Stiff Shifting into gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
~~~~~~ (Thread Necromancy Occurs here) ~~~~~~

Thanks to the people who posted in this thread. Just wanted to let you know that this thread continues to provide useful info for new owners of 996 Turbo (such as myself).

I am motivated to get a new clutch and get a gear oil change to solve my stiff shifting / grinding 2nd and 3rd synchros under extreme acceleration before I have to invest in a new gearset.

~~~~ end thread necromancy ~~~~
Might not help.

My 2003 with just 10K miles was a lousy shifter. Quite a disappointment actually compared to the buttery smooth shifting of my Boxster.

I lived with the shifting then the shifter broke and the tech advised me to replace the stock Turbo shifter with the improved shifter from the 997 (Turbo or N/A car I can't recall).

Anyhow, I ok'd this and the shifting was a bit better but still not very good.

At around 30K miles the tranny developed a selector shaft seal leak and the transmission was replaced under CPO warranty.

With the replacement transmission the shifting difference was like night and day. Way way better. The Turbo transmission doesn't shift quite as fast as that in my Boxster but that is because the Turbo transmission is a heavier duty tranmission and because of this things are heavier (naturally to withstand the torque).

But the shifting action is like a rifle bolt moving into position. Very precise with no balkiness or difficulty at all.

Might add at the time the transmission was replaced the clutch was fine and was not replaced. However, the tech did advise replacement of the clutch control shaft needle bearings (and some associated dust boots/seals) which I agreed to. He said these should always be replaced rather than reused. If one of these develops a problem it is a transmission out job to address.

The shifting has remained superb now and the car now has over 152K miles on it.

Quick Reply: Stiff Shifting into gears?