Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone tell me what the RUF 550 Kit includes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 AM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone tell me what the RUF 550 Kit includes?

Is it just a chip and exhaust or are there addition parts like DV's, maybe larger intercoolers, etc included? Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Ruf Packages
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 10-15-2005, 03:44 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

The 550 kit includes modified Turbo's (exchange required) - K24's worked over by Ruf, exhaust, larger intake, bmc air filter, and ECU upgrade. Complete package - all works together. Somewhat expensive, but all engineered together and works great. Highly recommend ( I have Rturbo) - only drawback is priced high due to Ruf pricing based on the Euro.

Alternate is BMC air filter - Europipe exhaust - GIAC controller - not a much performance, but less money. A lot of performance for the money ($10K +/-). I highly recommend this as well as this is what I did on my GT2 as it was quite a bit less than the Ruf.

Good luck.

JCM
Old 10-15-2005, 04:10 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

The reason I wanted clarification is because it looks like I am purchasing an '02 with the Ruf 550 kit installed already. I was concerned since there is no warranty but I have been reading quite a bit and found every owner of a Ruf modified car to be extremely happy with the car's reliability.
After I posted I did find their website and saw what mods are done. If anyone that owns a Ruf car, particularly one the had a 550 kit installed after they owned the vehicle, can give me some ideas about how the car performs and their experiences with the car as far as additional maintainence or problems, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, looks like I am on my way to joining the club!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
The 550 kit includes modified Turbo's (exchange required) - K24's worked over by Ruf, exhaust, larger intake, bmc air filter, and ECU upgrade. Complete package - all works together. Somewhat expensive, but all engineered together and works great. Highly recommend ( I have Rturbo) - only drawback is priced high due to Ruf pricing based on the Euro.

Alternate is BMC air filter - Europipe exhaust - GIAC controller - not a much performance, but less money. A lot of performance for the money ($10K +/-). I highly recommend this as well as this is what I did on my GT2 as it was quite a bit less than the Ruf.

Good luck.

JCM
JCM...could you tell us a bit more about this "alternate"? I have been seriously mulling over the Ruf 550 upgrade as well. Since I already have the Europipe exhaust, the K-24 turbos...how reliable would a GIAC controller/BMC air filter upgrade be? How much gain in HP, and would it all hang together with the rest of the car? How about a stronger clutch, etc. Thanks...
Old 10-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

GIAC only lists upgrades up to the '04 X50 Turbo...but that could just be because their web site hasn't been updated.

For an X50 with Europipe, the Stage 2 software alone would bump power to around 550 hp and 563 lb-ft of torque.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

I haven't heard of any reliability problems associated with the use of GIAC software.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:38 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with Dock and adding GIAC and filter presents no reliability issues. Stronger clutch will be an issue if you like to launch your car. Otherwise, drives just like stock, except at 4,000 rpm the explosion of acceleration is simply bigger, stronger and faster. I recommend GIAC and have the controller with stock, 91 and 100 octane programs. They estimate 100-150 hp and similar torque increase. I have not dyno'd my GT2 since work was done, but no doubt there is 100 + hp and torque increase. The GIAC controller is the best hp bang for the buck - a lot of pop for the money.

GDF-TT - if you can buy a TT with Ruf stuff in place, all the better - you get all the good stuff and don't have to pay for it! I would have no concerns regarding reliability, so long as the clutch and transmission have not been abused, but that is no different than any other TT you might buy.

Performance wise the Ruf Rturbo 550 is awesome - from 80 - 120 is accelerate very hard. I did have my Rturbo dyno'd and it made about 2 more hp than Ruf claimed and 37 more ft lbs of torque than claimed. Most important the dyno graph of hp and torque mirrored the stock graphs, just about a 1/2 inch higer - more power everywhere, no dip, no trade offs. No question they know what they are doing. If you like and x50, you will like the 550 better! It is totally drivableable, just like the stock ones.

JCM

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:59 AM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

Thanks for the input Supercup. I am looking forward to it, should be fun. The car has 8,000 miles on it and it looks like it is still sitting in the showroom. It is very, very clean. So I doubt the car has been abused, but you never know. The clutch has been upgraded to the Ruf clutch so it should be fine as well. The Ruf mods were put in only 4,000 miles ago so this thing is hardly broken in. I will make sure to break it in the rest of the way
Would it be "Poser" to put a Ruf badge on the car in place of "Turbo" ?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:37 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Griffin,

I received "Rturbo" stickers in 3 colors from Ruf when they did my engine. So I put one on the lower portion of the rear window and left Turbo alone. Whatever makes you feel good is what you should do. Sounds like a great car to get, especially with such low miles!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I had IA600 (aka GIAC level 4) on my X50 with a Fabspeed, Bailey dump valves and K&N airfilter
Dynoed on an AWD dyno at near 500 ft.lb to the wheels
Old 10-16-2005, 04:08 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

I just don't want to be looked at by the Porsche faithful as portraying something that it might not be. Some people put "AMG" badges on their regular benz's and look like idiots imo, I don't want to be one of those!! I figure it might be ok since I will actually have Ruf modifications. This car has the Ruf BBK and also Ruf coilovers to go along with the engine mods. Should be a fun ride
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dock and JCM, many thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Woodster
Drifting

GDF-TT
RUF is top notch stuff (agree with what everybody says).
Go for it.
Marty

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me what the RUF 550 Kit includes?