Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 3 upgrade w/o doing exhaust & boost hoses?...is this a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Rams86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 3 upgrade w/o doing exhaust & boost hoses?...is this a mistake?

I am considering taking my car in to Max RPM Motorsports in Bremerton, WA. I was quoted $4,770 (before tax) to for the Stage III flash, billet divertor valves, Evo arirbox, and GIAC switcher.

It's another $1,900 to install new boost hoses and spark plus (the car has 17k and the plug change was suggested). Lastly, it's $3,500 to add a Fabspeed exhasut. Throw in tax, and the bill hits $11g+ for my almost 3-year old X-50.

I want more performance but the thought of sinking this much cash in a car I plan keeping just another year does not seem like a good idea.

The question I have for everyone on the forum is, if I do just the software flash, divertor valves, airbox, and switcher, will I achieve good results by not adding the other components?

I don't want to deal with engine lights or other problems as I still have a year and a half left on warranty. I'm guessing the new boost hoses and plugs would be an easy tip off to the dealer to any mods. (as would the airbox too)

What type of HP gains could I realistically expect without doing the exhaust and other upgrades? Am I courting trouble with hose and heat issues? How much boost can the stock hoses handle? Will the car run a lot hotter and thus lead to other internal damage.

I know the cars have a "bullet proof" reputation but what do you all think? I would appreciate any insight you can provide! Many thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:52 AM
RT7
Burning Brakes

You need the exhaust to go with the kit. IMO, if your plan is to keep the car another year, why bother with the mods? But to get a full performance, you need the exhaust. The silicon hoses are optional since you only have 17k miles. And since you have 2003, I would wait for the plugs/MAF until you need to replace them.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Woodster
Drifting

I agree with RT7, must have some kind of better breathing exhaust (there are many).
ECU only, I say 50HP, better to do a group of things,
last priority would be hoses, (which is a good idea later on)
$2000 sound very high in labor for plugs and hoses (plugs alone should be $400-500)

Marty
Old 02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Red Comet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1900 including parts and labor sounds about right.

IMHO, better to do it now at your convenience than later on at your inconvenience when you've got a boost leak or blown hose.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:04 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do not plan on doing the exhaust save the money and simply do the ECU, DVs, and Box. You will lose too much power. BTW, stage 3 is not 4700. The K24s cost nearly as much as that. Sounds more like a stage 1/2 with the added goodies. FS exhaust is actually around 2995.00 or less with a kit. At least that is how we do it.

Any of the levels that use K24s or GT1 turbos and down will be more than safe in the long run and for daily use. I used mine for almost 30K miles without any issue. Well, except the clutch
Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Yeah Stephen, plus about 60 dyno runs on the poor clutch.. We have to find that old video of you on the dynojet..
Old 02-04-2006, 12:04 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HA, those were the early days. I should find that. I even had the bumper guards on then. I think it was 3 days new when we strarted the dynos.

Quick Reply: Stage 3 upgrade w/o doing exhaust & boost hoses?...is this a mistake?