Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 996TT Owner.. Stats for Stage 2 ECU Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006 | 01:55 PM
jackkoziol
5th Gear

Default New 996TT Owner.. Stats for Stage 2 ECU Upgrade?

Hello, I just got a 996TT over the weekend and have been looking at the Stage 2 from IA. I was wondering if anyone had any documentation about the difference in 0-60 and 1/4 mile with the Stage 2 vs. Stock. Is there that much of a difference? I see about a 100 hp gain, but I saw a post where someone said it only shaves .1 second off your 1/4 mile. Is this true? Doesnt seem worth potentially messing up your car over to me then.

Also, what sort of damage are you doing to your car if you leave the stage 2 on for about 30k miles? The 996TT I bought I plan on keeping as a daily driver for 4 years or so. I saw a post that someone said you should do "increased maintence", but what does that mean? I plan on maintaining the car anyway.

Finally, out of curiousity anyone trade a black/grey 996TT into MotorWerks in Barrington, IL with 16k miles? It has PCA stickers on it, maybe you are on this board? If you are, kudos for keeping the car in perfect shape!

Jack
Old 05-17-2006 | 02:04 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Jack, if you JUST got the car why dont you enjoy it first before you start changing things. I would explore the cars current capabilites first, then if you are going to mod do it one step at a time so you can see the differences for yourself. Also if you have an extended warranty this will be voided once the modding starts.
That being said there is a huge difference in the car after you go to a stage 2 and most say this is the way the car should have started out.
If I recall correctly you car has 420hp doesnt it?? That is enough for most people driving around on the street.

congrats on the car and good luck!
Old 05-17-2006 | 02:30 PM
jackkoziol
5th Gear

I do plan on enjoying my car till the warranty runs out, which is december. I just like to research things well in advance.

Id still be interested in the data or a response to my questions if anyone knows.

Jack
Old 05-17-2006 | 02:55 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

I'll be happy to comment. First I agree with Tom. Second, we don't know what year your car is (assume it is not X50 or S). Third, stage 2 is not universal so I assume you mean...intake, exhaust & chip (DV's for reliability). Fourth, there is more than just power you will benefit from..like a much better sounding exhaust. Ok for performance...you will definately know it. You are getting .7bar with maybe some .8 spikes...try 1.1 with some 1.2 spikes...wow! Hp is definately improved (exact number is subject to question...probably 50-80). 1/4 mile times also have driver and other factors so also hard to compare. For maintenance...I have not seen any data where stage 2 negatively affects reliability. Dont think it is "messing up the car"! If however warranty and reliability are huge concerns perhaps mods are just not for you. Like Tom said drive it for a while, maybe try someone's modded TT. Decide what your goals are and how you want to use it(Track, DE...) then choose wisely (tuners/stages/etc.). There are some very knowledgable folks on here (and 6speed) to help...Kevin (Ultimate), Todd (EVOMS), Todd (Protomotive), Mark (Markski), Stephen (IA), Neil (Orton), etc....

Last edited by wross996tt; 05-18-2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-17-2006 | 03:03 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Sounds like gorgeous car congrats.
Stage 2 does not == 100 horsepower.
Lets call it 80 horsepower (ECU upgrade, good exhuast)
this is a wonderful upgrade and works extremely well for the
"occasional street kill" as well as on the track.
All the people Wross mentioned can help you.
We are all trying to get tuners to more definitively define performance IMPROVEMENTS
rather than making decisions based upon some dyno graph on some website on some
car in some circumstances. We do know that all the major players can show
you some "substantial power increases" with just the above mentioned mods.
Everyone does it a little differently, early boost keep boost low, later boost but higher for
longer (extended rev limit), etc.
Talk to the tuners themselves and see who you are comfortable with.
Good luck, it is alot of fun.

Marty K.
Old 05-17-2006 | 03:28 PM
jackkoziol
5th Gear

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I'll be happy to comment. First I agree with Tom. Second, we don't know what year your car is (assume it is not X50 or S). Third, stage 2 is not universal so I assume you mean...intake, exhaust & chip (DV's for reliability). Fourth, there is more than just power you will benefit from..like a much better sounding exhaust. Ok for performance...you will definately know it. You are getting .7bar with maybe some .8 spikes...try 1.1 with some 1.2 spikes...wow! Hp is definately improved (exact number is subject to question...probably 50-80).
Thanks, that is kind of what I was looking for. I have a 2003 (you're right not S, not X-50). I thought all Stage 2 was ECU upgrade + exaust. More to research for me I guess!

