Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Motorsport 996TT X50 GT2 CUP airintake

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone on this board actually have a fabspeed air intake set up on their car?? Please let us know what you think.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
no need to carry a 6-pack of mafs in the trunk?
Keep your MAF shut Oak I actually did this myself three and a half years ago (remember seeing it at the GAF that year?). I took a dremmel to the front side of the air box and dremmelled it out and put a K&N filter in. Anyways a couple of things did actually happen.. I got higher intake temps (getting hot ait in) and then I lost a couple of tenths in the 1/4mile. Obviously sitting around waiting in line and sucking hot air in didn't help HP but you get the idea. I'll dig out pics of it. I didn't blow a MAF this way but I'm not convinced I was getting anymore air in. I didn't increase the surface air where the most suction occurs (right in front of the MAF housing). I then tried another DIY job where I used a large (and I do mean large) cone filter (unshielded) and made a MAF housing. I did get more power this way but I blew two MAF's and stopped the madness. I've been good with the EVO one although not everyone has.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Does anyone on this board actually have a fabspeed air intake set up on their car?? Please let us know what you think.
Tom if you're looking for more power on your car I'd do something else less risky... Some kind of chip, an exhaust- I think you have the Fabspeed right? If so get the straight pipes for even better flow and more HP/Less weight...

I mean you are a track guy after all and your car was already prone to MAF issues if I remember right? At the track you don't want to increase your intake temps that's for sure. There are other HP mods you could do that'd serve ya' better than _any_ intake I think. The problem with risking a blown MAF at the track is that ABS in particular goes out and you're screwed...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

scrub your mafs! filthy little buggers.

I agree, seems like the way this particular box is designed driving at speed the mod maybe OK but stop and go heat build up will most likely increase intake temps and eventually rob power.

I wonder why noone has designed a simple plastic fan shroud mounted to the under side of the engine lid and an simple air box to replace the rear half of the factory air box that mates up the redisigned shroud. I think who ever designs something like this will have a winner. Seems like it would be simple and effective design. All that would be needed is to change out half the stock air box and newly designed shroud. Air filter would be optional. And no MAF issues!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Has anyone ever thought of designing a air intake that breathes from the front of the car well away from the engine and wrap the tube and then the rear air box where the filter is in a aerospace insulation material?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex, thanks for the input and I agree totally! but ya got to admit look at the number of hits on this thread, someone does an idea like Oak, and they are rich!!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Motorsport 996TT X50 GT2 CUP airintake