Sponsored by:

CPO Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Experience

What are your experiences with CPO from Porsche? I understand that it is not as comprehensive as the original warranty.

Were there any items that you were suprised to find out was not covered?

-Ryan
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an '01 996tt last year as a CPO'd car, knowing that the CPO warranty is far more limited than the original new car warranty. In the first 3 months of ownership I had an "airbag failure" warning light and a "rear spoiler failure" warning light come on, both fixed under CPO and saving me about $3,500.

I look at it as more of a "catastrophic insurance" type coverage, but am glad it covered those electronic issues. I had an issue with my PCM1, and the service advisor told me that the PCM system isn't specifically listed as a covered item, but also not specifically listed as excluded. He said he checked with the regional rep, and it was not covered.

I did a search on this forum for this same topic, and many people have had many different experiences -- ranging from "worse than worthless" to completely satisfied. My experience is somewhere in between.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM
ryangambrill
Pro

If you do not mind me asking, did you finance your vehicle? Lease or Buy? Did PFS offer better rates being that it was a CPO vehicle?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 AM
alpha1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased, so I don't know about finance rates.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a CPOd 2001 996TT this past July. At the beginning of August I developed a leak which ended up being from the shift linkage flange on the tranny. They tried to source parts to fix it but they couldn't so I ended up with a new tranny. Thanks to the CPO I wasn't out $10K. Whew!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
vyper340
Pro

It's ok but there are things that should be covered that are left up to dealer discretion. Good dealers will handle your issues while bad ones try to rake you over the coals. Buy and service at the same dealer and you'll have the best chance of things going your way.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:14 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

On every used Porsche that I buy from a dealer which is advertised as having CPO I ask them to remove it and credit me the $1500.........IMHO it is not worth the money and I can buy an aftermarket 36/60 used car warranty that is more comprehensive for about the same money.........CPO is more of a marketing tool than a pure warranty.......funny that......LOL !!!

FWIW....some dealers do the CPO inspection but do not repair the car's faults....preferring to let the owner/warranty do it when the time comes.....whereas others do not even do the inspection either.....but some do it right however.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by vyper340
It's ok but there are things that should be covered that are left up to dealer discretion. Good dealers will handle your issues while bad ones try to rake you over the coals. Buy and service at the same dealer and you'll have the best chance of things going your way.
There is a list of what parts are covered under the CPO warranty. You can have the service dept go over the list if you ask. To me is additional peace of mind. I have around a thousand miles on my new-to-me car and so far the generator/alternator and the master clutch cylinder have been replaced. Since it is CPO I don't have to deal with a third party company... all is done at the dealer. To me that is additional less hassel to deal with. So in my case, it was money well spent. Just like the additional US$300.00 I paid for a 5 year wheel and tire warranty.

Quick Reply: CPO Experience