Originally Posted by wross996tt
1/4 mile times also have driver and other factors so also hard to compare.
Thats true, the 1/4 would be influenced by driver skill, but i was thinking there would be a general consensus of stage 2 performance improvements. If someone has ran the stock TT for a year or so doing a dozen 1/4 miles, then doing 1/4 mile after the uprade a dozen times, etc.
Old 05-17-2006 | 06:04 PM
Woodster
Drifting

The latest trend, which I think is a good one is to invest yourself
(I do not know why tuners do not do this), in a good GPS based performance
device. I purchased on group buy on 6speedonline an AX-22, which is purportedly
the best out there. this will measure 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-100, 60-130 whatever you
want and graph it etc. They do cost about $1000 but how much have some of us
spent on mods ??
Old 05-17-2006 | 06:10 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Stock 996 TT's tend to run the 1/4 mile in the low to mid 12's

to hit mid 11's takes a fair amount of mods.

to hit the 10's it is best to start with a GT2 (weight and 2wd for better launches)
and will require alot of air fuel moving through your motor!!!
GT700 and more if GIAC product and Protomotive does have a bolt on
package that Scott B. (Divexxtreme) ran mid 10's with on his first time out

Recap: low to mid 11's == $10-20 k
10's $25k +
9's ask Alex

Marty K
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:48 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Wross, Marty, good advise as always!!!
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:22 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Jack, if you JUST got the car why dont you enjoy it first before you start changing things. I would explore the cars current capabilites first, then if you are going to mod do it one step at a time so you can see the differences for yourself. Also if you have an extended warranty this will be voided once the modding starts.
That being said there is a huge difference in the car after you go to a stage 2 and most say this is the way the car should have started out.
If I recall correctly you car has 420hp doesnt it?? That is enough for most people driving around on the street.

congrats on the car and good luck!
Modding a car will NOT void the warranty completely. Only the parts you have modified. For instance if you add aftermarket chip and your power windows quit working they can't deny your warranty to fix your windows. Now if you blow up the motor that is another story!

Old 05-18-2006 | 11:55 PM
KPG
Pro

Jack, I have an 01 TT and did the stage 1 last year( stage 2 includes an aftermarket exhaust) and took it to the local track here in MI last Fall and it ran 12.0017@117 witha 1.9 60 ft. The upgrade works.I have since added the exhaust but have not taken the car to the track, but it does seem to spool quicker down low. Good luck, Kevin
Old 05-19-2006 | 11:56 AM
jackkoziol
5th Gear

Originally Posted by KPG
Jack, I have an 01 TT and did the stage 1 last year( stage 2 includes an aftermarket exhaust) and took it to the local track here in MI last Fall and it ran 12.0017@117 witha 1.9 60 ft. The upgrade works.I have since added the exhaust but have not taken the car to the track, but it does seem to spool quicker down low. Good luck, Kevin
Awesome! Thanks for the response. Do you know what your car did the quarter before the mods? Also, which company did you choose? Which exaust did you pick?

Jack
Old 05-19-2006 | 01:41 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Speak for yourself...

Old 05-20-2006 | 03:19 PM
KPG
Pro

Jack, I used Evolution thru a local installer here in MI. I chose the MIlltek exhaust thru Stephen at Imagine Auto, because he offered a money back guarantee if it had any drone while driving. It has no drone and is just a bit louder than stock poking around town ,but above 3500+ RPM it really comes alive with a clean , crisp roar. 100% satisfied with the programming and the exhaust. I installed Bosch FR6 plugs also and it runs smoother under hard driving, you will eventually have to upgrade plugs... just a matter of when. Sorry, but no times bone stock. Good luck, Kevin
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:29 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

twk63.............I was "speaking for myself!"

Quick Reply: New 996TT Owner.. Stats for Stage 2 ECU Upgrade?