Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 01:48 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 335 Likes on 232 Posts
Post My RUF exhaust experience....

I thought I would share my experience with Asgar @ Weissach and the RUF 996TT exhaust:

Like many on the board, I desired the performance of a sport exhaust without the noise and based on the overwhelming positive feedback on the RUF, I ordered one. As soon as the car was started with the RUF exhaust, I could tell it was louder - and in my opinion, it was considerably louder. Upon driving the car and there was no question the sound had changed and the decibels substantially increased over the entire spectrum. After a week, I was tired of the extra noise and wanted the quieter stock sound back again. I took my car back to my technician and had the stock system put back on - I was happy to hear the stock sound again, but missed the performance. The car definetely ran better with the RUF and I liked the twin tip look better, but the tradeoff was not worth it to me. I was about to put the RUF up for sale on the board when I thought to myself, "why don't I call RUF (Asgar @ Weissach) and see if they will take it back". I called Asgar and explained to him my feelings about the exhaust. He told me that he could make a "quiet version" with all of the performance of the standard RUF twin tip exhaust, but without the increased noise. He added that the internals are exactly like the standard RUF twin tip version and that the "only" difference was it had the single outlet that accepts the stock tips and that it was just "very slightly" louder than stock. He offered to have it made and send it free of charge, if I just returned the other one and then added that "he just wanted to see me happy". I was extremely skeptical that a change from two outlet pipes to one would make such a profound difference, but I figured that I should try it and see, since he was willing to go to such great lengths to satisfy me........ Well, yesterday the "custom" exhaust went on and when the car turned over, I really liked what I heard. It sounded like stock, quiet, but with just a hint of something different - a little fuller sound. I listened as my technician backed the car out and it sounded extremely nice. Very normal, not loud at all, but sporty. Now it was time for the test drive. Instantly, I was stunned as the exhaust was absolutely delightful sounding and the car ran strong. I drove several miles and found the new system to be just like Asgar described.... it was just slightly louder than stock (hardly any louder at all) and slightly fuller. Under WOT it really sounds nice - again a little louder, a little fuller, just enough to notice, but thats it. And the RUF performance is back!

The bottom line is........I love it! I am very pleased with this offering. If you think you may have issues with the loudness of a sport exhaust, I can practically guarantee that you would not have any complaints with this RUF version. It's kind of neat in that it looks stock, but you are running an enhanced package. Very stealth, except for the slight change in exhaust note to remind you there is something special under there.

And finally, Asgar should be commended for the manner in which he took an unpleasant experience and turned it around. To coin a phrase, now I get to "have my cake and eat it too!"

Thanks, Asgar.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
The following users liked this post:
Skrizzo (03-21-2023)
Old 10-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Paul V S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

john, you are a gentleman for taking the time to post how you were treated. that is a real feather in ruf's and weissach's cap. thanks for posting, and i'm glad you're happy with your exhaust.

Quick Reply: My RUF exhaust experience....