Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 996 TT "S" vs. 04 996 TT X50 differences??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Angel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 996 TT "S" vs. 04 996 TT X50 differences??

Hello,

I am in the market for a 996 TT cabio. I am looking at either an 05 TT "S" or and 04 with the X50 package. I don't have plans on modifying the car all that much (aside from a GT2 style body kit, exhaust, ecu)

I would like to know what the differences are btw. the two cars. Is the only difference btw. the two cars the "S" on the badge? I know the "S" comes with a lot of features as stock, such as the big boy brakes.

What car will be worth more down the road? Will the S hold a higher value over the 04 TT with the infamous X50 upgrade or will it be the other way around?

Basically, I'd like to know if I am better of with the 04 or 05 model. Is spending another 5-10K worth it for the 05? The 04 can be found a lot cheaper, but if the 05 has some features that are different/better than the 04, I would consider the 05. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Rams86
Advanced

Always go newer! I have an '03 coupe with X-50, PCCB, SSK, carbon and navigation. I wasn't the original owner, but whenthe car was new it had a window sticker at $152k. My friend bought an '05 TTS Coupe that had the Generation II PPCB's, plus sport seats, deviating stitching, SSK, among other options and paid $139k. Porsche cleaned out the parts bin to make the TTS and I think it will have more value down the road. But remember, the 996's have been depreciating like rocks! Go for the '05 and the four years of warranty. God luck, post some pics when you finally buy.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go the other way. I don't think the S will be worth more. Other factors like miles and condition will have more impact in several years. The PCCB's don't have value to me, since the stock brakes work really well.
Since all of these cars are a depreciating asset, the less you have tied up, the better off you will be financially. However, the most important consideration is to get the one you want. AS
Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like the value of factory options on a used car don't add all that much to the value, except in the eye of the potential buyer who cares about those options. Even then, options seem to depreciate at a faster rate than the car as a whole. Dealer trade-in values seem to minimize the value of options. I have heard that from a trade-in point of view, dealers give nothing for the x-50 upgrade.

I wonder how many X50 cabs were made? I have seen '05 "Turbo S" cabs.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all things being equal, mileage is probably the most important issue on trade in. if you keep it 3 years, and you have more than 15k miles, the trade in/resale will agressively decrease as your mileage increases. as soon as the 997tt comes out, that will push down the value of the 996tt even more.. for various reasons, the value of the 996tt has and will held up much more poorly than other family of turbos.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Angel
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on keeping the car for a while. I have always dreamed of owning a 996TT, I test drove an X50 last year, sold my E39 M5, and have been trying to get my hands on once ever since.

The "always go newer" concept sounds good, I agree it should hold it's value longer over time. I have heard of the X50 package not adding any real additional value to an older TT. The "S" on the other hand, was only built for one year, and a LOT of the options come standard, such as the gen II PCCB's, a very expensive option.

Are the 997 TT due out in September? Would the best time to buy one (996 TT S) be at that time or would it matter significantly ($ wise) if I made the purchase right before the summer? When can we expect to see the sale price to start dropping for the 996s? Thanks again for your help guys. I'll be sure to post pics as soon as I get my hands on one. Any other differences btw the two? Is the "S" larger (wider) than the 04 TT?

Regards,
Harry
Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Angel
Thanks for the info guys. I plan on keeping the car for a while. I have always dreamed of owning a 996TT, I test drove an X50 last year, sold my E39 M5, and have been trying to get my hands on once ever since.

The "always go newer" concept sounds good, I agree it should hold it's value longer over time. I have heard of the X50 package not adding any real additional value to an older TT. The "S" on the other hand, was only built for one year, and a LOT of the options come standard, such as the gen II PCCB's, a very expensive option.

Are the 997 TT due out in September? Would the best time to buy one (996 TT S) be at that time or would it matter significantly ($ wise) if I made the purchase right before the summer? When can we expect to see the sale price to start dropping for the 996s? Thanks again for your help guys. I'll be sure to post pics as soon as I get my hands on one. Any other differences btw the two? Is the "S" larger (wider) than the 04 TT?

Regards,
Harry
The S is not wider... It is nothing more than a X50 with options and an "S" badge.. Why will it hold Its value any more than any other 996TT.. It will only be worth more due to the fact it is an 05... so it's newer and will have les miles.. The "S" adds nothing to the 996TT. It was only made to clean out the parts bin... Parts that were not being ordered as expected on other turbos... So they made an S model, added the parts they wanted to move and priced it accordingly... It's still a great car.. but not what we are used to seeing in an "S" badged Porsche. I can have a 996TT X50 with the same options. It will not have the S badge, but it will be the identical car..

