Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really need after-market pedals for heel & toe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 12:46 AM
ypshan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Really need after-market pedals for heel & toe?

I am trying to learn how to heel & toe. Was able to do it with stock pedals but it's not easy.

Does it just take a lot of practice or I need to install after-market pedals to make it easy? What's your experience? If your after-market pedals help, what would you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:05 AM
wilber
Racer

It's all about driving skills!
Old 02-11-2003, 11:09 AM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Ruf's pedal set. Since they have a slightly larger surface area, they have made heel and toeing much easier. Actually, I use the inner and outer sections of my upper foot to manipulate the brake and throttle, and, prior to the Ruf pedals, I had trouble bridging the gap. Obviously, you need to have the skill down, but when you don't have to fight to keep your foot on both pedals, good results come much easier. The Ruf pedals are quality pieces and great looking. The fit is good, but mine didn't lay completely flush with the car's metal mounting plates (ie. their curves didn't match). Not a big deal after they're mounted, but they should have been made more precise. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:53 PM
CMC
Intermediate

IMHO, you won't find a better pedal layout for heel-and-toeing in a street car than that in 996. Aftermarket pedals are unnecessary (and won't be on other cars you may drive/race). Practice is key.

And BTW, most don't truly "heel-and-toe", but rather pivot at the ball of the foot on the brake and then roll the right foot to the outside to blip the throttle.

CMC
'02 TT X50
'02 GT3 Cup
Old 02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
CMC is almost right. I don't think he's tried a Lotus Elise which has even more perfect pedal placement.
Unlike the 964 which almost can't be heel-toed without a gas pedal attachment (Wings is the best in my opinion) the 996 is really easy. When I put a Wings pedal on it, it was too big and made it hard to hit the brake without a massive blip. I don't know how the Ruf pedals are, but unless you have really small feet, the problem is probably the driver, not the pedals. Remember, you do need to rotate your right heel counterclockwise so it's under the gas pedal. Seems a little odd at first, then it becomes second nature. It's also easier on the track when you're braking harder and using more revs. Hope that helps. AS
Old 02-11-2003, 07:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts
i agreed that 996 is one of the easiest cars to heel/toe. rather than rolling my foot to the outside, it's easiest for me to just pivit my foot on the brake and blip throttle with heel. yes, it feels strange until you get used to it and do it fast. btw, you really have to be braking pretty hard to heel/toe, otherwise it's harder and perhaps not necessary.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Zigzagn
Advanced

I bought the Ruf pedals as well. They didn’t help me any with my boxster. My TT is a tip and I doubt that I would buy them again if I were to go back to a six speed.
The pedals sure do look nice however.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Turbo03
Instructor

Thumbs up

I bought the RUF pedals and love them.
The OEM was good, but this is even better.
And you can NOT beat the way it looks.

Greg
Old 02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
y2khardtop
Instructor

I agree, it is all about skill. No problem with the 996, but the footwell is very narrow, actually making it hard to find the CLUTCH occasionally.

Dave

Quick Reply: Really need after-market pedals for heel & toe?