Sponsored by:

996 TT rear spoiler problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 AM
996TT02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
I've had a couple suggestions in that direction. Possible? Yes of course. Cost? Outrageous. The mechanism would be pretty far from what the simple eRam approach involves. Still, I would enjoy figuring this one out!
Hey Dave here's what 1 minute of thought came up with.

Firstly unless the wing were enlarged I guess this would just be a bit of flash, little more. But anyway.

I'm thinking this could be done "relatively" simply.

The ram "head" pivots in the fore-aft plane, but is spring loaded to keep the wing in the normal position.

When the ram lifts, connected to the pivoting head at the front is a rod say 6mm dia, pivoted where it attaches to the head. This runs through a guide at the bottom of the ram well anywhere from flush with the engine cover, downwards.

This rod has a stop at the bottom. Let's call it a nut. Could well be, why not.

Normally, the ram lifts, the rod lifts with it, and everything stops just about where the rod "nut" barely contacts the rod guide.

You know what's coming.

If the ram lifts a little bit further, the rod is now restrained, so it pulls down the front of the pivoting head.... and the wing tilts forwards.

Aside the mechanicals, the ram would need to have 2 stop positions at the top of its travel, one for regular wing angle, and one for tilted wing angle.

Have fun... and send me a pair of free e-rams for the advice hahaha
Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Jan (pronounced Yan) at P-Speed this morning, he seems extremely knowledgeable about the OEM system and even the back story of the OEM supplier and why the system fails, or will eventually fail. It seems they have re-engineered some of the internals so that they won't fail, and even cycle test them for 3 days post-repair to ensure everything is working right before they return the system to you.

It seems like a great alternative at ~$800 usd, with that guarantee, the only potential drawback for me is the shipping, looking like potentially $200-ish each way, I'm expecting a full quote back by the end of the day.

DaveCarrera4 - Jan also mentioned that most of the guys in Germany want to keep their cars stock, due to the fact that they need to be stock in order to re-sell them. I think the ability to modify cars there is highly regulated which is also probably part of it. Kudo's on breaking into that market! You have a great product no doubt.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillZ260
I spoke with Jan (pronounced Yan) at P-Speed this morning, he seems extremely knowledgeable about the OEM system and even the back story of the OEM supplier and why the system fails, or will eventually fail. It seems they have re-engineered some of the internals so that they won't fail, and even cycle test them for 3 days post-repair to ensure everything is working right before they return the system to you. It seems like a great alternative at ~$800 usd, with that guarantee, the only potential drawback for me is the shipping, looking like potentially $200-ish each way, I'm expecting a full quote back by the end of the day. DaveCarrera4 - Jan also mentioned that most of the guys in Germany want to keep their cars stock, due to the fact that they need to be stock in order to re-sell them. I think the ability to modify cars there is highly regulated which is also probably part of it. Kudo's on breaking into that market! You have a great product no doubt.
I have some pretty excited Germans that will be promoting my product there, one grew up near the Nurburgring and knows lots of drivers there! Yes some of them dislike anything other than OEM, you have to understand their mentality, I think I do, I've lived there. Will be interesting to see how many adopt my system. I've always said throw the old system in a leakproof box and hand it to the next owner should that day ever come.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

I've had a couple suggestions in that direction. Possible? Yes of course. Cost? Outrageous. The mechanism would be pretty far from what the simple eRam approach involves. Still, I would enjoy figuring this one out!
Well, if you ever go that direction count me in

I'm waiting and almost hoping for my hydraulics to fail so I can justify buying this kit to my "financial manager"
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 PM
atisvt99
2nd Gear

Great info! Just sent Dave a message... B-)
Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 AM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Default Spoiler attachment

