GT3 Seats vs. Recaro Pole Postion

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default GT3 Seats vs. Recaro Pole Postion

I am considering adding a driving seat to my 996. I am considering either the Porsche GT3 seat or the slightly less expensive Recaro Pole Position. I will be "trying on" the Pole Position tomorrow at a supplier. Can anyone tell me if the GT3 seat is as wide as the Pole Position, or is as narrow as the SPG? I'd hate to order the GT3 sight unseen only to find that fat *** and waist are a tight fit.

Thanks,
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2006, 04:18 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am big...225lbs about 5-11...wide back from weight lifting, about 36 inch waist. I have the SPG XL's in my BWM, and I have the GT3 leather seats in my 996TT. The SPG's XL are downright comfortable...I have driven 1000 miles in a day in them...no problem. I actually use them as daily driver's...Anybody large or small can fit in them. The GT3 Leather seats are smaller, tighter....The leather allows you to slip in, and you can get pretty comfortable. The GT3's feel more like a tight racing seat...The SPG XL feels like a comfortable sofa. I like both...but if I had to choose just one, based on comfort, it would be the SPG's
Old 03-30-2006, 04:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

BUt the SPG still keeps you in place right? No movement because it is still a high wall seat?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM
glpdx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been contemplating drving seats as well, mostly because I have a unusually long torso for being 6'1". I always feel like I need to slunch down in my seat and recline quite a bit as well. Can any of you tell me if the seat (butt area) of the driving seats sits lower in the car compared to the stock seats? I'm hoping the drivng seats would be a way to compensate for my long torso. Thanks. gl
Old 03-30-2006, 07:35 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

They are usually quite a bit lower if they are installed at the lowest bolt hole. You need to be there when installed so you can choose the proper rack and position.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

SPG keeps you planted...I use it on the track, with Sparco 6 point harnesses...excellent seat. I don't think you can wrong with either of these seats...but the SPG XL, just gives a better fit if you are a bigger guy. SPG XL in Leather would be quite a seat...mine is cloth...the cloth is very sticky...My wife does not like it because it will grab certain fabrics...like her skirt the other day...she actually would not drive with me in the car, because it felt weird...oh well....
Old 03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

The fabric DOES grab and bind.

I have some corbras, and they are great, but if these are wider I would like to go "try them on" somewhere in SoCal.

I have the Suzuka GT, which is wider then normal - and its a bit tight... 240 and 6'3" , but I have just always been wide.

I'll have to compare.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all who replied.

I'm 5' 8" and 200 lbs., 40 inch waist. At the rate I'm going, my casket will need to be round rather than rectangular. I tried out the SPG XL and the Speed 5-point at Northstar Motorsports. The SPG XL fit me perfectly and seemed as comfortable as my OEM sports seats. The Speed 5-point is narrower in the seat area. I found that I was sitting ON it rather than IN it. I'll be ordering the SPG XL for the driver's side, and let my passenger or instructor use the Speed 5-point. The Speed 5-point has moveable seat back that will still allow me access to the rear seat and cargo areas.

Cheers,
Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Fred. I need to lose about 35 pounds, and will, but my waist and XXX will not be much less then 38, ever. SOme of us are just bigger.

I will go try an SPG XL.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:11 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

The spg seems to be an inch narrower in the seat than the pole position seat, so why isnt the pole p. more comfortable for larger "frames"??
Old 04-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catnmouse
The spg seems to be an inch narrower in the seat than the pole position seat, so why isnt the pole p. more comfortable for larger "frames"??
I wasn't able to try the Pole Positions. But I was told that the angle between the seat and seat back were different. The shape, location and thickness of padding is also different between the two seats. All I CAN say is that for me, the SPG XL was very comfortable.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats vs. Recaro Pole Postion