Sponsored by:

Boost in a Gt2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Boost in a Gt2

Coming from a Gt3 and never having owned a turbo before, I've got several questions.

1. When does the full boost come on? When I look down at the bar gauge it starts to show .3 at about 3000 then rises to about .8 to .9 at 5500 or so and then she will show a 1.0 right at peak. Mind you I'm trying to drive, look at the rpm, and boost gauge at the same time. So don't take this as gospel, I'm trying to do a seat of my pants observation.

2. Should you shift slightly short of redline, say 6200 to 6500 rpm, since boost starts to tail off at that point?

3. I notice that the boost isn't as high in 1st and 2nd gear, even though I run it to 6000 rpm, usually about 6 or 7 on the bar gauge, but 3rd into 4th and on, holy ****, hang on, it feels like a freight train. Is this normal? Is this what everyone refers to as turbo lag?

4. The steering felt a little loose. The steering wheel felt like there was a little play in it. Northing extreme, just different. Is that normal? Not used to that, my Gt3's steering wheel travel was non-existant. No play whatsoever. Very tight. Maybe she needs an alignment.

5. Finally just a thought, stock this thing is very fast. She will get sideways in an instant. The pulling power smokes my Gt3. My wife calls it a Porsche Hot Rod. With all that torque that's what she feels like. Handling and ride feels very similar to my Gt3, except for the previously mentioned steering wheel play. In fact, I felt the ride may have been a little stiffer, since she rides lower than the Gt3. I must say though, she is an unbelievable machine.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:48 AM
rocketrider2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally you will not reach full boost in 1st or 2nd, simply isnt enough time...lol. An alignment will probably help the loose feeling up front, also check out the tires closely for abnormal wear, pressure etc.
BTW that is one hot GT2 and GT3...just a little ole 996TT here.
Congrats and enjoy. I am not worthy
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an X-50 ( same turbos) and my "boost" experience is similar to what you describe. Also remember this varies with gear, load, ambient temps, humidity etc

beautiful car!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
esemes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rocketrider2
Normally you will not reach full boost in 1st or 2nd, simply isnt enough time...lol. .........

exactly.......

not enough exhaust energy (due to time and load) to reach full spool/boost onset in the 1-2 gears....

now a re-program~flash might help achieve a bit more however...........

ese
Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Yes,

in answer to your question, peak torque is below redline so shifting below redline and keeping
closer to peak torque (stay in the fat part of the curve) will yield bigger smiles.
Caveat: unless you are like Dr. Tom above and just like to make noise and scare people
off the curb--then let er rip to redline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MK
Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

I love redline but must admit I shift slightly before it when driving at the track!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:09 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

I love redline but must admit I shift slightly before it when driving at the track!!!

Quick Reply: Boost in a Gt2