Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
I thought Gunther was the Gemballa guy?
Gunther used to be TTP, Gemballa and a few more, working as a freelancer. He is the R&D director now in Sportec, and still doing some freelance work. Excellent programmer but difficult to get hold of.

RS Tuning, is Reinhold Schmirler, ex-tech head at RUF and the brain behind the Yellowbird project, he left RUF in disagreement (some say because of the Yellowbird) and started RS Tuning. He has probably the most extensive racing palmares in Porsche racing, many race cars have his signature on them although not advertised, builder of the Alzen monster and the EDO car that beat the 'Ring record sometime back. He is "The" guru, in Europe and thinks that you cannot have over (true) 650FWHP on a 996TT put reliably on the road, and that is, using $30k+ intercoolers and staying within 1.1 Bars of boost maximum.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gunther but also Ueli.
I am very happy with their programming work after having reprogrammed my car 3 times there at various stages...
Latest example was when I tried to upgrade from stock to an aftermarket exhaust ; well known manufacturer, 100cell cats etc.. I tried it on the car, immediately felt an drop in response, torque and power below 5,500 not to mention the noise from 1,500-2,500rpm.
Sportec suggested to return that exhaust and switch to their customed stock one with racing cats. While I was very sceptical about that for obvious reasons, I agreed on a trial basis. The situation improved but still the response was poor and the turbo lag very noticeably increased. I decided to take the car there to reprogram the ECU on the dyno and I could not believe the difference the new software made.. Turbos started to kick in at 2,500rpm, peak torque was up to 850nm while the noise was almost same as stock. They seem to have a lot of experience with 996 turbos having tried so many different components.
Pictures and dyno coming up soon..
Old 01-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

GT, welcome.. Please post more information.. I know that your car received new gearing, (6th)correct..
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gunther personally programmed my car (in my car) a few years ago for a k16/k24 hybrid turbo I was using at the time. Her did a great job and it ran smoothly for the entire period that I used his program. I had to dump his program when I switched turbos.

Craig
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default programmers....

They have a very good ECU programmer [/QUOTE]

What makes them such a good programmer? I mean is it to do with the base maps being optimised better or the off base stuff?- or even some tricky used somewhere else.... I just dont get what more you can do to programming the base map any better than tuning for MBT for the spark and running the normal a/f ratios? Excuse my iggorance !
Old 01-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Miles there is a huge gap between the code and maps for a Motronic based ECU vs a standalone system.. You also have to realize that the Motronic systems are adaptive. The top European tuners have the base code to these ECU and emulate vs view and re-write like many other tuners.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM
GT
Instructor

Default Here we go, the "before pictures"

Originally Posted by Kevin
GT, welcome.. Please post more information.. I know that your car received new gearing, (6th)correct..
Note, there were 4-5 small oil leaks that had been around for a while and thus the block looks messy. Car was driving fine but there was this repetitive noise on idle (loose intermediate shaft bearings).
Attached Images           
Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Miles there is a huge gap between the code and maps for a Motronic based ECU vs a standalone system.. You also have to realize that the Motronic systems are adaptive. The top European tuners have the base code to these ECU and emulate vs view and re-write like many other tuners.
Thanks Kevin
Old 01-30-2006, 04:59 PM
GT
Instructor

Default The "during" pictures:

notice the cam alignment was off by about 3 degrees or so..
Attached Images           
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
GT
Instructor

Default ..and the "after" pictures

last ones:
Attached Images        
Old 01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
GT
Instructor

Default And the result of all these:

Note that this is after I changed the exhaust and the difference of the 2 measurements on that chart is before and after further optimisation of software (after new exhasut with 100mm cell cats)
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

GT, Thanks for taking the time to share.. The dyno sheet was done on the engine dyno, correct??
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
GT
Instructor

It was measured on the 4wd dyno they have, so it is estimated power on the flywheel but the measurement is on rear wheels. Measurement was at 400m altitude - it makes a difference since the turbos have to run higher boost to compensate, quite noticeable when I drove back to sea level- and unfortunately fuel that was in the car for over 2 weeks.. (transportation etc).
Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Gunther used to be TTP, Gemballa and a few more, working as a freelancer. He is the R&D director now in Sportec, and still doing some freelance work. Excellent programmer but difficult to get hold of.

RS Tuning, is Reinhold Schmirler, ex-tech head at RUF and the brain behind the Yellowbird project, he left RUF in disagreement (some say because of the Yellowbird) and started RS Tuning. He has probably the most extensive racing palmares in Porsche racing, many race cars have his signature on them although not advertised, builder of the Alzen monster and the EDO car that beat the 'Ring record sometime back. He is "The" guru, in Europe and thinks that you cannot have over (true) 650FWHP on a 996TT put reliably on the road, and that is, using $30k+ intercoolers and staying within 1.1 Bars of boost maximum.
Thanks Jean. RS Tuning sounds like a very serious group. Do they have a presence in North America?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is a recent dyno sheet that Uli sent to me.. I had a very small contribution

Quick Reply: Sportec finds hidden power?