Sponsored by:

unichip rough idle help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:53 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts
Post unichip rough idle help!

Having some problems with my unichip. After the engine is cold and you start the car it runs really rough for about 5 to 10 minutes. It spits and sputters and will even shut off. I also have a check engine light that has come on. The guy who installed it just replaced the datek boost control module, but that did not fix the problem.
Anyone have ideas on the problem?

Thanks!

ps: Once the car warms up the problem is gone.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 AM
skaria
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an adapter that you can plug in instead of the UNICHIP which effectively removes it from the equation. Any UNICHIP dealer will have this... that way, at least you know that it is the UNICHIP. From what I remember from talking to Tony at TRG, the UNICHIP does not change the idle at all, so it might not be the UNICHIP that is causing the problem.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:01 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The adapter to remove the Unichip it is not universal for turbos. When you add the MAF and Boost controllers the adapter no longer works (according to Tony at TRG).

When the Unichip was installed in my car, I got a CEL (the CEL was completely related to a CAT Bypass I installed at the same time and was expected). When I turned off the CEL the car was almost undrivable. No idle, coughing sputtering on drive away, zero boost, etc. After some time driving, the ECU started relearning. After about 125 miles, I was getting full boost again and everything seemed normal (at this point the CEL came on again). So the Unichip can impact normal driving (in a turbo, they are hijacking the MAF signal, keeping a baseline on the fuel injectors, etc). I took it back to Tony and they turned of the CEL and the car was running OK again (of course they did charge me for more dyno time )
Old 06-13-2003, 12:12 PM
skaria
Advanced

Really? Hmm... when I blew the fuse for my DME some time back, Bobby at Manhattan Motor Cars (UNICHIP dealer) said the easiest way to determine if it was the UNICHIP was to put the adapter... however, I will take Tony's word that it does not work.

Then my next and last suggestion would be to call Tony at TRG. That guy probably forgot more than most people know about the UNICHIP application for the 996TT.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:16 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Tony is the man. He is a great guy and very willing to help people with any issues related to the Unichip. Problem is, they need 3 or 4 Tony's to answer questions and do the actual work. It is easier to schedule time for a brain surgeon than Tony.

Quick Reply: unichip rough idle help!