Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limiting the Discussion Topics Here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Limiting the Discussion Topics Here?

I have a question to pose to the fellow enthusiasts here in the 996 Turbo section for Rennlist.

Basically, should topics in this forum be limited to ONLY those topics that discuss the 996 TT directly? Yes or No?

I ask because earlier today I posted a picture of our FX45 on the track overlayed on a 993 TT that had been photographed a few seconds earlier to compare the body roll. I posted my thoughts on the FX's performance in the Cayenne section because I assumed that the FX being a competitor to the Cayenne, another SUV if you will, that readers of that forum might be interested.

What I got was a major backlash over how dare I post something that isn't Cayenne related that there was no tolerance for a post that about something non-Cayenne.

I don't get the same sense is true in this section of Rennlist, I mean look at the topic going on about Zondas, Saleens and Bugattis just to name one thread. Is it just me, or are the people who post here more or less car enthusiasts who are interested in other cars outside the 996TT as well as all things about the 996 TT / X50 / GT2, etc?

I was wondering if there was some sort of hard and fast "on topic" rule on rennlist that I was unaware of. Is that the case?

If I had to guess at the difference between the atmospheres of the two message areas I would say that in the 996 TT area people seldom question their purchase, they are car nuts and buying a 996 TT today doesn't mean they might not buy a 360 tomorrow or Bugatti next week! Conversely, Cayenne owners appear to be "unsure" about their purchase and coming to the web for some reassurance by other Cayenne owners that they made the right purchase. Anything that isn't Cayenne specific is immediately shot down as heresey or "off topic".

Has anyone else noticed these differences in attitude? Any other conjectures as to why this might be the case?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:59 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi Ken,

Great questions.... However - there is a difference between discussing "off-topic" items in a Forum as compared to posting what a Forum user might consider a Flame based on their preferences as to which Porsche model they choose to support.

While the lines of demarcation might seem convoluted to some Rennlisters - in my mind - the difference between the two post/thread contents are vastly different. And Rennlist will continue to be managed to those differences.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

John,

I think I understand the differences, but if someone makes a post about another manufacturer's car and simply relays information about it and doesn't say anything negative about the equivalent Porsche, is that considered a "Flame" ?

For example if I came into this forum and posted pictures of a 360 Modena on the track and gave a report as to how it performed as an informational post to members in this area, do you think the 996 TT readers would consider that a "Flame" ?

Should they?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
John D.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ken2KS:
<strong>John,

I think I understand the differences, but if someone makes a post about another manufacturer's car and simply relays information about it and doesn't say anything negative about the equivalent Porsche, is that considered a "Flame" ?....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Ken,

It depends on how it is "framed" by the person posting it.... For example - see the thread entitled "OT a New addition" in this Forum?? I have no problem with that appearing here.....

Some of the stuff in the "other" Rennlist Forums I did/do have a problem with, as both the context and content were open to being interpreted otherwise...

Best to you,

John D.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
john, maybe it's me, but i am having a problem understanding the distinction that you are drawing. could you be more specific? again, i do agree that some of the comments by some board members on the turbo invoice thread and the thread that i created go way too far-but isn't that somewhat instructive/revealing? it lets all of us know who we are talking to and where they are coming from. it puts a personality behind the comment. now when a certain board member makes a statement, i can understand what is motivating that comment. you obviously have the right to terminate a thread, and i am sure you have your reasons-i just wouldn't do it.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:40 PM
John D.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by docjackson1:
<strong>john, maybe it's me, but i am having a problem understanding the distinction that you are drawing. could you be more specific? ....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi docjackson1..!

Honestly - probably not... Please know that I don't "close" threads or delete threads lightly. In fact, in the past year - my guess is that fewer then a dozen threads have been either "closed" or "deleted" for various reasons. I'm more apt to "move" a thread to a different forum, and let it continue there.. While my approach isn't "perfect", it's more how I interpret the context of the thread/post within the forum it is posted within....

I could probably write a book on administering a website with 80,000 + on the e-mail lists and a Forum that takes over 2,000,000 page views a day - but I don't have the time nor the "fortitude" to write such a book..!!! LOL!!!!

In the meantime - I'll just keep managing the site as best I can - and hope you all stay "on-board" for the ride, the information, and the community that Rennlist has certainly evolved into over the past six years. And that "community" isn't to my credit - it's to the credit of the thousands who have shaped Rennlist in their view to the expectation of content...

My Best to you!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

john, thanx for the reply.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

john, thanks as well, sounds like a sound plan to me...
Old 06-18-2003, 08:54 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi docjackson1 and Ken,

No problem.... It's an interesting problem to manage this site, though... I should have added above that each of the 58 e-mail lists and dozens of "Rennlist Forums" have their own "personality", so to speak. What I try to do, is manage each e-mail list and Forum as their own "community".. So back to Ken's original question - what he might post in this Forum, or another as an OT thread - might or might not be acceptable depending on what those Forum visitors expect for "content"..???

I'm not sure that may make sense, but to me - as the one who tries to manage the entire site overall - it's pretty simple... For example - take a look at the main 944 Rennlist Forum and compare those threads to others the Cayenne Forum..? You can see the differences..

For that, it's the populous of the community within each distinct Forum which arbitrates the content - and my task is try to keep it focused to their expectations. In my view, each is distinct and individual, and is managed as such. And some folks "get it" while others simply don't or won't. ..??!!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts
I own a 996 TT and a Cayenne Turbo and welcome any technical feedback from other vehicles - either verbal or pictoral - thanks for posting!! T2
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Ken,
I think the difference lies in whether you are being an ******* or not, that is the litmus test. IMO you are being one in the posts on the 993TT and Cayenne boards and the response to your posts reflect that.

Who cares about your SUV, or how it performs.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Old 06-19-2003, 01:37 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ken2KS:
<strong>I guess I don't care that you are an ******* either... IMHO...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

But you have seen that one before, haven't you?
Old 06-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Frank Sinatra
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Radical Racer:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ken2KS:
<strong>I guess I don't care that you are an ******* either... IMHO...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

But you have seen that one before, haven't you?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">So true Mr.Racer
Old 06-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
<strong>I guess I don't care that you are an ******* either... IMHO...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">WOW! Aren't you a witty one today? You asked for opinions on how to determine when a post went from being informative to being a flame. I gave you one, if you don't like it maybe you should look in the mirror instead of throwing insults. You "sound" like a spoiled kid, who throws a fit when he doesn't get the answer he wants.

Quick Reply: Limiting the Discussion Topics Here?