Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOST THIRD GEAR AT THE TRACK!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005 | 11:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Unhappy LOST THIRD GEAR AT THE TRACK!!

Ok, before I go to the dealer, need a little advise......Spent the weekend at Homestead raceway......On the seventh 30 minute session.....midway through, started having trouble getting car to go into third gear. Finally started to make grinding sound and couldnt get third gear at all. All other gears are perfect.

Well, porsche dealer installed a porsche SSK last week (not that that was the problem) but first any ideas what is the matter and second what is porsche going to say car is still warrantied??

And if they have to open the tranny what do I need to know so they check it right and of course any thing to get or upgrade while all this is out?? I have the X-50 trans.

Thanks for any help, advise, or info!!

tom
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:45 PM
omega
Racer

do not tell them you track the car, rumor has it the tracking the car will void the warranty.... thats the story in ca
Old 12-12-2005 | 12:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

without more info, my wild guess is your synchro is gone.

you DID NOT track the car of course. under warranty, the dealer will usually just replace/repair the gear box no questions asked as long as they can duplicate the prob you encountered. it's good that your ssk was done by dealer, so they can't point fingers.
Old 12-12-2005 | 12:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Tom,
Your dealer will likely, as a matter of course, read out the ECU and look for Type 2 (mechanical) overrevs.

(FWIW, Type 1 overrevs are just you hitting the electronic rev limiter under acceleration, no problems, as that's what it's there for)

If Type 2 overrevs are found, they will assume track time and may possibly not cover the repair(s) under warranty. It will likely depend on your relationship with your dealer and what they find when they read out the ECU.
Next will be a quick (magnetic) check for particles in the transmission fluid.

Does it happen all the time? Only when it's hot? Coming up thru the gears or coming down thru the gears?
Old 12-12-2005 | 10:15 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys on my way to dealer.....Of course I was just driving around town minding my own buisness!

Lewis it wont go into third at all, just grinds! boy it doesnt sound good, let ya know, thanks for the reply

tom
Old 12-12-2005 | 10:38 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Thanks guys on my way to dealer.....Of course I was just driving around town minding my own buisness!

Lewis it wont go into third at all, just grinds! boy it doesnt sound good, let ya know, thanks for the reply

tom
Tom,

Revees or Bert Smith?
Old 12-12-2005 | 11:19 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Tom,
sorry to hear about the box,
good luck!
Marty K
Old 12-12-2005 | 12:33 PM
gney996
Instructor

Have had the same problem,downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.The dealer change the transmission fluid n it cured the problem.Another cause could be your clutch footwork,on the track especially,most wait till the last moment(late braking) n in their haste the clutch is not depress adequately for the engagement of the appropriate gearchange.
Old 12-12-2005 | 12:35 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Tom,

Well glad you got those sessions in before it went bad...These tranny's are pretty tough...should not have happened, but again, anything can and does break at the track....They'll fix it so no sweat....You will probably get a new tranny out of the deal....Let us know.
Old 12-12-2005 | 01:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Still could be a shifter install issue, or linkage problem. Good luck Tom.
Old 12-12-2005 | 02:01 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

beware.....loose lips sink ships.
Old 12-12-2005 | 03:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oak
beware.....loose lips sink ships.
that's absolutely true Good luck with the issue. Hopefully it's nothing more than what's been mentioned
Old 12-12-2005 | 04:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The third gear shift fork in the tranny is a weak link. I have seen a number of cars with third gear issues (not getting in, or won't come out). When rebuilding or modifying the internals, it is good to get a Guard shift fork to replace the factory one. Of course there are a couple of other things, but none of them are really good (this is assuming that they did install your SSK properly). Best to have the dealer look at it and replace under warranty... Good luck
Old 12-12-2005 | 04:54 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Just remember to take the NUMBER off the side first
Old 12-12-2005 | 06:25 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Well thanks everyone (and Gary it is at Reeves). Just got back from watching the autopsy of my beloved tranny. The second gear is ruined as is its synco and the third gear synco. They feel the car "may have been abused or drag raced" but the only thing they know for sure is I am FULLY responsible for the bill.
On an interesting note, this is an "X-50" car and there is no "steal" first and second gear syncos in this trans..... ?guess I was misinformed?
Anyway......they dont have a price yet......any ideas while the trans is apart......I have heard that Porsche Motorsports does have first, second and third gear steal syncos "that are very expensive" will let you know if I can get them and how much they cost!

Thanks again for all the sympathy, support, relpies, and any advise!!! Sorry for sometimes using this forum for therapy, much cheaper than a psycotherapist!

PS, there were no "type two" overrevs.

Happy Holidays

tom

Quick Reply: LOST THIRD GEAR AT THE TRACK!!