Sponsored by:

Promotive or GIAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Who writes the programming for Protomotive?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
My car previously had Stage 2 GIAC software with stock, 93 and 100 octane programs installed on it through IA. The software seemed to work very well overall and Stephen was always great to deal with. Prior to my new modifications being installed, I did have what seemed to a be consistent hesitation problem from 1st to 2nd gear at WOT....but it's hard to know the exact cause for this. To be fair...it could have been caused by a number of things.

I now have Protomotive mods and tuning..and the car is incredible. The hesitation is no longer there (for whatever reason), and the car is unbelievably strong. I also think Todd is unsurpassed in regard to customer service. And I've dealt with many tuners over the years. For *my purposes*...what I have now is exactly what I was looking for.

But I don't want to take anything away from Stephen or his products. My past experience with him and GIAC's software (at the Stage 2 level) was great. And if I hadn't found Protomotive...he most certainly would have gotten my business again.

Scott
2001 Protomotive TT
Thanks for the kind words Scott!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM
red993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBeatles
Ok lets get this settled once and for all. I'm trying to get a understanding as to the who what and why on the ECU flashing and why 1 is better(ok maybe not better) but preferable to the other. I know alot of you guys have tried both, or have at least done your own investigation so...let the war of the words(and programming) begin....
JB

So what ECU are you going with.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
markski
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
Who writes the programming for Protomotive?
The owner of protomotive writes the programs- Todd Knighton.
Garrett Lym(GIAC) writes for Evoms...
Both have their advantages... depending on what ur looking for... do alot of research b4 u spend ur money.... ask urself waht ur goals are... then call each tuner and ask what when and where...
I have had a long tuning road myself... started with cargraphics, fvd, giac, and now finally Protomotive...
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 AM
sc
Racer

Markski,

I'm very interested how your next project turns out. I have read some of your posts here and on the other forum and your experience is very valuable to us that are still on the fence of which package to go with. I am doing my own research now quickly trying to learn. Your unbiased opinion and real world insight is very much appreciated!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markski
The owner of protomotive writes the programs- Todd Knighton.
Thanks.

I'm very happy with my GIAC Stage 2 programming.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:27 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, what made you go from program to program??
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM
markski
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Mark, what made you go from program to program??
I dont want to slam any particular tuner.... simply there were 2 reasons..
one, my needs changed...
second, I went to the 1/4 track many times and these stages so called did not perform as stated.. just because a stageXXX is rated XXXhp does not mean it will do 10s at the track... and I think the proof is on the other porsche board...
I had 3 different aftermarket turbos and they all ran very close to each other... and yet they were supposed to be better then the one b4...
I suggest everyone to do ur homework... ask many questions... and expect results.. If I were about to spend $35K on a GTXXX and it ran only low 11s.. I would want answers... I took a hit and moved on to Protomotive who have proven to build the fastest cars... here is the link for an article from a shootout...
in case some of u missed it...
http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0404ec_titans/

ps. most tuners do work hard for their money... nothing to take away from the rest.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:14 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, quite honestly, on both boards, your experience with multiple tuners is invaluable to the rest of us. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and info. Maybe some of us can save some money and trouble if we pay attention!

thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 PM
markski
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Mark, quite honestly, on both boards, your experience with multiple tuners is invaluable to the rest of us. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and info. Maybe some of us can save some money and trouble if we pay attention!

thanks
Unfortunately its not that easy... you see... most of the guys are content with a $2500 program... and those who go to a higher stage perceive that the car is faster... it has to cause I just spent $10K on a program and some Hybrid turbos... I have many time slips under different conditions and different set ups... i experimented with tires, suspension, boost controllers, wastgegate adjustmenst, etc... and I can say with assurance that a stage 4 or wahtever stage it is with a k24 turbo running 1.2 bars will do 123 mph at 11.7 1/4.. thats it.. a stage 2 program only will run 11.9 at best@119mph. so look, u need to spend $6K on turbos just to get .2 seconds faster... then once ur there.... at 11.7... u need to spend thousands of dollars($18K) just to do the upgrade and run 11.2s... then u need to do an engine job and more upgrades to run 10s....something just doesnt add up...
so my journey has been a long one... Im still trying to get into the 10s...
coming very soon.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey Stephen, can you elaborate about what you said about support in most of the country?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markski
...and I can say with assurance that a stage 4 or wahtever stage it is with a k24 turbo running 1.2 bars will do 123 mph at 11.7 1/4.. thats it.. a stage 2 program only will run 11.9 at best@119mph. so look, u need to spend $6K on turbos just to get .2 seconds faster... then once ur there.... at 11.7... u need to spend thousands of dollars($18K) just to do the upgrade and run 11.2s... then u need to do an engine job and more upgrades to run 10s....something just doesnt add up...
Has it occured to you that there are much better platforms available for the quarter mile?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Has it occured to you that there are much better platforms available for the quarter mile?
Dock,

Mark has other platforms that he runs in the qtr... and EVO for one I believe.. and has much experience with Turbo cars other than Porsche's. Based on his experience with those other platforms is why he says what he states above does not add up as he puts it...

I agree and I'm sure he does too that there are better qtr platforms... But that does not mean that one can't strive for the most out of the TT platform in the qtr...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Gary - I've followed his posts over on 6speed, and know about his EVO. He basically uses the Turbo's quarter mile performance for what seems to be the sole measuring stick for evaluating upgrades. If the goal is to do well in the quarter mile, we all know there are much better platforms to do it with. And if evaluating upgrades is the goal, there are other measures that serve that purpose better than the quarter mile.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Gary - I've followed his posts over on 6speed, and know about his EVO. He basically uses the Turbo's quarter mile performance for what seems to be the sole measuring stick for evaluating upgrades. If the goal is to do well in the quarter mile, we all know there are much better platforms to do it with. And if evaluating upgrades is the goal, there are other measures that serve that purpose better than the quarter mile.
Agreed,

His goal is to get the most out of his TT in the qtr... so that is HIS meausring stick for evaluating upgrades.... There is nothing wrong with that... To compare the different tuners mods and results in qtr times to each other is very viable for his desired end result.... Not what you maybe looking for out of your TT or maybe even me out of mine... But his homework here may give valuble insight to all of us which can be used in tunning our cars to perform at our desired levels...

Quick Reply: Promotive or GIAC