Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dock, Kiko, GreggT and others: your car must be malfunctioning. With PSM off, I'm able to slide as much as wanted, to do donuts, etc...

Besides, the link to the text explaing how PSM works (see GreggT's post) is spot on and definitely worth to read. And no, PSM doesn't suck. In the 996 it's already pretty damn impressive, and even better (with more 'margin') in the 997.

I'd suggest trying another car before jumping to conclusions.

--p
Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pierre
I agree with Dock, Kiko, GreggT and others: your car must be malfunctioning. With PSM off, I'm able to slide as much as wanted, to do donuts, etc...

Besides, the link to the text explaing how PSM works (see GreggT's post) is spot on and definitely worth to read. And no, PSM doesn't suck. In the 996 it's already pretty damn impressive, and even better (with more 'margin') in the 997.

I'd suggest trying another car before jumping to conclusions.

--p
I read that article, and it made no sense to me because that is not how mine behaves, so it read more like a marketing piece. Now it makes more sense seeing as though that my car has issues.

It is going to the dealer, hopefully they won't wreck it while trying to "reproduce the problem."
Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

stuka - One other thought. What rpm's are you holding in 1st gear just prior to going WOT?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiko
Have you tried in 2nd gear and rolling? I did some donuts once in first gear but it was wet probably its a 1st gear protection thing, try sliding the car in 2 nd on a wide area... if it kills the power with the PSM off (remember PSM is with the red buttons light lit) then the car is malfunctioning.
On my car, PSM disable light is amber, and the door lock light is red.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
It is going to the dealer, hopefully they won't wreck it while trying to "reproduce the problem."
Why don't you drive the car and show them the problem?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
stuka - One other thought. What rpm's are you holding in 1st gear just prior to going WOT?
About 3000, then I stomp on it and redline it. PSM will cut power with the PSM light on the dash flickers on and off, preventing me from doing a nice long slide like you can in any RWD BMW with any kind of HP.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You could be generating an additional "dynamics" problem by flooring it in 1st gear and waiting until redline before accomplishing the 1-2 shift.

The Turbo has a real "granny" gear in 1st, and the car winds up extremely fast in that gear at WOT. In fact, the engine winds up so fast that the analog cockpit tach can not keep up with the actual engine speed. The rev limiter is digital and measured at the engine - this means that at WOT in 1st gear you will be in the rev limiter prior to the analog tach showing actual redline.

When I do WOT 1st gear pulls, I try to shift at ~5800 rpm on the tach...just to stay out of the limiter.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Kiko
Racer

Just try the 2nd gear power oversteering on a parking lot or something very wide and if it cuts the power then go to your OPC and explain the problem as its malfunctioning. Heres some 3rd gear slides both on video and on foto.

video:
http://rapidshare.de/files/8742816/T...rsche.wmv.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
cjv
Intermediate

PSM can be modified to eliminate the throttle body shut down aspect. In other words when slippage is detected the notor will not lose power.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Kiko
Racer

And how's that done? Is it a DiY job?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Woodster
Drifting

CJV
probably Todd K., or Garret thru EVO ??
who/how else can it be done?

Marty
Old 02-15-2006, 12:26 PM
cjv
Intermediate

We used a 90 mm throttle body (from another manufacturer) that picks up the drive by wire input but does not pick up the shutdown.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

funny, I have a few years of track experience and I keep my PSM on and very rarely does it interfere with any "fun". therefore I feel it is there only when I would really need it.
By the way in this track experience, I really NEVER remember being in "first gear" or "stomping" on anything while driving on a road coarse......guess I still have alot to learn!! Even turn 7 hairpin at Sebring is a 4-3-2 heel toe down shift.....? Stuka what track are you driving on where you need to go to "first gear" and "stomp" on the gas? I feel sorry for your PSM!!! LOL

learn how to drive and have some fun!! You have a great car

tom
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Woodster
Drifting

CJV,
Very Interesting...

thanks!
Marty
Old 02-17-2006, 03:58 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
funny, I have a few years of track experience and I keep my PSM on and very rarely does it interfere with any "fun". therefore I feel it is there only when I would really need it.
By the way in this track experience, I really NEVER remember being in "first gear" or "stomping" on anything while driving on a road coarse......guess I still have alot to learn!! Even turn 7 hairpin at Sebring is a 4-3-2 heel toe down shift.....? Stuka what track are you driving on where you need to go to "first gear" and "stomp" on the gas? I feel sorry for your PSM!!! LOL

learn how to drive and have some fun!! You have a great car

tom
Uh, read my other posts, I don't do that at the track, but I want to be able to do it on the street like I used to be able to with my E46 M3.

So unless you are an insturctor, I don't know where you get the learn how to drive part from, I suspect you are in the fast group as I am, no?

And if you are in the fast group, you shold be able to catch the car even if you screw up and got on the throttle too quick and got the back end loose, seeing how AWD won't let the car get too out of shape anyway.

Unless it's momentum induced, in which case, PSM won't do jack sh*t.

As far as wihch tracks, BW, SP, LS, LV, PIR.

Quick Reply: Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?