Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upsolute ECU Chip...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:58 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure this will draw out the peanut gallery, but do you guys think these numbers just appeared yesterday? There are over 3-4 years of testing and dynos on these boards. I am not sure who is starting this crusade, but it seems to have an agenda. Again, I suppose all the dynos mean nothing and must have been photoshoped? The offer stands that if anyone actually wants real data come to the shop and I will arrange for a dyno on a TT. I will tune it and let the chips lay where they may. People, this is nothing new.

Speaking of real data and where the masses draw their numbers lets look at a few and see if you can answer them. This might help better understand how increase is possible.

First question, does anyone know what the average HP increase to the wheels is for every 2ths of a bar, for the K16 and again for the K24 on a 996TT. Hint (It will not be the same)

Do you know what the average CFM of the K16 and the K24 given at stock boost and lets say 1.1 bar?

Lets look at some quick numbers out there on the exhaust. All factory exhaust has to not only be 50 state legal, but TUV approved and meet requirements from the most strict, like Sweden. Back pressure robs HP. How is that. Any of you ever had a clogged Cat. What happened? Car didn’t want to move did it? The formula states that when added boost goes through a restrictive chamber the loss becomes greater as the the flow increases. So while the factory makes good at 419HP and hits all the requirements, it will not at the amount of CFM needed to pass at higher levels. Why does it do it at all? Because, as the exhaust gets hotter and hotter it will allow the air to get thinner and pass. Still not without great back pressure. Back pressure adds low end torque, but robs HP and over TQ and HP numbers as well as lowers boost numbers.

Some numbers again to chew on. These are the data points from my testing years ago. It has been updated since then so you will see some new names.

Stock 6.3 lbs
GHL 3.0 lbs
Fabspeed 1.75lbs
Europipe 2.25lbs
RUF 3.0lbs
Cargraphic 1.85lbs
PSI 2.5lbs
996TT.com 1.6lbs
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for Dock's claim. I saw a dyno video of a 996TT with Upsolute. At the end of the dyno run, the camera panned over to the screen which registered over 530 corrected HP. I installed the Upsolute over two years ago. Amazing power increase and never an issue with CELs. I also have a B&B 100 cell cat exhaust and the EVO intake. You know, with all this questionable aftermarket stuff on my car, you'd think I would have CELs coming out of my ears. What's a CEL?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Stephan, Good stuff. I was always curious about the actual backpressure psi! thanks for that. I have a question for you. A local tuner offers a 100 cell cat upgrade to the stock TT muffler only. What do you think the backpressure and performance gains would be. Everthing about the stock exhaust would be the same except the cats. The cost is $2800 installed. What do you think?? Mike
Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Stock 6.3 lbs
GHL 3.0 lbs
Fabspeed 1.75lbs
Europipe 2.25lbs
RUF 3.0lbs
Cargraphic 1.85lbs
PSI 2.5lbs
996TT.com 1.6lbs
There you go. Great test Stephen and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

You are welcome Jean.

The problem with the stock exhaust is that there are a series of baffles in them. So one would assume that the BP is still going to be high. You best comparison since the RUF starts as a stock muffler is that unit. It runs a single set of cats and carries about a 3 lbs load.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Stephen, any idea of psi on the AWE exhaust. Or can you recommend an exhaust with no resonance, Thanks Mike
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Hang on folks, here we go again....
Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Marty,
If you can answer my questions then you will have the answers to yours. That simple
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Kiko
Racer

Europipe!!!! NO RESONANCE whatsoever!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 AM
RoadKill
Instructor

Stephen,

Good G*d almighty! Don't confuse us with facts. Its a lot more fun to argue based on opinions and prejudices.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Stephen, I hate to admit, I cannot answer your question. I am trying to learn as much
as possible however. Next Spring I will come to your shop and play on the dyno, hopefully
before and after my next group of mods (which is not totally decided).
BTW, LAT is at RUF (Germany) as we speak! All he could say was "effing awsome!"
My "guess" is 15 hp for the k-16, and 20 hp for the k-24??
MK
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Mike,

Small down fall I have. I love data. Data weeds the butt dynos and the speculation out and brings the truth to the surface. Few take their own car and actually test, few even care. I have always done this starting with the 930 I owned. After over 30 Porsche I have a few data points.

Marty,
You are off on the numbers. These are the types of things that will give you the information you seek. See some things you can not get around and when you have misinformation barking in your ear with no proof then the facts seem cloudy. Like the exhaust BP numbers. They speak for themselves. Few even know what the back pressure is of a stock muffler. Few have ever had a cat clogged or even know what the burn down rate is and the effects. Bottom line is come spend some time with LAT and our shop. You will see that the questions you have are very black and white.

Don't forget, I am one of you. I own a TT and do so because I love the cars. Not because I wanted a R&D project. Again, my car is driven more than most up here and without dispute more mileage modified than anyone to date. A Porsche nut.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey... now what on Earth are you doing with a Land Rover:P You know that car is from England.. where I come from, right?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey... now what on Earth are you doing with a Land Rover:P You know that car is from England.. where I come from, right?
Heck it's a step up from last year's shop hooptie. When that rig goes up in flames where it has retired behind the shop, it's gonna burn for days. Ask him how fun it is to change sunroof gears in a land rover
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Yes, I do now. Freakin *******. What the hell is a matter with you poeple? Everything in this thing is a pain in the ****

Last years hooptie was the best 500.00 we ever spent. It will burn for days though.

Quick Reply: Upsolute ECU Chip...