Having spent some pretty frustrating time with the spoiler rams, I have all of the hydraulic system working again. Trying to re-attach the spoiler to the rams is proving to be impossible. I can rotate the rams with the tool, but the center part that is supposed to lock the spoiler down is held in place by a snap-ring, and clearly is not locked to the rams. This means the 'locks' can rotate inside of the rams. How on earth can I get these things to re-connect and properly lock down, I can turn the rams until I'm blue in the face but the spoiler stays loose... This is a GT2 style wing but the attachments look the same as a stock wing. Any suggestions much appreciated. Disappointed both with the reliability of the spoiler operation and the design of this on the car.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ringnalda
Having spent some pretty frustrating time with the spoiler rams, I have all of the hydraulic system working again. Trying to re-attach the spoiler to the rams is proving to be impossible. I can rotate the rams with the tool, but the center part that is supposed to lock the spoiler down is held in place by a snap-ring, and clearly is not locked to the rams. This means the 'locks' can rotate inside of the rams. How on earth can I get these things to re-connect and properly lock down, I can turn the rams until I'm blue in the face but the spoiler stays loose... This is a GT2 style wing but the attachments look the same as a stock wing. Any suggestions much appreciated. Disappointed both with the reliability of the spoiler operation and the design of this on the car.
yet another design flaw. Factory depends upon friction to "lock up" the bayonet bolt. My kit has the owner attach the bayonet bolt assembly to the wing first using a big screwdriver, as it is slotted. That is not an option with the factory set up. Maybe try a bunch of Loctite on the bolt and belville washers???
Old 03-13-2016, 02:12 PM
996TT02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ringnalda
No problem, fellow headbanger here.

The solution is simple.

The c-spanner's pin must enter the slot in the "locks", not just engage with the chrome outer cover. The "locks" have slots in them for this purpose, no worries. I.e. you enter via the holes in the outer chrome covers that are spinning, you just need to make sure that these holes are in line with the slots in the "locks", you ensure the c-spanner pin can go deep enough, and rotate.

No tricks no magic.

Other than, well, I used a cheap bicycle adjustable c-spanner (worked well) but I had to grind the inside edge a bit so the pin was long enough to engage. Probably if you have the right tool this is not necessary.

I believe I may have written about this earlier on in this thread.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks a million

Thank you very much Ron!!!

Just confirmed why I appreciate these forums so much. So I rotate the outer ram a little to stop grime and dirt going into the slots...

Thanks again, Jan
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Not sure the bayonet bolt is attached to anything directly? I could be wrong.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 AM
996TT02
Intermediate

Not sure the bayonet bolt is attached to anything directly? I could be wrong.
It's not, it's free to rotate, it locks to the actual wing and then is no longer free to rotate. In the pic you can also barely make out the slot on the circumference (lower edge) into which the c-spanner's pin should engage, failing which, only the chrome outer cover will rotate.

The bit within the wing is spring loaded or gives a little as the bayonet pin fitting itself has an over-centre-camming effect to prevent it from unscrewing of its own accord i.e. during the locking procedure the wing internals are first tensioned more than necessary then as the rotation continues due to the design of the slot in the actual bayonet "pin" they give a bit, so effect the pin self-locks as for it to unscrew it would have to go against increasing rather than decreasing pressure.

At the end of the day it is the heavy circlip that stops the wing from divorcing from the vehicle so one must ensure that this is properly seated in its slot.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Michaelniwot
Cruisin'

Michael, you are my first order for two eRam kits! You are right, just not worth it to fuss around with the stock hydraulic system.
One kit fitted and for the first time the rear wing is operational. Lovely design and workmanship on these kits together with extremely user friendly instructions. I have no mechanical aptitude but was able to follow the installation manual and successfully install the system. I couldn't believe it when it all worked.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michaelniwot
One kit fitted and for the first time the rear wing is operational. Lovely design and workmanship on these kits together with extremely user friendly instructions. I have no mechanical aptitude but was able to follow the installation manual and successfully install the system. I couldn't believe it when it all worked.
wow! Quite a testimonial Michael! Mind if I use that on my testimonials page?
Michael bought two kits...lucky man to have two TT's in the garage!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Michaelniwot
Cruisin'

Please feel free to quote me and let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Michaelniwot
Cruisin'

Second kit fitted with no issues. Again, worked first time. 4 inch Rams and whatever anyone says, size does matter!.

Quick Reply: 996 TT rear spoiler problems - Help!