Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CJV- Can a fuel treatment clean the cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:36 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Post CJV- Can a fuel treatment clean the cats?

I've looked at the label of about 5 fuel treatments, and all claim to clean everything from the injectors to the intake valves and combustion chamber deposits, but I've seen no claims for the cats. Is Prolong different? (it wasn't on the rack at my local AutoZone) AS
Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 PM
cobra06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a product called: "Catalytic converter cleaner and deodorizer" its also supposed to clean the O2 sensors and EGR as well. I'M a little sceptical that anything could make it through combustion and maintain enough cleaning ability to do much...but then I question just about everything
Old 10-31-2002, 07:32 AM
cobra06
Pro

[quote] When I used it my exhaust color went from black to an ash white or light gray. <hr></blockquote>
CJV, FWIW thats what I saw when I burned 110 octane, leaded fuel. White ash looking exhaust..
Old 10-31-2002, 04:49 PM
cobra06
Pro

This is a description of the product I was thinking of.........

"Catalytic Converter Cleaner helps eliminate "rotten egg" odor. A clogged or restricted Catalytic Converter can decrease fuel efficiency, rob horsepower, cause engine overheating and premature engine wear. Catalytic Converter Cleaner extends time between tune-ups, increases fuel efficiency, and extends the life of your converter."

<a href="http://www.autobarn.net/chcat-1.html" target="_blank">Autobarn</a>
Old 11-01-2002, 07:18 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by cobra06:
<strong>
CJV, FWIW thats what I saw when I burned 110 octane, leaded fuel. White ash looking exhaust..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Once upon a time, that was always the colour of the exhaust. In fact, I remember having to get use to this black stuff.

Aircraft still use leaded fuel (100LL). It is about four times the lead that use to be in leaded petrol. That is also nice and gray.

Lead is one of the reasons that there is no fully synthetic oil in piston aircraft engines. It cannot handle the lead. I really don't miss lead in auto engines....

S.

Quick Reply: CJV- Can a fuel treatment clean the cats?