Sponsored by:

996TT oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 01:11 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 996TT oil pressure question

Sorry for the repeat if you have already seen this in other forums..

I recently acquired a brand new 996TT. The oil tank is about 50% full, however, during cold starts I get sometime a message saying that the oil pressure is too low. The message is only visible for 1 second or
so. Once the message disappears, no warning light is on.

Should I worry about this or is this normal during a cold start?

Have you seen this with your 996TT?

Thanks

Arnaud
Old 06-02-2001, 02:33 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What you are experiencing may be normal here. Upon initial startup, it takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to build-up. However, what do you mean by the oil tank being 50% full? You must ensure that the dipstick is showing oil at least to the minimum mark.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:46 AM
AW
Pro

The 996 TT does not have a dipstick. It has an electronic gauge with several graduations. The gauge on my car is right in the middle between min and max. This is what I mean by 50%
Old 06-02-2001, 08:02 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arnaud,
On the 993TT, the manual says that the gauge showing a level of 3 o clock is normal (this level would also be the midpoint of the gauge). Remember that the gauge atleast on the 993TT represents only the last two or three quarts of oil and they allow for some travel over the optimum level so that we know that we are overfilling and it should stop us from continuing to pour.

NOW THE ABOVE applies to the 993TT but I suspect that it may well apply to the 996TT too. The manual may be a place to confirm the above as my 993TT manual tells me where the needle should rest.
Old 06-02-2001, 12:32 PM
AW
Pro

I just realized that saying the oil tank is at 50% full is completely wrong. What I meant was half way between min level and max level.

Anyhow I suspect there is a problem with my car that causes it to build oil pressure a bit slower than normal. I just gave it another try and it looks like it needs maybe 2 to 3 seconds to reach the normal pressure.

Another point is that if I stop the engine and start again, the problem does not take place.

I would assume this is normal if there was no text warning from the computer claiming the oil pressure is too low. This warning is kind of scary although it only last a few seconds.

The key question is whether other 996 TT owners have seen this and whether I should
avoid driving the car until a dealer checks it.

Thanks!

Arnaud
Old 06-02-2001, 12:44 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Based on your description, you do not have a problem. Oil pressure always takes longer to build when both engine and oil are cold. Two to three seconds is perfectly normal for a boxer engine with a dry-sump system.
Old 06-02-2001, 12:46 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG>Remember that the gauge atleast on the 993TT represents only the last two or three quarts of oil </STRONG>
Hey Ran,

I don't know if the 993TT's oil gauge is different from that on the regular 993, but on my gauge, from the bottom (in the red) to the top of the gauge is just barely more than one quart. I only bring this up because in the past many people have complained that their gauge didn't not work, or at least did not provide worthy information because it did not correspond accurately to what was shown on the dipstick. Mine has always corresponded accurately with the dipstick.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

DJ,

I think its most likely the same kind of gauge though I am not sure. You are probably more exact. I was just trying to let Arnaud know that the midway mark on the oil level indicator did NOT mean that he only had 50% of the oil that was required.

I just did not know for sure whether the gauge represented the last quart or the last two quarts or three quarts but I wanted to convey to ARnaud the fact that the gauge did NOT represent the entire oil tank but just the top part of it! I had made that mistake when I first took delivery

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for being sloppy. I'll check the manual and I suspect mine too corresponds (i.e. dipstick twist area to the entire gauge area AND yes, fortunately, like you, I have a fully functional gauge) Regards.

ARNAUD,

2 or 3 seconds sounds awfully quick to worry about to me. Check it if it will give you peace of mind but I wouldnt worry over the weekend

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-02-2001, 02:08 PM
AW
Pro

I think I now understand the problem.
I always keep the car in first gear in my garage hence when I start the engine, the car is not in neutral. This is not a problem since the clutch needs to be pressed anyway.

I believe the 996 TT computer issues a warning while the oil pressure is building if the car is not in neutral.

I just tried starting the engine cold while in neutral and sure enough, no warning was issued.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Arnaud
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

bump
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
bump
Um, why are you bumping a 10 year old thread?

Anyway, I've NEVER seen a low oil pressure light during cold startup...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Um, why are you bumping a 10 year old thread?

Anyway, I've NEVER seen a low oil pressure light during cold startup...
Same here. And I've started my cars plenty of times cold, and sometimes real cold.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996TT oil pressure question