Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelen PS2 or Yoka Advan Neova AD07 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Kiko, what did you do about the soft-wall PS2s?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Ontic
...But the Advans are "closer to a track/race tire".....which is consistent with comments herein, that it's a bridge between an R tire and street. I was also contemplating the PS Cup's and The Yoko A048 (R tire) so this blend sounds good to me...
I've tried neither, but the comment above is leading me to the NEOVA's as my next tire.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to use 315's on the rear make sure you at least use an 11.5 inch wheel.

I have never heard of running the PS2's at the higher temps and when I have they have not performed well. they REALLY heat up at the track to 50psi quickly if you are not careful.

JP, are you street driving with the cup tires?? If so are they the same for the track?? If so how long are they lasting and are you concerned about repeated heat cycles? I heard this tire is not as affected? What is your experience.

I live 100miles one way from sebring. would you drive to and from the DE with the cup tires and if so how many events would you think you could get out of them?? the whole extra wheels etc is a PIA!!
TIA tom
Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

So - do the ADVANS & PS2's come in both the 996TT & GT2 sizings???
Old 05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Tom, those MPSC's are pretty darn tough....driving 100 miles to/from event is nothing. Hell, I am thinking about driving them 1000 miles to an event! Street driving is very fun on them and does not seem to lessen the lifespan. They have a reputation of being able to take serious abuse at the track.....many, many heat cycles. And of course, they stick better than even the stickiest of street tires. Would be careful out on the hwy. in rain however. They spec them as OE on the M3 CSL in Europe which is interesting.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark
Kiko, what did you do about the soft-wall PS2s?
Increased te rear tire pressure by 2lbs whick made things better.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Just a comment, I drove on the MPSC's on street and track for a year with no problems. They are a very sticky tire compared to straight street rubber. In SoCal the rain is all that much of an issue but I "tip toed" when it did rain and didn't experience a problem. I drove them to Death Valley and back in a PCA weekend tour and it all worked fine.

I am back on the regular Mich PS2 now and they work okay but won't give the ultimate stick that a Sport Cup will.

Can't comment on the others as I haven't tried them.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Michael Ontic
Intermediate

Will do.....but give me a few weeks to get them broken in and tested. MK
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

becareful with MPSC on the street esp if they aren't upto temp!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Michael Ontic
Intermediate

Here's a little update on my Neova experience to date (2 mont's and about 1200 miles); I've driven OE michilin and P-Zero's but not the PS2's, so I'm limited in direct comparision, but have driven 911's for 25 years on every kind of rubber then current) .

1) The stick great and turn-in is fantastic. I'd rate them 9 of 10. maybey even a 10. But they do need to warm up to get there.
2) As bad a cold ride as any street rubbere I've had in 15 years. Over 1 or 2 nights in the garage and you get 4 flat spots that thup until they warm-up in about 2 miles here in sunny So. Cal.
3) I'd rate the ride a 5 of 10. These are thick, rigid sidewall tire compared to the thin/soft sidwall design of the PS2's (whicher are far thinner/softer than most tires in the class.
4) all indications are that wear will be as good or better than most others.
5) cost: they are about $150 or $200 less than the PS2's ( which are a bit larger though) at tire rack.
Overall: For my use, I think I'll try the PS2's next time because I'm not the johnney racer as much of the time as I used to be. If I were tracking, these may very well be the better choice. MK
Old 07-22-2006, 04:16 PM
MYSTRO
Advanced

Default PILOT SPORTS

The pilot sports are the BEST OF THE BUNCH, Just bought A set for my Cab.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JP, that is good to hear and what I have been doing. But if you are going that far on them let me know. Because that kind of distance if possible would make me put the Cups on one set of wheels and then go to Hoosiers for the race set?
? your or others experience with how sticky the Cup tires are compared to Hoosiers?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
calcareer
Advanced

I had PS2's on my stock turbo twist hollow spoke wheels. They were a major upgrade from the Pirelli tires that came on the car.

I recently replaced the stock wheels with a set of Kinesis wheels and put on new Neovas AD07's in stock turbo sizes.

I feel that the Neovas are far superior to any other tire Yokohama makes and they actually have more grip than the PS2's with sharper turn in response.

I think you will be very pleased with either tire, but will be pleasantly surprised by the Advan Neovas.

I've attached a picture of the wheels and Neovas on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Kiko
Racer

what about the fact that these tires have a lower speed rating than the car's top speed? As anyone else noticed this? For instance PS2's are (98Y) where the Y is between ( ) which means OVER 300km/h where the Y by itself means UP TO 300km/h and Neovas are W rated which is good for "just" 270km/h...here's the chart from tire rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

This is what puts me off from this tire otherwise I think this would the ticket for me as the sticky rubber/stiff sidewalls is the combo I've been looking for but its seems there isn't such tire in the Turbo sizes... They're just sticky (PS2) or stiff sided (SO-2A's, PS, P-0's,etc).

Last edited by Kiko; 07-24-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Drive PS Cups to the track?....3 things.
1. Take em up to 34/40 (F/R) or you'll burn em up on the highway
2. On a good rain, pull over or slow down
3. Take em off when you get home......great tire, just not a daily IMHO

Quick Reply: Michelen PS2 or Yoka Advan Neova AD07 ?