Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I want to know...is how...with all this carbon fibre does it still weigh 3000lbs??

Gotta be a lot of sound deadening everywhere in that car....

Les Quam, I believe Porsche actually designed the Carrera GT to be a race car initially...but when the rules were changed, they had to scratch that...so to prevent all this lost development money, they put the car on the street...
Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Frank Sinatra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post Quam.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:38 AM
caneaddict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les
I definately appreciate your arguments. However, while I agree with everything you have said, none of it influences my predictions. See my predictions aren't based on the quality of the car. They are based on the quantity of the car. In my opinion even if the GT far surpasses everything else available for the next ten years it will still depreciate heavily because of the quantity produced. One caveat to my theory is that Porsche may not produce the supposed 1500 cars and thus depreciation will be minimized. But in this economy, if Porsche produces 1500 cars I will stick to my estimates. I will be here 18 months after production begins and we will see if the GT can be had in the 200's. Until then it is all conjecture.

By the way Larry Coker did choose the right QB (I go to every practice and scrimmage) for next year. We will win the National Championship. And please don't ever mention "The Phantom Call". I have spent countless days with several therapists finding my "happy place" after that game. Finally I just broke down and paid a guy to hypnotize me into believing that we won the game. While he was at it I had him fix the robbery from 2001. We played Oklahoma and won!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

I am highly skeptical that Porsche will find 1500 customers with $400k plus to spend on a sports car. If they do sell in that volume, then I tend to agree with those who fortell a sharp depreciation in a relatively short time after production starts.

Alternatively, Porsche dealers could wind up with a bunch of these sitting on the showroom floor. I know the first "round" of cars are supposedly spoken for.....but how many are serious customers that will keep the car? After the initial rush, assuming the market doesnt pick up considerably, I just don't see over a thousand customers stepping to the plate.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:37 AM
caneaddict
Racer

I will alter my prediction slightly. My new prediction is that they end up producing about 600-800 over 2 years. They will reduce production when the cars stop selling. Remember, dealers don't have to take their full allocation of any car. Once the prices fall most dealers won't take more allocation and Porsche will stop production.

If I were the marketing guy for Porsche I would suggest to announce that they initially intend to build 600 and that they have the capacity to build more should the market demand it. That way current buyers will feel better about the production numbers yet Porsche stays flexible. Also if they sell 600 they can call it a success. However when you announce that you will build 1500 and then stop after 600, it doesn't look very good.

In any event, kudos to Porsche for building a great car that will be a part of history!
Old 05-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Les Quam
Pro

CANEADDICT, one way to project demand is to determine how many allocations are still open. I know of three. One in Florida, one in Ilinois.one in California. Thats at 50,000 a pop as the required deposit.These are still available at MSRP.These allocations encompass the next three years or the current model run. If very few if any allocations remain then Porshe will sell at least in North America their projected run of cars. I presume the coach was also at all the practices. What he picked in the opinion of us southwest UM alumni is Gino Torreta the sequel. What he has is, Michael Vick on the bench.Here in Vegas we have an unofficial over and under until coach yanks your starter.Want in? By the way how is your therapy going in regard to Doug Flutie's pass and Testaverde's end zone interception.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Ted Brewer
Advanced

With 1500 cars scheduled for production, I suspect we will see a second derivitive produced. Call it an "S" if you like. It could be a lighter, more track oriented car without AC, navigation, phone, stereo, sound insulation, etc. It might also employ a different race oriented engine mounting such that the engine becomes a stressed member. This would not only reduce weight but would probably be required for homolgation purposes if the factory decides to run the car at LeMans in 04 or 05. (I may be dreaming here). If the factory does have plans for an "S", they would likely not announce that now since an S could cannibalize base car sales which they would like to have now. Also, I believe 04,05 LeMans rules are still undecided.

This could all be wishful thinking on my part but, who knows?

Ted
Old 05-27-2003, 04:20 PM
caneaddict
Racer

Les
That's GREAT news. I hope Porsche really produces 1500 units because that would mean that I would definately get my GT within 2 years. However I would still be shocked if Porsche sold all 1500 units.

