speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by robertp
This is the perk, when they are off duty no other cop is going to give them a ticket.
Getting off the hook for breaking the law should not be a perk. Ordinary citizens getting whacked for the same behavior just makes it worse.

This kind of stuff leads people in Government to many other questionable acts and attitudes. It's a terrible standard to have in this society.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right or wrong? Just a fact of life and seems to be happening across our streets and highways.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:06 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So, I guess it is wrong that the Cops get a few perks for doing a dangerous job but it is ok for some of you to expect a perk of being allowed to break the law and be free of procecution? I get it now. It's the "ME" generation! Rules apply to everyone but ME!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, I guess it is wrong that the Cops get a few perks for doing a dangerous job but it is ok for some of you to expect a perk of being allowed to break the law and be free of procecution? I get it now. It's the "ME" generation! Rules apply to everyone but ME!

So I guess you're the devil's advocate here?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:21 PM
robertp
Racer

With respect to speeding, yes I am guilty and pay the fines if caught. Again, I have no problem that law enforcement individuals not getting traffic tickets.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, I guess it is wrong that the Cops get a few perks for doing a dangerous job but it is ok for some of you to expect a perk of being allowed to break the law and be free of procecution?
Should military members get the same perk? They certainly put their lives in danger. And why should doing a job they (law enforcement) volunteered to do allow them to break the law? If the law is there for a valid reason, then it shouldn't matter at all what a person's income is, and it shouldn't matter what risks they have in their job.

Tell me, if driving above the speed limit is OK for law enforcement, why should it be against the law for me to do the same thing?

If law enforcement gets a pass, then the speed limit must not be that big a deal. If the speed limit is not a big deal, then don't hassle citizens over it.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:27 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by saveur2
So I guess you're the devil's advocate here?
No, but I do live in the real world, as most of us do and realize that we all get privleges we may not deserve for no other reason except who we know, our personality or looks, where we work, etc. Just like it is the perogative of a Cop to let you go with a warning if he so see fit...would that be a perk to the driver that should not be allowed? I am sure most of us here have gotton favors in life for no other reason than who we know.

Who knows...maybe those complaining the loadest about Cops getting a few perks have such a miserable personality that they have never experienced a perk?

Just speculation on my part, tho.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dock
Should military members get the same perk? They certainly put their lives in danger. And why should doing a job they (law enforcement) volunteered to do allow them to break the law? If the law is there for a valid reason, then it shouldn't matter at all what a person's income is, and it shouldn't matter what risks they have in their job.

Tell me, if driving above the speed limit is OK for law enforcement, why should it be against the law for me to do the same thing?

If law enforcement gets a pass, then the speed limit must not be that big a deal. If the speed limit is not a big deal, then don't hassle citizens over it.
Don't yell at me about it. Take your frustration out on your legislature.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're gonna laugh at this...

One sunny afternoon I was driving in the neighborhood...45 mph zone and I'm merrily flowing in traffic at 40-45 mph. I see a cop parked by the side of the road, all of us (maybe 5-6 cars) drive by him and each within the posted limits. Suddenly I see this cop with flashers on come up behind me and pulls me over.

I asked why he had pulled me over? And he says you don't have a front licence plate. I picked the licence plate lying on the passenger side floor...showed it to him...and said, "Officer, I'm just coming from my dealer where I was getting some work done on the front bumper of the car...the work as yet is unfinished hence the reason why I don't have the plate on."

No way Sir, so he gives me a ticket. Go figure whether it's just $$$ they want or it helps gratify an ego that's got little going for it...

Now mind you I live in an area close to Pennsylvania (no front plate requirements) and there tons of cars around without front lic plates.

Some laws are just plain stupid!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
robertp
Racer

Bobby, he was jealous that you could afford a Porsche and he drives a Ford Taurus.

On the other side of the coin, two days into having my Turbo S, I was pulled over by a city cop. I said, what did I do? He said nothing; I love Porsche cars and just had to take a look at your car. He dispatched his other buddy and he also had to come by a take a look. He also said he would never give me a ticket since he is a big Porsche fan and the car was one of the nicest he had seen.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by robertp
Bobby, he was jealous that you could afford a Porsche and he drives a Ford Taurus.

On the other side of the coin, two days into having my Turbo S, I was pulled over by a city cop. I said, what did I do? He said nothing; I love Porsche cars and just had to take a look at your car. He dispatched his other buddy and he also had to come by a take a look. He also said he would never give me a ticket since he is a big Porsche fan and the car was one of the nicest he had seen.
I had a similar thing happen a few years ago with a local Cop. He even came by the house after his shift and went for a ride with me. Now I get PERKS when I speed by him on the road. I should be thrown in jail!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't yell at me about it.
There's no yelling going on from my end. Just questions, observations, and opinions presented in a normal tone of typing...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:01 PM
robertp
Racer

No front plate is also a ticket in California. This is a true story. I drove my 1997 F150 Black 4X4 truck 75,000 miles without plates. It started with a bet between me and two high school friends that I could not get away with driving without my plates on the truck.

Then I drove my 2004 Toyota Sienna 23,000 miles without plates. I just put the plates on last week.

This is no BS story.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
johnyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very first day I took my Turbo to work I drove a co-worker in it at lunch. We were on a "parkway" that resembles an interstate. I wanted to show him how quick the car was so we picked on a mercedes by flooring it. It did impress my friend but did not impress the officer in the unmarked taurs shrinking in my rear view mirror. He did have blinking blues in his grill so I immediately pulled over and rolled down my window. He comes up to my car and asks for liscense and registration. I show it to him and he takes note that both me and my friend are wearing suits. I explain that I just got the car and was appologetic for the infraction. He says "this is not the auto bahn" and hands me back my liscese and said slow it down. We both could not believe he let us go. I admit I did wrong but I also admit that was damn nice of him not to immediately ruin my insurance situation in a car less than 24 hrs old!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, but I do live in the real world, as most of us do and realize that we all get privleges we may not deserve for no other reason except who we know, our personality or looks, where we work, etc.
There's a difference between "privileges" and being "above the law".

Just like it is the prerogative of a Cop to let you go with a warning if he so see fit...would that be a perk to the driver that should not be allowed?
That's not a "perk", that's using discretion.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...