Stage 2 996 Turbo versus Ferrari F430

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Something like that nearby I'm staying in 3rd!!! What do you think it would have looked like had you been up in rpms on boost??
Oh, I drove for quite a while in the "ready to go mode". But we went so long without any moves by the 430 that I finally just backed off the revs so I could listen to his engine/exhaust.

In 3rd gear I think I would have jumped him pretty well.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice job Dock! I am looking for the F430's bigger brother!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
jags911tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dock - nice job. How do you like the LWFW? What is it like to drive with one in?

Jags
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
markski
Racer

I recall once going into downtown chicago at night and a brand new 360 spider.... and that was I think in 2002 when they were like $350 K... pulled up on the ramp with a beautiful girl(passenger).... well I guess he wanted to show off... boy did I show him my tailpipes....
Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right before I purchased my 05 Turbo S cab, I had an 03 F360 spider. Very nice car, fast and fun. The F1 tranny is very nice off the line and pulls well in all gears. I also drove an F430 before I purchased the Turbo S, but could not justify the extra $120K. The two cars are very well matched on a track and up to 110MPH (that is as fast as I have driven the Turbo S), but the F430 seems to pull a little better than my Turbo S from 150MPH on. My father has the GT and that car will out right smoke all of the above. Every time I get into that car and back into my Turbo S, the difference is obvious.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 AM
markski
Racer

I traded back a 99 roadster VT diablo for a 2001 TT when they came out.... Now I live In CHicago.... our temps. are not like in Cali... so I couldnt find enough reason to keep it as well... $280K for 4 months of driving a year... I dont think so....
I love my TT....
Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jags911tt
How do you like the LWFW? What is it like to drive with one in?

Jags
I *really* like the LWFW. The clutch engagement point is in the upper third of clutch travel, and the launch and shifting characteristics are very nice - no problems at all on hills. There is quite a bit of noise sitting in neutral at idle with the clutch out. It sounds like a bunch of marbles banging around in a coffee can. This same noise can be heard on launch through about 2200 rpm. And at times I can hear some engine/transmission noise just cruising in one of the higher gears. The LWFW is a megaphone for all engine/transmission noises. If the windows are down I can't hear any of the noises. But the performance advantage is well worth it in my opinion. I will say that the noise is not something everyone would like. There is nothing "GT" about it... it's pure sports car (and then some).
Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the LWFW "noise"...I pulled up to the local motorsports dealer for some enhancements....he walks up to the car, I'm in neutral, sitting there listening to the "chatter" of my new clutch......I say to him "what do you think about that clutch noise?" He says, "SOUNDS GREAT!!"
Nuff said!!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:30 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story Tom..........
Old 03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks robert
Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Khalid
Instructor

Talking Test Drove F430

Test drove my friend F430 couple of days ago AND
i really dont know what to say, its an amazing car, the look the performance everything seems to be fine .... the way you sit and drive the car feels almost like a porsche !

even my friend who had driven my car long time back said the same thing .. that there is too much similarity between driving the porsche and the Ferrari .. except for the sound and transmission

the ferrari sound is .. great and grabs people attention ....

i really loved the F430 but .... let me give a honest thought .. the quality is not what you are paying for !
i mean at some points you feel that the quality is not worth what you are paying for .. the car had 1900km on the odo and the egxaust is rattling and making squeeking noise, the door window sensor is not working .. so when you open the door the window doesnt go down ! (like coupe cars), the sound system is RUBISH !!! ... you can get a better sound system in a toyota !

----
car cost = 218K dollars
------------------
other than that ... its a nice car ... grabs people attention .. people wave at you and take pictures !!

the car is red/red ... if you want more pictures i can add ...

as of performance .. its a bit quicker than a BMW M6 on a straight line ...
but the sound is
M6 = washing machine
F430 = F1 car
Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Khalid
Instructor

Talking

pic pic pic ......
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 PM
johnyg
Instructor

I agree with tom. Try him from second or third and you should have much more pull. Boost is boost but gearing and boost, well that another story. Nice job. I was also impressed with your lwfw. No offense but I mistakingly took you for a garage queen porsche. I guess from some of the mature posts. LOL. I'm glad you are driving that beast. Someone once said something awfully wise that while low mileage helps it does not stop the depreciation on these cars. Use it frequently as you will pay for it anyway! I hope to meet you sometime. Me, Rolo, Hazrati and 2 other turbo cab guys will be at the june Road Atlanta DE come on over and hangout with us. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnyg
Try him from second or third and you should have much more pull.
Oh, I know very well what the difference would have been had I been in 2nd or 3rd.

Originally Posted by johnyg
..No offense but I mistakingly took you for a garage queen porsche.
No offense taken. But my Porsche a "garage queen"?? It never has been...never will be.

Quick Reply: Stage 2 996 Turbo versus Ferrari F430