Sponsored by:

Kumho ECSTA SPT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Kumho ECSTA SPT

About $500 for a set of 4 in stock 996tt sizes, rated highly by Tire Rack!
Anyone try them? (beats about $800 for rear PS2's)
Old 04-29-2007, 04:34 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this in the archives, and wondered if anyone had any comments. Some other threads had people say "use PS2s" but one seemed to actually contribute anything useful when a question like this was asked, they just shouted their favorite tire.

I agree that the 996TT is a premium car that deserves excellent tires. But if these can provide even 80% of the performance of the PS2, I'd gladly sign up for these. I do not push my car hard enough on the street and do not track it yet, so I am not concerned about supreme traction. That said, one negative Tirerack review, surrounded by many positives, commented that it was very soft and flexible, and provided jokingly low levels of grip. I don't need race track performance, but I also didn't buy a Buick...

They're so cheap I'm tempted just to try it and see what happens. I need new rears in ~1000 miles from now, but my rears have maybe 4000 miles left (I'm on stock PZeros)... Starting to think about what to do already. Sounds like I need four new ones, unless I stick with PZeros, which, by the way, sound like machine guns, even with 4k left on the rears.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
C DeVito
Racer

I am facing the a similar situation with OEM PZeros. Mine were new 2K miles ago, but the diameters on the rear tires are off enough that they push the car. I can swap the rear tires left to right and drift the car to one side or the other (Quality control???) and they are so loud that I want to replace all 4. Machine guns is a good description.

If you decide to try a set let us know what you think, especially as you gain mileage on them.

I tried a set of Fuzion's on my 540i two years ago based on Tirerack's recommendation using the same rational. The BMW is my DD, so I don't need Max performance and they were cheap. They were great for the first 1500 miles. I kept them for only 3000 miles after thinking I had bad wheel bearings and finding it was the tires! My snow tires were quieter. The BMW like the TT is very responsive to tires changes so the right tire for the car is important. When so many people say good things about the PS2's I tend to lean towards them.

Sometimes you get more than you pay for but not often. Keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the same situation....and I think the cheaper tires are likely to be 98% of the higher end ones until one gets to 150mph+....which I am not likely to be seeing in this country that often....off the track.
:-)

(I like my license.)

JB
Old 04-29-2007, 12:35 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

i have a set on right now. I like them
but I don't have a twin turbo like you guys
Old 04-29-2007, 02:07 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I had a set. They were really good on the dry, pretty good on the wet and seemed to be wearing pretty well. The only reason I don't still have them is I flat-spotted the heck out of them avoiding an accident and they were trash after that. I couldn't wait for them to be shipped in again so I slapped on a set of Bridgestone made Fuzion/Fusion(sp?) ZRs. I'd buy the Kuhmo again. For the 12 mos I had them they were good.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just putt around town I am sure most of the DOT approved tires would be ok for you guys.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
skremese
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a thread on the other forum (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7892) regarding the Kumho's that I started last year. I had just postd this update yesterday:

I have put about 6000 miles on them and they are exactly what I suspected - not as sticky as the Michelin's or Pirelli's (never tried the Contis) but still very good, quiet (easily carry on a convo at highway speeds, no drumming noise), look great, and seem to be wearing very well. I have not driven the car extensively in rain but when I do I'm happy with the way they handle.

I did also bring the car with the Kumho's to the track three times for DE days (once at Thunderhill, once at Infineon and one autocross). These tires, for me, are excellent. They are predictable in their breaking point both through feel as well as audible feedback. For someone learning at a DE event this is great because they really squeal near the breaking point.

And then there is the price - they've gone up about $10 a tire since I bought them but are still almost 50% the price of the Mics. In my opinion, the 10-20% better grip in the Mics doesn't warrant the extra expense and reduced longevity. Besides, isn't a little bit of sliding at the track fun? And who drives that fast on the street (or should be)? smile.gif But maybe I'm showing my age (did finally have a kid in the last year).

-Steve
Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Steve & others,

Thanks so much for the input. If they really are even 80% of the performance, I'll be happy. I'll report back when I finally get around to changing them.

Rennlist is wonderful!

Justin
Old 04-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm on my 2nd set. I put alot of miles on Arabelle so I wanted to try the el-cheapo. I like these better than the Pzeros I removed. They are way quiter, and have decent life (14k on the rears I replaced 3 mo ago). Now they are a very soft compound so I wouldn't recommend them for track use.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
If you just putt around town I am sure most of the DOT approved tires would be ok for you guys.

I am a precision, high performace putt-jocky. And don't you forget it.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Cool Avtar jcb. At first I thought I was having a flashback....I didn't say that!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Actually, just a picture from the Hershey Porsche show for the PCA's anniversay a few years ago with some artistic computer macros....nothing complex. The Foyt car is in the background and one of my favorite cars of all time is up front....

JB
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I owned my first 911 back in 2002, I went through several sets of Bridgestone Poles for my car. Having tracked that car on several occassions, I can speak from experience the quality of the tire all around. My only reservation is that they are about as lousy as Goodyear F1's for wear. I swear, even w/out hitting the track, they would barely last 6-8kmiles. Especially, the rears.
When I traded up for my 2005 TTs, I tracked my car two months after purchase and took off my OEM mich. and purchased a set of Kumho's just for the track. All I can say is they are AWESOME.
On the street, they do extremely well in wet and are more than anyone needs for everyday driving.
They handle superbly and wear extremely well. Extremely well.
Most people who are on this thread are NOT SCCA drivers or racing for a living. On the street, these tires will not dissappoint. They are the best bang for the buck, PERIOD.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
dave1200
Pro

ive got em.. seem pretty good.. great in weather.. Also had them on the ferrari.. no probs. Dont know about track use yet..will find out next month.
FWIW I also have them on my 740.
I highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Kumho ECSTA SPT