996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choosing DVD/CD navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003 | 10:57 AM
loliver
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by FJ:
<strong>Now I am officially worried. Can I not retro-fit a nav system because my car is MY2003? Anyone know the answer? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I changed out my entire 03 system I had a Nakamichi cass. deck, in dash cd changer and a sony XM tuner installed. They also made a new carbon fiber surround. It looks factory. All new Focal speakers and 2 JL subs in a custom enclosure that looks stock. The trick is to have a COMPETENT installer leave the stock Fiber optic harness alone and build a whole new harness for the new system, that way when I sell the car, it can be returned to factory. The install cost about $1500.I was going to do a Kenwood touch screen Nav but I like to listen to books on tape on long trips.
Old 07-11-2003 | 12:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FJ,
Yes, retrofitting PCM2 into an MY03 is straightforward (parts are all available from Porsche) and you will only need a simple S/W upgrade via PST2. Dealer can easily accomplish this for you.
Old 07-11-2003 | 12:42 PM
sporters78
Instructor

itc,
any idea what i would cost o add the pcm2 ? and what parts?
thanks
Old 07-11-2003 | 03:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sporters78,
Sorry, I don't have access to Porsche parts prices.

I would suggest contacting Gert at Carnewal, Sunset Imports (advertise cost + 15%) or ClairParts (jim logan, jlogan@clair.com).

I'm sure they can provide cost and delivery information. You can always check with your local Porsche dealer as well.
Old 07-11-2003 | 04:28 PM
SPR
Drifting

Interesting. Yeah for my bekker adapter for my amp - had to devise something, I had to talk with them for about an hour and then they sent me something I had to cut up but it worked great, instead of cutting wires. I don't see how you can't do the same with the same connector for the speakers then wire them to amp or head unit. As for the rest of the fiber optic you just disconnect and leave it. Get another adapter for the head unit power illum etc, which bekker also makes and slap in whatever and finish the wiring. If you're going to use the stock deck and just add an amp - non can bus or most whatever, then I believe you should just be able to use the bekker rca out connector. It looks like it should work the same on the back. If that is the case then you're set. I don't see what the problem is going around the most stuff just as long as you're not trying to use the interface either in the same form or not at all.

BTW I had the ipaq with the gps. I had older software. The new software is pretty good and it is indeed done by navtech but only by one manufacturer - software. I had traveroute garbage. I got sick of it and the fact that it would just hang there. I was going to put a monitor in there and then hook it up with a cf output adapter but then I was like, why spend money on this when I can just buy a better system and have a better stereo anwyays?

Quick Reply: Help choosing DVD/CD navigation system