Sponsored by:

Need advice on used 2001 - 2004 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
knef911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking pre-purchase inspection

i'm a newbie as well, but got a good deal on a pp 01 tt purchase recently . would definitely get a pre-purchase dealer inspection. $480 is definitely too high! i paid $270 for a full inspection at pacific porsche in torrance. LA downtown porsche as well as Rusnick porsche in pasadena also charge mid $200's. If you want the leakdown and compression tests, it will cost you extra.

good luck!
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The leakdown and compression tests are very important. How may miles are on the 01?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shane.emc
I also asked what the average life span of 996 turbo clutch is, he said about 30,000 miles. They said the average clutch replacement is about $2000.00.
I don't know about average, but I replaced mine at 217'000 km. And these kilometers included quite a few track days and even some racing in the Swiss Porsche Cup (standing starts, yep).

USD 2k seems realistic.

I wouldn't take a tip, but that's a quite a personal choice.

Greetings
--Pierre
Old 04-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=mrpc12]No worries, Shane. Nobody is going to bite your head off around here for asking questions.

Back to your original questions....As most people have already said there is no reason not to buy an 01 over other model years. However, I don't think anyone mentioned that they stiffened the body from 02 over 01. I don't have the exact figures.

I'm not the Rennlist expert on this but I would check my facts. I do not think this is correct. Very few changes from 01-02. Bose, glovebox, no hi-gloss on interior buttons maybe a few minor things but not a stiffer chasis like stated above.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
mike_la_jolla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Misc advice on getting used TT ...

I have had both an '02 and '03. The '03 is an X50. Even those of us that follow the brand closely have trouble remembering the differences between the models of TT’s. The glove box change is about as serious as it got. PCMII was added in ’03, but that isn’t anything to cluck about – PCMII sucks almost as bad as PCM. All model years are easy to rechip to get more HP, although I seriously question the benefits of the extra HP.

Make sure to go to ButtonWillow or Willow Springs to track it, but be aware that Porsche disowns those of us that track our Porsches, calling any tracking ‘abusive driving’.

Many of us that have manuals have had to get full transmission replacements, which run $10-15k. The drive trains on these things appear to be a serious weakness, possibly degrading the reliability of the TT to that of a Ferarri. My ’03 has not been a reliable car. You wouldn’t have this problem if you got the TIP. I think that a manual would have a higher resale value. The $2k you mention for clutch repair is low. I think mine ran $3k on the ‘02.

We have had raging arguments over the ‘Porsche Certified’ thing. I argue is has utterly no value and may be worse than nothing. If you buy from a private party, make sure you get the ECU codes read out. Any REV violation is grounds for Porsche to disown the car completely. You are in Southern Cal, and the regional representative is, ummm, ‘unfriendly’, to enthusiasts. So if you have any REV violations you are on your own. Make sure to get’em cleared.

Note that in the used market most upgrades and bolt-ons have no value, so you should be able to get a pretty nice machine for your budget.

If the car you are looking at has sport seats, make sure you sit in them – some of us don’t fit in ‘em.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Virtigo
My buddy is selling his 2002 grey TT with 14,000 miles and a brand new factory clutch. Actually was installed at Newport Peach Porsche. $2,000 uggghhh try $3,200. Anyway let me know if you are interested. He lives in Cardiff. I have pictures if you would like me to shoot them to you. It's in great condition.
Will send you a PM with my email address.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Great information everyone. That's what I was looking for. When I get back from my business trip later this week I will begin my search for a car. I missed out on the white 02 turbo in florida but if I wasn't in Boston I would have done a buy it now on that car. I told the owner to let me know if the high bidder backs out.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

REMOVED PICTURES TO MAKE ROOM FOR OTHER PICTURES.

Well I think I may have found my car.

Can somebody tell me what the following options are: X45, X65, X70, X91, X99

Last edited by shane.emc; 05-21-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IX45 INSTRUMENT DIALS IN INTERIOR COLOUR
IX65 TIPTRONIC GEAR SELECTOR IN LIGHT BURR WALNUT WITH ALUMINIUM INLAY
IX70 DOOR ENTRY GUARDS IN STAINLESS STEEL WITH LOGO
IX91 HAND BRAKE LEVER IN LIGHT BURR WALNUT WITH ALUMINIUM INLAY, LEATHER
IX99 NATURAL LEATHER
Old 05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, what is that 'dust' all over the engine? It looks like body shop (sanding) dust? Any history of paintwork?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Rear bumperettes definitely have to go to Eric to be painted to match the body color.....I still don't understand why PAG doesn't paint them from the factory (like the normal Carrera's)

Nicely thought out interior, someone obviously spent some time ordering this one.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Are those wheels chrome or polished?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, what is that 'dust' all over the engine? It looks like body shop (sanding) dust? Any history of paintwork?
Not sure about that. Good catch. I had the guy send me a bunch of pictures. He is an hour away so I wanted to get as many pictures as possible. I asked if there was any chips or dings and he said no. But the dust on the engine does look suspecious. I gave him a call and he said it was just dust. I will do a major inspection when I get there.

I am going to check it out now. Should be back in a few hours with more details.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Best of luck, hope it turns out well.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Just got back. The left tail light had cracks in it at the bottom and the top. Not very noticable but I looked really close after ltc asked about the body work. They said no body work was done but I don't see how the tail light could be cracked the way it was unless it hit something. There were also some pretty big chunks out of the rims so somebody hit the curb a few times. The inside is Awesome but after seeing the outside with all the large chips, scratches, and obvious body work I am going to pass on this one. The inside of this car was soooo damn sweeeeet.

Guess I have to keep looking.

Quick Reply: Need advice on used 2001 - 2004 Turbo