Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speeding ticket via pacing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand why people who admitedly break the law keep complaining when they get caught. And then to justify breaking the law, they point to others that are breaking the law, worse. Seems to me that if want to avoid any punishment, you simply need to follow the law. For those of us (me included) that choose to speed at times, well, we just have to pay the piper if we get caught.

I don't know how many dead people you have seen laying on the side of the road due to a nut at the wheel, but, I assure you, once you have seen one, your attitude will change.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I don't understand why people who admitedly break the law keep complaining when they get caught. And then to justify breaking the law, they point to others that are breaking the law, worse. Seems to me that if want to avoid any punishment, you simply need to follow the law. For those of us (me included) that choose to speed at times, well, we just have to pay the piper if we get caught.

I don't know how many dead people you have seen laying on the side of the road due to a nut at the wheel, but, I assure you, once you have seen one, your attitude will change.
This has nothing to do with dead people on the side of the street, as no one here is talking about wreckless driving, street racing, or trying to break speed records. And you have to realize that yes, laws are there to help and maintain order, but some of these laws were written many, many years ago. They serve practically no use, except make money for the state/government.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Originally Posted by robertp
They really can do anything they want, until they are caught on video. Then, they come up with some reasoning as to why they behaved in that unlawful manner. And again, they can do anything they want.
Exactly. I couldn't agree more on this. But there are still a lot of naive people out there....
Old 03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Kiko
Racer

1999porsche just loves this "bombastic" comments with a bit of an aggressive tone as the cherry on the top...
Old 03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
Actually in Clearwater Fl... They sit by the lights in cars or on bikes...
Good on 'em, that's what they *should* be doing.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man Dock you have great stories!! I'll have to remember that on the next drive to Georgia!!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiko
1999porsche just loves this "bombastic" comments with a bit of an aggressive tone as the cherry on the top...

Oh ****! You caught on to me! LOL!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I don't understand why people who admitedly break the law keep complaining when they get caught.
Speed limit laws in many cases serve no safety purpose at all. Around Atlanta people safely drive 10-20 mph (or more) over the limit on all of the roads, day in and day out. The speed limit is rarely enforced. Governments like to say "speed kills", but my guess is that speeding is not normally the root cause of accidents. It's convenient for government to express their safety concerns in terms of "speed" because this just greases the tracks for their confiscatory ticketing practices. It's really all about the money.

I was driving to work recently, cruising on the interstate doing 80 in a 55. I see a Mustang closing from behind, and he passes me with high closure. As he goes by, I see that he is a Cobb County police officer...in uniform...and the Mustang is not a police car. Officers speeding is just a perk that comes with wearing the uniform. I've had officer friends of mine tell me that they drive their personal cars over the limit all of the time, and that if they get stopped they just flash their ID/badge and they're off the hook. I have no problem with this guy cruising safely at +40 over the posted speed limit...it wasn't unsafe. But he gives tickets to citizens doing exactly the same thing. That's a huge double standard.

I've been told by county police here where I live that they are told to give drivers at least 10 mph over the limit, and if they want they can give 15 over if there is no other safety issue. This just points to the fact that the limits here are really a joke.

The times I've been stopped for speeding, all I can think of is what the reality of the situation really is - a double standard, revenue generating scam.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right; It is a perk for being an underpaid civil servant that we all need some time or another. The poor cops get shot at, and never know when the next stop may be there last. If allowing them to let each other off the hook for speeding is a perk, so be it. Other more serious crimes must be punished now matter who you are.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
robertp
Racer

Also, I have not had a speeding ticket in 20 years and I do speed, but just not for long periods of times and I am always on the lookout for police. I rarely speed on the freeway at night, because you can not tell who is behind you.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If allowing them to let each other off the hook for speeding is a perk, so be it.
Are you saying it's OK for the officers to be "unsafe" on the road during their off duty time?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
robertp
Racer

In my book, unsafe is causation. If they cause an accident, they are held accountable. I have no problem with them getting special treatment because they are civil servants. Comes with the job. The ratio of cops to civilians is so minuscule that if all of them were speeding when off duty, what harm is that causing.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have no problem with them getting special treatment because they are civil servants.
I do.

The ratio of cops to civilians is so minuscule that if all of them were speeding when off duty, what harm is that causing.
No harm...but don't ticket me for doing the same.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dock
I do.

No harm...but don't ticket me for doing the same.
Agreed. Although they are civil servants, they ARE being paid to do a job, and they do know what they are signing up for (ie, getting shot at, car chases, etc.). They can get perks in other areas, just not double-standard-ing. Did you guys read about my other adventure with the police? It was about 4 replies back.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
robertp
Racer

What else do they get? Free bullets, free guns, free uniforms. This is the perk, when they are off duty no other cop is going to give them a ticket. I have seen this first hand. I have an FBI friend that has gotten away with a lot of stuff by flashing his badge.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...