Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

my motto, .....don't believe the hype.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have EVO intake and AWE headers&low flow cats-no issues. The only negative is the noise-sounds like a GT car under full throttle-have to be careful in town. Really need to look at your engine compartment and installation.
John J in SA....
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

I find this EVO airbox issue very puzzling. I am just waiting for mine to fail, but I have nearly 3 seasons of driving and approx. 10,000 miles on mine and the car runs great. Better with the EVO than without.

Question for those that have had problems: If the MAF fails on a trip, can you drive the car home?
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 11-04-2005, 11:35 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Just wait till you drive the car really hard one day, and jump on it and the car coughs and all the lights go off. CEL, ABS, PSM Or you go through a small dust storm, and the particles go right through the Evo crap filter, the car coughs again and all the lights go off...Believe me, it will happen at the most inopportune moment and you'll be pissed. Yes the car will drive home, because it reverts to another map. But should you really have to put up with that? Sunday drives might work for a while.....But I am talking about real cross country 15 hour drives and track work.....Porsche parts please...I learned my lesson......Porsche actually tests their stuff.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

YEAH... BUT IT MAKES AN EXTRA 40HP! jk LOL!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:49 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Waiting for the airbox to fail??? Well I've been on mine and have no problems. Guess I'm lucky?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

the majority of everyone I know that has tried the box has had some type of MAF issue. I think it's just a coincidence. The stock MAFS are just lame. LOL. There was a poll on 6speed awhile back on the EVO V Flow and MAF issues.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:01 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oak,

LMAO - good one. re: 40HP

JP,

I understand what you are saying, but I drive the car daily, all weather and I drive it hard, often. Full throttle bursts all the time. Also, several 5-6 hour highway drives in steady high speed traffic, mountain days, etc.. This is not a Sunday driver....51,000 miles in 3.5 years. And the EVO has been rock solid, "SO FAR". With all the talk of failures, I am now wondering when/if it will happen. I love the product, but only because I have not had problems. Had I experienced some of the stories posted here, it would be off the car.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:08 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Oak
the majority of everyone I know that has tried the box has had some type of MAF issue. I think it's just a coincidence. The stock MAFS are just lame. LOL. There was a poll on 6speed awhile back on the EVO V Flow and MAF issues.
Majority of everyone you know is how many? I saw the poll...sorry not very scientific (I'm a statistician). I've seen reports of MAFs going all the time. Agreed there are some issues with the oil on the filters, but that is also true of K&N filters. Good news is using the V-flow box is a choice not a requirement.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Majority of everyone you know is how many? I saw the poll...sorry not very scientific (I'm a statistician). I've seen reports of MAFs going all the time. Agreed there are some issues with the oil on the filters, but that is also true of K&N filters. Good news is using the V-flow box is a choice not a requirement.
I agree it's not scientific. It's just a coincidence. BTY, I have the K&N and have not had any problems.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:17 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Oak
I agree it's not scientific. It's just a coincidence. BTY, I have the K&N and have not had any problems.
Oh...so that means there are no problems with the K&N filters...or is that a coincidence...now I feel better.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sticking with you JP you track your car hard and that is why after market **** fails. guys who "drive hard to work?" have no idea what an hour at full boost and redline is like on a car. It is that kind of driving that separates the factory stuff from the ****!! My stock X-50 muffler is back on!!
All these guys with no problems with the last nine exhausts NEVER push there car to the limit they just want it to "sound cool"
John D I realize you are driving your car a lot but IMHO unless you are on the track for over an hour with 100 degree heat and 140 track temps I really dont think it is the same thing. That is why I keep asking all these "I have over 1000hp" (LOL) guys if they think there car will blow up at the track. They cant even make it the 1/4 mile without the MAF BLOWING UP!!
I'm following JP's advise.

tom
Old 11-05-2005, 04:46 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tom,

Most of the MAF failures described are not track related, but rather "street use". That is why I am puzzed that some users seem to have nothing but trouble and others no problem at all. I am simply stating that I drive my car a lot and fairly hard, often, with no problems. Perhaps you are correct about track use - perhaps not, but since I have no desire or intention to track my car....what I am doing works for me.

As far as only feeling safe running a stock car on the track, that's one approach, but if you look at all the teams that race Porsches... their cars are heavily modded, go the distance and quite often, win. I think with carefully choosen mods you can improve the stock car - without ill effects.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:21 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I am sticking with you JP you track your car hard and that is why after market **** fails. guys who "drive hard to work?" have no idea what an hour at full boost and redline is like on a car. It is that kind of driving that separates the factory stuff from the ****!! My stock X-50 muffler is back on!!
All these guys with no problems with the last nine exhausts NEVER push there car to the limit they just want it to "sound cool"
John D I realize you are driving your car a lot but IMHO unless you are on the track for over an hour with 100 degree heat and 140 track temps I really dont think it is the same thing. That is why I keep asking all these "I have over 1000hp" (LOL) guys if they think there car will blow up at the track. They cant even make it the 1/4 mile without the MAF BLOWING UP!!
I'm following JP's advise.
tom
Tom. That is a slightly over the top comment. There are plenty of people on here who drive their cars hard on track and/or race them. And there are lots of aftermarket parts that hold up. You can't extrapolate from your singular example to the entire world. Some aftermarket pieces are hopeless and some aren't. Sure, if you take it too far you must be compromising reliability unless engines are constantly rebuilt. However, suggesting that the only thing that will stand up to track conditions is OEM equipment is a load of rubbish.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John, Jason you are both right. I will choose my words and upgrade parts more carefully in the future, thanks

tom

Quick Reply: My Airbox melted!!