Sponsored by:

PCM II question / retro-fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 04:10 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PCM II question / retro-fit

I remeber this being asked before but could not find it!!!
Can PCM II be retro-fit into an '01 or '02 TT that already has regular PCM??
Old 07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
FELKER
Racer

NO.... They do not have the MOST network.. so the PCM would not have the data from the OBD II..

If you do not want the trip computer display on the PCM, then it may be possible..

Mounting is not a problem... The GPS antenna is not a problem, the Reverse signal is not, the speed signal may be a problem since I bet he PCM II gets it from the OBD2 via the MOST not the wire for the pre-2003..

the bottom line, you will not know until you try.. so spend the $$$ get a PCM 2 ($3500) and let us know!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
msindi,
do not waste your money buying a PCMII for your car. it will not work.

PCMII is a full MOST system, as is the entire MY03 car from an infotainment perspective; the audio content and control signals are passed digitally via the fiber optic network which connects all MOST nodes/devices in a topology similar to token ring.
OBDII has nothing to do with this. FWIW, the instrument panel/cluster acts as the CAN-MOST gateway for non infotainment content when necessary.

The MY01 and 02 cars were analog based systems; the audio is controlled by the headunit and merely passed to the amplifier.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:25 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Thanx Itc - where in MA are you??
This PCM II question was actually for a friend of mine with an 02 - what if one switches all the wiring head unit, etc.. can the conversion be done??
Old 07-10-2003, 12:20 AM
FELKER
Racer

final answer.. I just realized this. NO way will a MOST radio, CDR23 or PCM II, work in a pre-2003 car.

The "security code" is stored in the car's computer and relayed to the radio via MOST each time the car is started... so.. without the MOST the radio cannot be "unlocked" and thus will not function....
Old 07-10-2003, 12:50 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

So can you retrofit the whole MOST thing?? I mean change EVERYTHING
Old 07-10-2003, 12:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
msindi,
I live in MA down on the RI border and work in Framingham (Bose Corp designing DSP automotive amplifiers). Not a bad gig, especially the trips to Germany and the Porsche factory (a personal favorite next to blasting around on the A8).

It is possible to retofit MOST into a pre MY03 car, but it involves a tremendous amount of work, adding a MOST connection from headunit to new MOST/MY03 amplifier, changing the instrument pod/cluster to MY03, reprogramming via PST2, and that's just a start. It is not something a dealer is trained or equipped to do and I don't know of any aftermarket installers who could either. Essentially you would upgrade all infotainment devices & I/P to MY03 parts and wiring. I could not even begin to imagine what it would cost to buy all the stuff from Porsche.

It would probably be easier to just buy an off the shelf DVD/NAV unit; which are a bit better than Porsche PCM/NAV.

MY01/MY02 Porsches are analog, so upgrades are a piece of cake with virtually no limitations or restrictions. MY03+ cars (Porsche, Audi A8 and some Mercedes) with MOST are a PITA and basically rule out commercial upgrades at this time.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Itc - that is cool.
Mr. Bose himself (actually Professor Bose) teaches at my school (MIT)

Quick Reply: PCM II question / retro-fit