved back. Ulf obviously timed it so that he would be at the gate just moments before it closed. Most people will wrap up a little before that so this, and first thing in the morning, can be the best times. Trouble with the morning is the tack is often still wet. Still, it is extremely rare that the track will be this empty when it isn't raining.

You should go. You'd love it! It is a real experience. But very dangerous so you need to build up very slowly. Even after more than a year I still have a lot to learn.

Consider putting your Turbo on a boat one summer and using it to tour around Europe.

There is more discussion of this and a couple more video links that might also interest you here:

<a href="http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=996&Number=5504" target="_blank">http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=996&Number=5504</a>

S.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Christian K
Racer

I'd really love to see this clip, unfortunatelly there seems to be some problem. All I get is code in my browser window. I'm sitting on an Apple Macintosh, but have tried Netscape as well as Explorer. Am I missing some software? Any of you guys who are more computer litterate that can help?

cheers

Christian Karlsson

Quick Reply: Amateur video of lap at Nürburgring