Sponsored by:

996TT vs. 996NA, maintenance / reliability / Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 AM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996TT vs. 996NA, maintenance / reliability / Longevity

I've been shopping for 2002+ 996, and realized there are some 996TT that can be had for not much more (25-50%). Since TT is my dream car, I am starting to look into TT ownership. My main concern is with cost of ownership.

How does 996TT compare to 996?

1. I've read that 996TT use a more robust engine. does that mean it is more reliable? better longevity? how about the transmission? is TT's more reliable?

2. Are they basically (mechanically) the same car (other than power of course) ? if so, cost of ownership should be any higher, right? example, does a brake job cost more on a TT? does a tuneup cost more on a TT?

pretty sure there are a few parts that will cost quite a bit more (TT will need turbos later in life). but if TT is more reliable (engine wise), then cost of ownership should even out in the long run.

am I just rationalizing? trying to convinc myself of TT ownership. may be TT do cost as much as a Ferrari to maintain !!

thanks all for your input.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-08-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

major maitanence is mor e frequent on a turbo 30k instead of 60k, and it is mroe work to change the spakr plugs so it is slightly more expensive. The engines are bullet proof Ive seen 3 fail in the last 5 years, and one was an evo 750 car with nitrous, Turbos dont go bad on these cars, I have replaced one and it didnt fix the problem ive seen a few 100k+ turbos that have never needed turbos, transmissions last as long as the driver will let it. poor driving on either car can lead to damaged transmissions and smoked clutchs.
The turbos have bigger brakes so when it needs brakes it will be slightly more, but it also stops better
Turbos have bigger tires so they will cost more.
TT is far cheaper then a ferrari to maintain over the life of a tt you wont spend the same as one service on a ferari
If insurance wouldnt rape me to the tune of 750 a month id have a tt
Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 48 Posts

My 2003 X50 Turbo now has 116,000+ miles on it - repairs have included a right front bearing, left rear bearing, front differential (related to the front bearing issue). I do all the normal 15k services and oil changes every 5k miles - it's my daily driver and I have nothing bad to say about the car - it gives me a $hite eatin' grin at least twice a day - do not hesitate get the turbo and never look back. If you buy the 996 you will only be second guessing your decision in two months anyways so make the TT a reality.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:12 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I am in the same boat on the TT...... I can't believe mainteneance/things that can go wrong will be less than with a NA engine.. A turbo car has more oil lines and many more vacuum hoses. With that said though I dont think it would be any less "reliable" or have less longevity.

Last edited by rcg412; 09-08-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:16 AM
rajtt
AutoX

Default Got Dry Sump?

The 99TT has a true dry sump lubricated engine directly derived from the Le Mans winning GT1 racer while the the NA 996 does not (part of Porsche's cost savings strategy on their higher volume runners). This alone to me justifies the price of admission for the Turbo. The other differences and cost of ownership have been well oulined by previous posters.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I got into one recently... having the same concerns you mentioned. I got one with a few hundred miles left of the factory warranty and two additional years of Porsche Certified PreOwned warranty.

I suggest, minimizing risk, to get a car with some warranty left and extended warranty from Porsche if possible. That will give you a bit more peace of mind.

Major service is the 60k the cost of this service with a brake flush (I suggest doing so at the same time you do the 60k) costs around US$1,500.00 at the Porsche Dealer.

Long term cost will really depend on how much work you can do vs. what you will need to have a shop perform. Amounts of mods vs leaving the car stock, how much you abuse the car, driving habits (hard launches,etc.).

I am trying to collect/document the most common issues to proactively swap/change parts (for example, coolant expansion tank, diverter valves, hoses, etc.) or to just be aware of what could go wrong (clutch slave or accumulator, etc).

These are not your regular 996 engines and tranny… that is a good thing as the engine and transmission in the 996TT is the real deal (same goes for the GT2 and GT3). That is why I wanted a TT (or GT3) and was willing to wait for prices to come down rather than jumping on a regular 996 or 997 (no matter how much I like the looks of the 997).

Make sure you do a pre-purchase inspection and go over the history of the car (I got my dealer to give me a print-out of all service performed in my car).

