Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
It is much much worse than that. In the dry, with PSM off, as you begin your turn in, stomp on the throttle, and PSM, even with that nice big amber light telling you that it is off, will still NOT, will NOT, allow the back end to come out.

I have a little bit of experience with my Turbo on dry, wet, snowy and icy roads. With PSM off, it's pretty easy to have the rear come out.

Ok, these pics are not exactly on the dry, but the same kind of behaviour happens on the dry too. Is something wrong with your car?... Weird...

--p
Old 02-14-2006, 09:03 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is much much worse than that. In the dry, with PSM off, as you begin your turn in, stomp on the throttle, and PSM, even with that nice big amber light telling you that it is off, will still NOT, will NOT, allow the back end to come out.
Are you sure this isn't the basic viscous differential AWD design of the car coupled with the too-small front tyres?

My understanding is that PSM only kicks back in when the brakes are applied.

Stephen
Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been doing DE for a while, and I don't understand why anyone who has progressed out of the slow group need PSM on. For crying out loud, it turns itself back on even when it detects power on oversteer. See my above post for example.

I like my Turbo, but it really does look like I need to get a GT2 (which I have been looking) to free myself from this stupid nanny that just won't go away. Heck, my previous hamster powered E46 M3 lets me shut off DSC and it stays off.
Stuka...........congrats on making it out of the slow group. And, if I may, reading this may help you understand your PSM a bit better Jack Miller on PSM
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Kiko
Racer

When you throw the car into the turns and somp on the throttle with the PSM what does it happen? Does the car kill the power or the car understeers? If its the 1st all you need is to make a few changes to remove the cars artificial tendency to understeer (doing suspension, rear GT2 bar, wheel alignment and 235 tyres) this way the csr will show a neutral handling and when you stomp on the throttle oversteer will be present at your will. If the PSM still cuts power under acceleration mans its not desactivated.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Pierre

With PSM off, it's pretty easy to have the rear come out.
I agree. With PSM off, I have no problem at all hanging the tail out.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Agree........I'd add that on the track, with a moded suspension and R compound tires, the 7% slip angle may be enough for you to work with......but flip it 'off' if not......in the wet is a dif story.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I need to try this, it was a huge fun factor in my previous 993TT!!

Marty
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiko
When you throw the car into the turns and somp on the throttle with the PSM what does it happen? Does the car kill the power or the car understeers? If its the 1st all you need is to make a few changes to remove the cars artificial tendency to understeer (doing suspension, rear GT2 bar, wheel alignment and 235 tyres) this way the csr will show a neutral handling and when you stomp on the throttle oversteer will be present at your will. If the PSM still cuts power under acceleration mans its not desactivated.
PSM kills power, and yes, that big amber PSM light off is staring at me from the dash.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
stuka
Pro

OK, maybe I am not making myself clear.

When you begin your turn in, you keep the steering bound up (do not unwind), you leave it in 1st, you stomp on the throttle.

The rear end drifts out a little, and then it stops drifting because PSM, now with that big amber light staring at me from the dash, decided that the car is sliding and it must correct itself, kills the power.

Now, in a normal rear biased or RWD car, the car will keep sliding until a steering correction is made. This is NOT the case with PSM, on or off, doesn't matter. What I want is when I do the above, the rear will continue to come out, as I leave my foot planted on the floor, and correct the car myself.

This is not allowed under PSM. On or off.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by GreggT
Stuka...........congrats on making it out of the slow group. And, if I may, reading this may help you understand your PSM a bit better Jack Miller on PSM
Funny man, Mr instructor.

I have read that article, and PSM still sucks. My point still stand that PAG should have made PSM totally defeatable, like any 30K BMW.

That is not the case here.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Pierre

I have a little bit of experience with my Turbo on dry, wet, snowy and icy roads. With PSM off, it's pretty easy to have the rear come out.
As I said in another post, let me clarify.

PSM will allow you to get the tail out a little, but it WILL NOT, at least on my car, allow the slide to continue. As inm if you keep your foot planted in 1st and second while keeping the steering bound up and do not unwind, PSM will turn itself back on and kill power, stopping the slide.

A normal rear biased AWD cars or RWD cars will continue to slide until the driver does something to correct the slide. That is what I want, and what I am not getting.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK, maybe I am not making myself clear.

When you begin your turn in, you keep the steering bound up (do not unwind), you leave it in 1st, you stomp on the throttle.

The rear end drifts out a little, and then it stops drifting because PSM, now with that big amber light staring at me from the dash, decided that the car is sliding and it must correct itself, kills the power.
With the PSM on, the system will allow about 7 degrees of side slip before interviewing.

With the PSM selected off, there is no system intervention *at all* until the driver engages the brakes.

If you are experiencing PSM intervention with the system selected "off" in the cockpit, and without any brake application, then your car is malfunctioning.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:47 PM
stuka
Pro

With the PSM on, the system will allow about 7 degrees of side slip before interviewing.

With the PSM selected off, there is no system intervention *at all* until the driver engages the brakes.

If you are experiencing PSM intervention with the system selected "off" in the cockpit, and without any brake application, then your car is malfunctioning.
OK, here's what happens:

1. 1st gear, turn in, keeping the steering bound up and do not unwind.

2. PSM shows that it is off.

3. I stomp on the throttle.

4. The car drifts a tiny bit, then the PSM light flickers, and the car stops sliding.

So this is the car malfunctioning? Boy, am I going to have fun trying to have the service guy replicate this along with my clutch problems.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So this is the car malfunctioning?
Yes.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Kiko
Racer

Have you tried in 2nd gear and rolling? I did some donuts once in first gear but it was wet probably its a 1st gear protection thing, try sliding the car in 2 nd on a wide area... if it kills the power with the PSM off (remember PSM is with the red buttons light lit) then the car is malfunctioning.

Quick Reply: Do all 996tt have PSM? And do they all the option of switching it off?