Now the 993TTS is a different ball game.. There is something of value there... Not just an "S" badge with options that anyone could have ordered on their 993TT thrown in.. So yes, it was limited in production, and has value because it is DIFFERENT than a standard 993TT...
Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
red993tt
Racer

Agree with Gary. The S on the 996TT is nothing but a badge. Hardly entails exclusivity. Whereas the S in the 993TT means more as far as exlusivity, performance and styling. IMHO a regular 996TT with a Ruf engine upgrade on the other hand brings better performance hence better value to the car.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Angel
The "always go newer" concept sounds good, I agree it should hold it's value longer over time.
No, since they are depreciating rapidly going for the oldest one makes more sense. 5-7 years from now the difference will be $2-3k......the '04 is the better deal given equal condition.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry, you certainly still seem "undecided" ie 04 05 what about new etc. I would rather know why you want this car and what you are going to be doing with it? If price doesnt matter,he!! get the 06, if yes get a good condition 03. If you are driving it to work and general fun/spirited driving the X-50 package costs more and is worth nothing at trade in and you may not need it. As for PCCB, again what would they be for? dont stop any better on the street (ie street speeds) and I woulnt use them on the track so again why pay for them..........I vote unless reasons I dont know about or you have alot of money, bang for you buck and this car is low mileage 03 maybe 04.

good luck

let us know!

tom
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Angel
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies guys.

OK, I live in the city (NYC) and I don't use a car that often. I want to get a TT so that I can escape from the city on weekends and take long trips on roads and tracks where the car can really be appreciated. I won't be driving the car in traffic day in and day out. If I can find the time, I'd love to take her to the track.

I plan on keeping the car for a long time...possibly play with some mods later on down the line. I would like to hit the 500hp mark, and from what I was told, that can be done for around $5k.

The PCCB brakes look fantastic on the car. I doubt it very much if I will need them, I just really like how those huge yellow calipers stick out (matching yellow seat belts and interior stitching/crest would be nice as well) .

As far as getting a new TT, I don't think my pocket can handle that kind of damage, so I ruled that option out.

As far as what the car will be worth, I still think it makes sense that the 05 will be a more sought after car in the future, not only because it was the last of the 996TTs, but because not as many S versions were made compared to regular 996TTs. I wonder how many 996TT S were made.

It doesn't make a real big difference to me, but having the S as opposed to a standard or an X50 is a plus because you get "S" door moldings and centre console, has 18-inch wheels in “GT silver metallic”. The hubcaps sport a colored Porsche crest. The extended standard features include cruise control, a six CD changer system and the green tinted band at the top of the windscreen, along with the PCCB brakes.

It has also aluminium-coloured dial faces with the “Turbo S” logo on the rev counter. If I had decided in favor of natural leather, this material is specially embossed on the middle strips of the seats, the steering wheel rim (where it is handled), the shift lever and the hand brake lever.

If I was building the car from scratch, I may not want all of the above, but since it comes standard, why not. If I compare these stats to the 04, and than added all the extra features the "S" has, I think we are talking a difference of 10-15K plus in options. Not bad.

In conclusion, I'm still confused as to what to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for the help.

Harry
Old 01-18-2006, 07:19 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

If I were in your shoes I would strongly consider one of the many lightly used GT2's on the market. For weekend driving, track, depreciation, fun, speed, mod-ability, exclusivity, and a host of other positives....The GT2 fits the bill. And, as far as kicking a##...A modded GT2 will likely kill a new 997TT at the track. As a daily it would be no good, but as a toy, it is the pick.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after reading your last post, seems u have made up ur mind, JP of course is totally correct!!

and ps, if yellow calipers are such a big deal, paint them, still look cool if you like that poser stuff!!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
if yellow calipers are such a big deal, paint them, still look cool if you like that poser stuff!!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, alright...

If you want the S go for it. You won't regret it. I went thru the same exercise, the pros & cons of an X50, etc...and then ordered the Turbo S. 13 months and 17,000 miles later it was one of the better decisions I made.

The guys are probably right on most performance comparisons between the S and an X50 except that the PCCB's, even for spirited street driving, are a notch above the Reds. Of course the badging and sundry aesthetics do separate it from other Turbos. And they only made 180 coupes, and if I recall correctly ~ 550 cabs.

Choose whichever your heart lusts for 'cause we only live once. Depreciation and death are inevitable.

Quick Reply: 05 996 TT "S" vs. 04 996 TT X50 differences??