Sponsored by:

Where to buy auto tools?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Lizard1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy auto tools?

Just an average shadetree mechanic on the weekends and wanted to know if there was a place online where I could purchase my tools from. Seems that I've become too lazy to run up to Home Depot and I always either forget something or they don't have what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.toolss.com/wbstore/main.a...=Cat&Cat=HAZET
http://stores.ebay.com/Samstag-Sales
http://mdmetric.com/

http://www.betatoolsusa.com/index.php
http://www.stahlwille-online.de/inde...d1&lid=2&mid=2

http://mactools.com/home.aspx
http://snapon.com/
Old 01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Craftsman @ Sears.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:33 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Crapsman are not indestructable, but easily obtained and reasonably decent. You can get them from Sears or fleaBay. fleaBay is especially good for larger socket sets that stores never stock.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Lizard1
Racer

thanks guys. i had already checked out craftsman at sears on the net but i kept getting an error page when i went to the sockets or home tools section
Old 01-28-2006, 12:39 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can order on line at snap on. They are costly, but you get what you pay for. Things like the shape of the wrench and how it will put pressure on your hand under continued use make a difference. Sounds silly but trust me it is real. It is no joke when you can't pick a cup up because your hand shot.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You can order on line at snap on. They are costly, but you get what you pay for. Things like the shape of the wrench and how it will put pressure on your hand under continued use make a difference. Sounds silly but trust me it is real. It is no joke when you can't pick a cup up because your hand shot.
Don't talk to me about tools! Bloody hell, the snap-on track parks out back every single day and sits there. WTF is that!?!? Then I look at the bank statements every-so-often and it's Snap-on charge-o-riffic!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Lizard1
Racer

just to make sure before i buy some, i can use a 12 pt socket on a nut that only has 6 sides right? i'm 99% sure it's ok but it just won't grip as well
Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Lizard, yes you can use a 12 point socket, but don't get in the habit of it.. Most nuts are 6 sided, to transfer maximum torque use the 6 point socket. Most nuts and bolts, fastners in general on a Porsche will make your head swim when you check the price of them at the dealer..

I made this recommendation to a local customer that wanted to buy some tools. I told him to purchase Snap on wrenches and rachets.. You can go to Sears for the socket sets.. If you can't find a Snap on truck, go online or on Ebay.. My rachets get rebuild every six months free by Snap on..
Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

It's amazing what you can do with a few tools, and a cold garage slab..

Stephen at work at about 2 in the morning.. You can see just my knee in the first picture, Stephen had the fronts, I was working on the back brakes..

2nd picture shows the speed at 4 AM, and I actually went to bed..

If you look closely to the far left in picture 3, you will see the Shark Mans first tool box...
Old 01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Lizard1
Racer

i just came up with a "wish list" of tools on the snap-on website that i'll give to my wife for Valentine's Day (that's the next present giving holiday right? ) I realize that I won't get everything, escpecially since the total was well over $5K....geeesh

I guess number one is a ball-bearing combo chest & box to store the tools in
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Nice pics. LOL.

The best thing to do if you have a 5K wish list is find Snap on truck and see what he has coming in on trade in's. There is always someone trading something in and 5K will go a long ways.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Lizard1
Racer

the only time i've ever seen a snap-on truck was i think in a movie maybe i can ask my dealer to let me know when one will be stopping by... and the $5K in tools is something that will probably be collected over YEARS rather than one big purchase. even i can't justify that one
Old 01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

You should watch eBay then. You will find all sort of things up there. I would buy more tools this way, but when the ice cream, uh I mean Snap On truck rolls up I am in need something NOW and don't want to wait.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kevin

It's amazing what you can do with a few tools, and a cold garage slab..

Stephen at work at about 2 in the morning.. You can see just my knee in the first picture, Stephen had the fronts, I was working on the back brakes..

2nd picture shows the speed at 4 AM, and I actually went to bed..

If you look closely to the far left in picture 3, you will see the Shark Mans first tool box...

Wow I remember part of that night (i went home while you guys were working for just another 10 minutes). Let's see we were going to leave at 12 noon, and wound up leaving for a straight drive through the night down to LA with no sleep before the dyno run. Got to love it.....

Quick Reply: Where to buy auto tools?