Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. Dock, just like a Pilot. You have an answer for every situation. You must be a dam good Pilot. My favorite plane is the 777, sitting in row 1 or 2. That is the only way to fly. Before I retired, I flew over 100,000 miles a year or over 100 segments a year and always upgraded to 1st class.

I was at LAX waiting to go to Seattle on 9/11. I was in the Red Carpet Club and saw the second plane hit the tower on CNN. I said "I am going home" and herd on the radio that all of the airports were closed, once I was on my way home. I then had to start flying again two weeks later.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by robertp
My favorite plane is the 777, sitting in row 1 or 2. That is the only way to fly.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If the wuestion is, "Is speed enforcement a safety issue or a revenue issue?", I think it is unquestionable a revenue issue. Most unsafe driving goes unimpeded.
Regarding 911"s accusation that "laws are for everyone else", in reality, people disobey laws that are nonsensical. On I94, the speed limit is 55. Everybody does at least 70, including the trucks. Then on some days speed traps are set up, and for one day, people slow to 60 until they pass the parked patrol cars.
This represents a stupid waste of taxpayer and driver money. Put the police outside bars to test people before they drive off drunk, patrol street corners where drugs are sold, or just walk neighborhoods.
Re perk of speeding by cops: Are they entitled to shoplift, park in handicapped zones, or be nude in public? In my experience, sometimes the closest person to a crook is a cop. But I grew up in Chicago, where I paid my fines on the street. AS
Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Good on 'em, that's what they *should* be doing.
I agree...

Nothing worse than running lights... Puts more people at risk that speeding anyday....
Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Calnca
Track Day

Wonder how many people that are blowing the lights do so because they are speeding?

This is a really funny topic...........I KNOW for every one speeding ticket I have gotten in either cars or motorcycles, I should have been busted multiple times and wasn't. Rules are rules.....if you want to speed (I do) then pay the penalty and go on with life.....but quit trying to "get off" even when you know you are guilty. This whole attitude of it's not my fault is truly going to kill our great country.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Calnca
Rules are rules.....if you want to speed (I do) then pay the penalty and go on with life.....but quit trying to "get off" even when you know you are guilty. This whole attitude of it's not my fault is truly going to kill our great country.
The problem is, rules are *not* rules when it comes to the speed limit. It's all a big game, and getting the ticket thrown out or reduced is just part of that game.

There's no "It's not my fault" scenario going on here.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Lets see....
Don't use a cell phone, set speed limits 15 mph slower than prevailing traffic (and 15 mph lower than pre-1975), semiannual emission tests for every car (in Indiana, and I license 10), don't flash your brights at left lane blockers, .....
Gee, a few more rules and we'll wonder what made us great. I don't think you can legislate everything.AS
Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 AM
stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by saveur2
bleh.
Then he tells me that it's illegal for me to flash a car from behind using the high-beams. !
Perhaps the officier was unaware of the time honored tradition of Porsche drivers flashing their lights to acknowledge one another. Was it your fault that there were a lot of Porches out that night?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 AM
bhouse
AutoX

So on wendesday I just picked up an '01 Turbo in Lewiston, Idaho driving it back to Seattle for a pre-purchase inspection at Barrier in Seattle. The car is still in the sellers name and all I have of proof of ownership is a statement of intent between me and the seller. So I'm sorta sad that I could not fully enjoy my ride back to seattle worried that I might get pulled over. I was a good boy (but did indulge in some spots .... need to check tire balance ... car handles great at the top end ... hey the road was straight and empty). Anyway, I was keeping the speed down everywhere else worried about being pulled over and looking like a thief.

It's a 6 hour drive and at about 4 hours into the drive I get pulled over. I'm thinking to myself ... you gotta be ****ting me. I'm being a good boy and I'm still getting pulled over. Had I missed a speed change (I was doing 70) ... I was sooo bummed. I thought for sure I was off to jail. He pulls me over and tells me he is pulling me over for two reasons.

First, I need to not keep my high beams on. It's against the law in washington state (had no idea) to use your hight beams on a divided highway. Even though it was a divided highway with a wide seperation and plants seperating the directions, I still needed to turn them off. (I think I blinded him as he was in betweent the two directions... man these lights are great).

Second, I was in the far left hand (fast lane) and should not be. Apparently, you can only use the fast lane to pass cars and should exit the fast lane after passing a car. OMG, I could not believe it. I smiled and thought it was ironic that I (I tend to speed a fair bit passing too many cars while in the fast lane) am getting pulled over for not passing cars while in thte passing lane. Oh well ... off to jail with me I figure.

Well, I showed him the paper work, he nodded his head, shine his light in the car. He basically gives the car a good look over. I'm out of the car and talk to him a bit. He's cool, hands me back my paper work and says have a good night.

Well... you know what I did for the last two hours of my drive home. I say screw it and floor it enjoying the car no longer worried about my paper work and I was for damn sure going to use the passing lane properly. The cop was cool and I think he was helping me out and might have also been interested in seeing the car up close.

Bart
Old 03-25-2006, 04:47 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bart, interesting story, I certainly thought the last paragraph was going to be completely opposite. ****, if I just got away from an experience with the police, certainly the last thing I would have thought to do was say, "screw it and floor it!" Interesting piece of logic.
Glad you enjoyed the car and didnt kill anyone.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:26 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Now, where the hell was this cop when I got pulled over!!! Not fair!!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

On the issue of whether to pay or fight, my personal opinion is that we have a civic duty to defend ourselves. It we all take the easy/cheap way out then the abuses just continue. Of all people, Porsche drivers are the ones most likely to have the resources to fight.

The case associated with the above photo is now in the Appellate Court. If I'm lucky, the cop will not be the only road kill.

Speaking of which, I need someone who is willing to act as counsel on an amicus curiae brief. The attorney needs to be admitted in Connecticut but not practicing regularly in the trial courts. The case is highly political and for that reason it is proving very difficult to find counsel willing to act. No real work will be involved.

The amicus is a national lobby organisation which is interested in this sort of issue.

Please contact me if you think this is something you can do or you know someone who might be able to do it.

Stephen
Old 03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Can't quite tell what"s happening in the photo. AS
Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Can't quite tell what"s happening in the photo. AS
This photo might add to the picture.

Stephen

Old 03-27-2006, 12:32 AM
omega
Racer

hey guys look at the rear view mirror in the car behind you.they almost always have their red light infront of the mirror.(in ca.) get a good radar unit , mine has saved me many times.in ca the chp use rolling radar which is the best thing that ever happened to anyone who has a radar detector.. it gives me a mile or so warning

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...