Good luck in your search and be sure to post an update once you buy your car (post photos as well).

Last edited by Wachuko; 09-08-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Originally Posted by bellwilliam

I'm I just rationalizing? trying to convince myself of TT ownership. may be TT do cost as much as a Ferrari to maintain !!

thanks all for your input.
If you want to convince yourself of TT ownership test drive one that is all it will take. Actually you don't even need to test drive one just go to the dealership and sit in one and you will be sold. Just 6 months ago I had a Chrysler 300C yep with a HEMI and a Supercharger with bigger boost kit, and all kinds of modifications. I was spending so much time and money trying to make that car faster and handle better that I decided to quite screwing around and just get the car I really wanted. So I did 4 months ago I purchased a 2002 Turbo with 18,500 miles on it. I didn't mind an older car because the owner already purchased the extended warranty that covered the car for another 4 years or 48,000 miles. For me a non turbo was not even an option. The car is my daily driver and I drive it everywhere I can. I'll drive across town for a stick of gum just so I can go for a drive.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM
bellwilliam
Intermediate

thanks all for excellent posts.

my question was: does 996TT cost more to maintain than a 996NA? I don't mind paying more initially for a TT, I am worried that there are some unexpected cost associated with TT (and not NA)

I always look at cost of ownership (rather than just purchase price), which includes:

depreciation - pretty sure TT wins hands down in the long run. TT will always have that "gotta have one before I die" factor

insurance - pretty sure NA wins hands down

"Grin factor" - TT wins

maintenance - this is where I am confused about. comparing both cars. they are essentially the same car other than the engine. from everything I've read so far, TT has a more reliable (or robust) engine. Does this mean TT is cheaper to maintain in the long run (at least not more) ?

Of the mechanical issues mentioned in posts above, do they apply on NA as well ? I am more worried (with TT) if these issues are specific on TT only.

what are issues apply on NA only, and what issues apply on TT only? I am looking for more of a comparison. thanks !!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 99 Boxster tip(wife's summer car), which has the same architecture as a 996 normally aspirated, and an 02ttX50 6 speed. Each has over 30,000 miles. The Boxster had a leaking coolant resevoir, the tt had a faulty oil pressure sending unit. That's it, so I'd call it a draw.

The tt 30,000 mile service cost about $1500 more than the Boxster, and it wears out tires about twice as fast. The more expensive car always depreciates more, though the per centage may be less.

The tt is incomparably more fun to drive. The tt is also a year round car (with snows).
Get what you can afford. Make sure the tt is stock, hasn't been beaten, and certified, if possible. Take your time, there are enough out there so you can be choosey. AS
Old 09-09-2006, 12:56 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the maintenance factor IS NOT a reason to not get the TT, many good posts above already, so I can only add my emotional input. I also looked at a late model 996, then realized ah I could get the 997 then the S then the 4S then oh well I am in TT territory. Then drive them and compare. Then forget it, you cant even consider a 996/7. The TT is the way to go!!!! You wont be sorry, join the club and enjoy!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Indykid
Advanced

I've own a 996 n/a then a 993tt and just recently bought a 996tt. I can say that I haven't had any maintence issues with any of the cars with the expection of a ****ty mechanic working on my 993tt.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Baumhaus
6th Gear

BUMP this thread years later! Im considering a 996 TT vs 996C4 both 2004 I would have the IMS done on the C4 so what else after all these years do I need to watch out for in the TT vs. C4 (both cabs) debate?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I guess in 2006 the IMS bearings and scored cylinders was not an issue yet?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Baumhaus
BUMP this thread years later! Im considering a 996 TT vs 996C4 both 2004 I would have the IMS done on the C4 so what else after all these years do I need to watch out for in the TT vs. C4 (both cabs) debate?

You bumped a 10 year old thread rather than just use google to see what's transpired in that time?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m always amazed by the initial questions of a future 996tt buyer, when literally hundreds of times these questions have been answered and easily found by a google search. I’m not trying to be an ****, but if your willing to drop money on anything a little research can go a long way.

Quick Reply: 996TT vs. 996NA, maintenance / reliability / Longevity