It's too bad I don't know how to work the emotion icons because I would show one with a jaw dropped. "Michael Vick on the bench"! Have you ever actually watched Crudup play? Try Ray Lucas as a comparison not Vick. He can't make a decision and scrambles around until he's sacked. He has made one good play in his career (just before we sent Dorsey back into the Fiesta). The guy has matured a bit but I don't think anyone would feel comfortable with him under center. The coach was at the srimmages and practices, that's why he chose Berlin VERY quickly after Spring practice ended. Please send me a PM about ANY wager regarding Berlin being taken out for Crudup (excluding injury).

Sorry for going off topic guys but my username explains why!

Hey Les are you in Vegas. My buddy's family owns the antique shop in the Venetian so we go out there once in a while to see him. Maybe we can meet up.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Caneaddict, If half of the current NFL quarterbacks had to practice against the cane defense they would be scrambling for their lives also. All I know is in the championship game that kid came in cold and threw a bullet to the sideline on a difficult out pass and hit the receiver perfect. If your coach had left him in instead of putting back an injured Dorsey you would still be celebrating...... Ted In regard to a Carrera S. The Carrera comes standard without all the comforts, meaning radio etc. are no cost options you can order your GT with no radio, no air... Caneaddict Brumos still has an allocation left you could get a Carrea and watch the cane practices from your GT with the tops off. Then watch Gino I mean Brock Berlin ride the bench all season after he fizzles early. Yes I do live in Vegas and its over 100 here today thanks for asking.... But it's a dry heat.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:34 PM
caneaddict
Racer

Les
No thanks on that Brumos slot. I'll wait till they come down to where I'm comfortable with the depreciation. Take really good care of your GT, maybe it will be the one I buy after it's had a year or two of depreciation.

Yes, Crudup played well for that ONE PLAY. I'm sure glad you don't scout for us. If I was impressed everytime an athlete had one good play, I'd be calling the Bengals next year's champions. Remember that most of the things a QB does are "invisible." Calling the correct audible or finding the hot receiver after reading the defence is very critical but doesn't come up in the stats. Brock has done a better job of learning the offense and therefore he's more comfortable out there. I am shocked and confused that you are rating two quarterbacks that you have probably seen participate in less then a dozen plays combined. I've watched countless hours of these guys in practice and scrimmage. I've seen how the other players respond to them. THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Caneaddict, my Porsche buying history is one of buy high, sell low.So you just might get my GT and I agree with you that this car will be available and will depreciate to some extent. That extent is unknown. All my friends swoop around like vulture's waiting for my next trade in, so why should you be any different.I have no will power and can't wait for this car.Low 11 second car off the showroom floor to hard to resist. As for this QB thing ,tell the truth come clean here.The only reason your pulling for Berlin is because Berlin is in Germany and Germany makes Porsche's.If this guys name was Dodge you would be right with me. You know you never use your name here on this board are you really coach Coker? My Michael Vick clone has better wheels better arm and from what I have read when the whole racial thing came up more support from the team.And for you being shocked and confused I should send you my last years fantasy football roster then you would no the real meaning of shocked and confused.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:56 AM
caneaddict
Racer

This will be my last non Porsche post on this thread as I don't want to go too far off topic.

If you really want a QB who looks good on paper I think Ryan Leaf is out there somewhere!
You should really see Berlin's accuracy (I think he will be better for us than Dorsey). Also while Crudup's arm could be as strong as Berlin, you can never tell because he's scared of throwing the long ball (for good reason, lack of accuracy). The players like Crudup but they all RESPECT Berlin's skills (I talk to them sometimes after practice). If you had an anonymous player vote I believe Berlin would win handily.

PM me about fantasy football for next year. I usually do one league with my friends. But if you have a spot open in any league you'll be doing let me know. Actually this would be a good way to stay in touch with you so I can nudge your friends out of the way when the GT becomes available at a very nice discount.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT