Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Rear Spoiler Error"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 03:10 AM
glpdx
Advanced

Default "Rear Spoiler Error"

I suppose it's about time I ask for feedback on an issue I've been having since the first week I bought my TT, which the dealer can't seem to fix. Simply put, every so often, when I accelerate over 75mph, a "Rear Spoiler Error" message cries out. When this happens, the spoiler is stuck in the up position and will not move, either automatically or manually, until I turn the vehicle off. Once I restart the vehicle, it goes away. I've tried to find rhyme or reason to the situations that cause it, but nothing is consistant. I've brought it into the shop 3-4 times for this and they said they've replaced just about every part associated with the spoiler. The last two times were different. The spoiler stopped functioning in the upper position but there was no error message. I'm was suspicious the dealer just disabled the systems ability to alert the error, but I don't want to believe they would be capable of that.

The kicker is the message completely goes away when you turn the car off, and only occurs about once every 2 weeks. The service manager saw the message once, a long time ago, but didn't schedule an appoinment right away. The technician has never had the opportunity to see the error. The last two times I brought it in, they've just taken my word for it. I hoped it would occur at an opportune time when I could hop over to the dealer, but it manages to occur late at night or when I'm out of the area.

Anyway, it's in the shop right now. It's becoming an uncomfortable situation. It obviously needs to be fixed but they are having trouble fixing what they can't see. Could this be a problem in the ECU? It definately seems electrical or computer related. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:37 AM
Moogle
Race Car

as you said, all associated parts have been replaced at some point?...

hmmph

the only thing left that i can think of is the fuse.
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:02 AM
glpdx
Advanced

Fuse. No, because the problem immeidately disappears away when I turn the car back on . The fuse would have to be a auto-resetting circut breaker. I keep coming back to the ECU, but someones life has to be endanger before Porsche sends one of those back for a check up. Right?

To make things worse, my poor baby has been sitting in their "lock up" all week. It's been uncovered and exposed to constant sun and all day outdoor elements. Poor car. Depending on the status on monday, I may go put a cover on the car whether they make fun of me or not.

Last edited by glpdx; 04-24-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:28 AM
robertp
Racer

I think it is the ECU.
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:08 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Default Update

They are gong to get approval from Porsche to replace the instrument cluster assembly. It's possibly a speed signal issue. If the rear spoiler looses the speed signal, it will fully extend as a safety precaution. This "saftey precaution" will not reset itself until the ignition is recycled. This all sounds very logical to me. I believe they were doing this as a last resort because I have the full-leather wrapped instrument cluster assembly and they say it's a very expensive item to replace.
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:24 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

I had this happen on my 2001 996TT 1 month after buying it in Dec 05 with a CPO. They repaced the hydraulic unit on the spoiler and its all better. Don't cover it...drive it and enjoy even with this minor glich. Have fun and good luck.
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:59 PM
glpdx
Advanced

They replaced everything associated with the hydralic unit on attempt # 3 of 4. On attempt #4 of 4, they replaced a circuit of some sort.
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:57 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Mine gets on the same jag once a month......well she is a chick after all

I'll get the same 'fake' error signal two or three times, then quits.....doesn't seem to be a real issue so I don't bother with it.
Old 04-25-2006 | 02:31 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Default I had a similar problem, gauge cluster replaced

GLPDX,

I have an '01 996tt, and in Jan '06 I had a very similar problem. The dealer took about half a day to diagnose the problem, and told me they traced and tested circuits from the spoiler to the gauge cluster and found a fault in the gauge cluster. He told me the gauge cluster is a "non-repairable" part , ordered a new cluster, and took about a week to get and replace (the invoice for the cluster was about $2,200) -- problem has been resolved since that repair (thankfully covered under the CPO warranty). Good luck with your repair. You have a beautiful 996tt cab.

Quick Reply: "Rear Spoiler Error"