Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Warning - Beverly Hills Porsche Service Dept.

Old 12-20-2003, 06:36 PM
mjc123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jim Nowak
Matt,

Kind of off topic but it is a service related question. Anyway, I see you also have a F355. How would you rate the F355 in terms of quality as compared to your Porsche? How about the quality of service from your dealer? I would assume you go to Ferrari of Dallas in Plano?
I haven't had any problems with the 355, but it is rarely driven (think i've got maybe 5,000 miles on it I keep it in California where I only spend a month or two a year, so don't get service from Ferrari Dallas (although the new facility is nice). I can tell you that the Ferrari has cost 10 times more to maintain (primarily due to the $5,000 engine overhaul).

I don't find the cars comparable in any way, really - the 996tt is much faster, more civilized, MUCH less maintenance, better overall quality (all but the first reasons the TT isn't considered an exotic by many). I've got a tubi exhaust on the 355, and man is it awesome. Top down, cruisin in 72 deg weather with that awesome sound - it's the only reason I've held onto the car. You just can't get that sound out of a car with those souped up vacuum cleaners spooling up every time you hit the gas pedal.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

Why did you need to overhaul your engine? How many miles?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:34 PM
mjc123
Instructor

It's the regaular service which Ferrari's need every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or 4-5 yrs. I believe the expensive part is changing out the engine belts, which requires removing the engine.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

"It's the regaular service which Ferrari's need every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or 4-5 yrs. I believe the expensive part is changing out the engine belts, which requires removing the engine."

Man, makes me want to go get a Ferrari. That's just freakin' crazy stupid that you have to take the engine out to service the belts. I'd hate to get a weak belt.....you mean the accessolry belt, timing belt, or?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:51 AM
mjc123
Instructor

timing belts i believe.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:05 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Jim- that's the unmentioned-by-the-magazines differentiator when comparing the desirability of Ferraris and Porsches. The 15,000 mile service is engine-out for 308's thru 355's. It's also true of the Testa Rossa. Everybody should see what that job entails on a Testa Rossa. It's at least a week's work with a high liklihood of bringing a perfect car into the shop and leaving with new problems and a $7,000 charge. That's why every Testa Rossa is sold after the first service and before the second. Even if you can afford the car, the service is offensive because it's wasteful. I understand the 360 is better because you just need to take out the firewall-after you remove the interior. Since the engines are "interference", a failed belt will trash the motor, so owners have no choice except to not drive the car, pay up, or sell. Our worst Porsche gripes are nothing compared to the usual Ferrari expense. AS
Old 12-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Why in the hell would anyone want to own a Ferrari? I haven't found one that I can fit in and it looks to be a good thing. Love the looks of Ferrari's but it appears that the horror stories are true.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:28 PM
mjc123
Instructor

Originally posted by Alexander Stemer
It's at least a week's work with a high liklihood of bringing a perfect car into the shop and leaving with new problems and a $7,000 charge. Even if you can afford the car, the service is offensive because it's wasteful.
Well put. Unlikely I'll own another.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Matt, thanks for your honesty.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:46 PM
AWD
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in L.A., and while I bought my car @ BH Porsche, my car usually gets serviced at Mckenna. I am now considering contacting Schatz @ Rusnak TO, much closer to my house, and I have been hearing good things about Rusnak...for both Porsche and bimmer!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I have had great experience at Rusnak Pasadena. BH porsche dealer was sub standard imho.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:12 AM
ericdee
Racer

Thumbs up

Ditto gbooth on Rusnak Pasadena, a great group of guys over there.

And for BH , that's all I'm going to say.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:25 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

"Why in the hell would anyone want to own a Ferrari?"

That's a rhetorical question - if you're here, you're probably an enthusiast and you already know the answer. They're very high performance art. If you want reliability and inexpensive repairs/maintenance above all else, there are plenty of other choices. If you want absurdly high performance above all else, there are other choices. If you want a 512BBi, or a 288GTO, etc, then, well ....
Old 01-25-2005, 06:21 PM
vyper340
Pro

Originally Posted by Oak
dpj, I wish it was a joke. Your problems are not that uncommon! I try and resolve most of the small stuff personally. Only at the last resort do I take it to the dealership. Seems as if I leave with another problem when the dealership works on my cars.

1. Squeaking brakes (common if driven hard, helps to keep the brakes clean)

2. Both front wheels and passenger rear wheel are flaking paint (not uncommon dealer should repaint, but could happen again. Powder paint is much more durable)

3. Passenger side air intake on rear fender is loose (This is easily fixed)

4. Rear spoiler doesn't quite lower all the way ( This is shy I opted for the fact Aerokit, there were problems with the rear spoiler switch/hydralics)

5. Windscreen wipers chirp very loudly, even when very wet (easily fixed, wipe/clean the blade and use some rubber cleaner/conditioner, or check to see if they are tightened down on the shaft)

6. Clutch pedal squeaks (easily fixed)

7. Passenger side air leak at 80 mph + (easily fixed)

8. Passenger side window mechanism is leaving a one inch wide vertical streak on the inside of the window (easy fix, common mine does this also)

9. Turbo badge behind rear seats is falling off (I don't think this is factory should be an easy fix)

10. Driver's side rear seat belt is torn (dealer should replace)

11. Gas cap does not stay open, plastic clip on locking rod is broken (dealer should repair)

12. Oil consumption seems very high - 500 miles per quart (this is normal, it will get less as you get more miles. but the turbos like oil)

13. Blue smoke briefly emitted when car is started (common occurance, normal)

14. When idling, there is a mechanical rattling noise (common, vario cam chain noises)

15. Rattles at base of both A pillars, rattle from rear (someone mentioned that the dealer sprayed some type of foam insulation and it resolved the noises but has been a common problem on 01, 02 has been upgraded with a beefier pillar that is thicker and more stiffened and continues through to the roof and rear pillar section. Part of the 20% stiffer chassis improvements on the 02's)

16. The vibration through the steering wheel has reappeared at 80 mph. (this is common, due to the tires, someone mentioned that it had to do with the inner cord shifting or some other problem inherent in the tires)

Maybe other owners can chime in.

What was done to fix #6 and #8 ???
Old 01-26-2005, 03:18 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

6. Simple lube of the clutch pedal spring.
8. Lube from power window mechanism deposits some on the window when raised or lowered.
a. Clean window frequently, or
b. Remove door panel and clean mechanism.

Nothing very difficult

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Warning - Beverly Hills Porsche Service Dept.