X-50 vs. Viper GTS VIDEO!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 12:01 PM
96VIPERGTS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up X-50 vs. Viper GTS VIDEO!!

Hello,
I have been thiking of getting a 996 x-50 for a while. I come here often to get info. The other day a friend of mine bought a 2003 996 x-50. I love the interior and so many other things about the car but I was a bit skeptical about the speed. I asked him to run the it against my GTS. I had a friend video. It was such a good race I decided to build a page to display it. I thought some of you wuld like to see it so I just registered and here it is. Hope you like it.
Gary Javo
<a href="http://www.garyjavo.com/viperporsche.htm" target="_blank">http://www.garyjavo.com/viperporsche.htm</a>
Old 04-11-2003, 12:29 PM
dpj
Instructor

No offense, I was recently at Willow Springs Big Track, (this is a pretty fast road course for those who don't know). I was lapping a Viper GTS (and a couple of Z06's) with ease, it's definitely fast in a straight line, however once we got into the turns, I could close and pass at will.....frankly it got boring. The biggest challenge that day came from a race prepped 914 with a 993 motor in it and another modded 996 TT. BTW, my car is a non X-50 996 TT.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:39 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I will be the first to put my two cents in here. Now, bear in mind, my comments will be EXTREMELY prejudiced due to my love for the Porsche marque, but, hey that is my right, right?
So, without further adieu, the overwhelming thought that plants itself in my mind is this:
On the one hand, you have one of America's top shelf sports cars (the other being the venerable Corvette). On the other hand you have one of Europe's most capable supercars.
What I find so amazing is how well the Porsche fares against America's best at America's game, straight line acceleration. As we all know, since the fifties, the Hot Rodders have always used the standing quarter mile, and other straight line races, as the ubiquitous comparison test. The truly interesting part, however, is how superior the Porsche is with handling and on any road course. Where you find the Porsche accelerating through twists and turns, suspension upsets and road irregularities, you will also find the Viper stalled in a spin. To possess both traits in one car leaves but one thing to say.
Porsche......There is no substitute.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:55 PM
96VIPERGTS
6th Gear

dpj,
no offense taken. I have never taken my GTS or any of my cars to a road coarse. I bet it would be a blast though. Maybe when, if, I get an x-50 I'll try it. I must say that back when I got my Car & Driver 10000 hp shootout a few months ago they tested a stock z06, GTS, and 996tt and I dont remember the 996 lapping anyone. I dont remember the exact details but it was pretty close. I remember being impressed with all three cars. That was one of the reasons I started looking into a 996. I may have an x-50 soon so I'll just have to wait and see for myself.

KPV,
Car looks great man! I am a dealer for hre and plan to put a set of 19"s on the 996 if I decide to get it. Are your wheels 19s? I also like some of the techart stuff.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:08 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

96VIPERGTS,
Glad to hear no offense was taken. This is all good clean fun. The wheels are in fact 19's. You can see more photos by clicking on the link in my signature area and then additionally clicking on the text below each photo of each car. There are plenty of pics to see so check it out and let me know what you think.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
96VIPERGTS
6th Gear

KPV,
Car looks great. Was a 315 the widest the car would accept or can you go with a 335-25-19?

Also I was wondering what is th best way to launch the car. I was surprized that the car had some wheel hop when launched too hard. Are we doing something wrong?
Old 04-11-2003, 01:28 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Regarding the tires, two important aspects come into play. The first is that the front and rear overall tire diameters must match each other so that there isn't a differential in rotational speeds of the front wheels vs. the rear wheels. This is to insure the longevity and proper functioning of the four wheel drive system and more specifically the viscous coupling. In addition, the overall tire diameter really shouldn't differ by more than .2 inches from the factory diameter. The 235/35/19's and the 315/25/19's have essentially the same overall diameter. Since the PSM computer relies on various sensor inputs to function properly, I would think the use of larger diameter tires (inherent in your 335/25/19 suggestion) would fool the computer into thinking the car was traveling slower than it really is. This could have profound detrimental effects on the PSM functionality.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:40 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Server too busy!

It always shocks me just HOW many people there are browsing rennlist...
Old 04-11-2003, 01:44 PM
96VIPERGTS
6th Gear

I just did the math and a 235-35-19 would have an overall diameter of 25.476 inches. The 335-25-19 would have a 25.594 inches overall diameter for a difference of 0.118 inches theoretically. Looks like that should work. I was just wondering because I love the look of a big meaty tire. The bigger the better for me. BTW your 315-25-19 comes out to 25.201 inches, 0.275 inches shorter than the front.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:56 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

96VIPERGTS,
I know, I know. Quite frankly the whole tire sizing thing is retarded. I have done the math numerous times on numerous tires for numerous cars and inevitably, it boils down to looking at the specific manufacturer's specs.
Just think, why in the world would you have a tire express width in millimeters and rim diameter in inches? Couple that with the lack of standardization with aspect ratios and widths and sidewall heights and you have ONE BIG MESS. My only words of advice are to check out the manufacturer's specific tire specs.
You know, this post hijacking was due to your question!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:05 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Here is a quote from a britsh magazine called autocar that was posted on another board:
"Autocar did a test with a Murcielago, Zonda S and an X50 TT.
They lined them all up, guess who got to 30mph the fastest..the tt, the zonda drew level by 60 and the murcielago was reading Turbo for the whole time..."
Old 04-11-2003, 02:20 PM
96VIPERGTS
6th Gear

msindi,
your car looks great. must have been a great feeling to bring that baby home. Maybe one day I will know.

KPV,
sounds like you've done the leg work. I'll take your word for it. 315's it is.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:41 PM
RWHP
Intermediate

dpj, and KPV

Obviously both of you lack any actual knowledge of what Vipers are capable of at road courses. Just because you lapped someone driving one does not mean you can lap them all or even close to it.

Just curious as to exactly what lap times you were running in your x50? Why you ask? Well, simple actually I would be willing to bet that a Viper stock has run faster period.

996's are great cars, and the Porsche stability management makes good drivers great ones. But bottom line is a Viper with equal drivers will turn faster lap times at just about every type of auto racing there is. Except maybe the Dacar rally .
Old 04-11-2003, 05:50 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RWHP:
<strong>dpj, and KPV

Obviously both of you lack any actual knowledge of what Vipers are capable of at road courses. Just because you lapped someone driving one does not mean you can lap them all or even close to it.

Just curious as to exactly what lap times you were running in your x50? Why you ask? Well, simple actually I would be willing to bet that a Viper stock has run faster period.

996's are great cars, and the Porsche stability management makes good drivers great ones. But bottom line is a Viper with equal drivers will turn faster lap times at just about every type of auto racing there is. Except maybe the Dacar rally .</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I was just thinking the same exact thing.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've raced Vipers many times with a Ruf 993 Turbo R. With stock Vipers, when my speedo reads 180, the Vipers are usually reading 140. The last Viper I raced had about 440 RWHP (i.e., smooth tubes, free-flow exhaust, Archer engine re-build, K&N filter). From a dead start, I would be about 2 cars length ahead by 100 MPH. From a running start at 60 MPH, the Ruf would pull ahead the whole time. When I hit 180, the 440 RWHP Viper would be 15 or 20 cars lengths behind.

This behavior makes some sense with the published numbers. A Ruf Turbo R hits 150 MPH in about 15 seconds. A stock viper takes about 23 seconds.

I've never raced a supercharged or turbo Viper. These owner's don't usually care about racing. They already know, rightly so, that they can beat most modified Porsches. Porsche just can't compete with a forced-air engine that's more than double it's size.

Quick Reply: X-50 vs. Viper GTS VIDEO!!