Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my new TT with a prob...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Dustman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my new TT with a prob...

Took a week to get her in the shop in SoCal (Bev Hills couldnt even return the phone call for an appt), but Gallery in Woodland Hills was more than happy to accomodate me. Drove with two techs this morning, replicated the mechanical sound in 3rd gear, mostly under load, ie up hill. They said they have never seen this one before, concerned because it couldnt be replicated in neutral (sound like a front diff?). We shall see. Driving a nice new Mustang instead of my TT. Great shop so far. Very friendly staff. They had 3 GT's in for servicing, an F50, several F360's (and of course those lemmon Maserati cars).

Any thoughs on the sound (2k rpm, 3rd -4th gear under load, tiptronic) appreciated. All agreed not a heat shield or exhaust rub. Mechanical. One user enthusiast in UK said he had similar, was a diff and a new one didnt solve the issue).
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
t urbo
Intermediate

Dustman, mine does the same but in 5th and 6th. Dealer replaced the front diff and the noise replicated itself. I had Porsche UK rep look into mine and it turns out its normal due to a tolerance change in the diff. ( Hay maybe i was the one replying to you r UK post)?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

can dustman and turbo provide some info on what sound is like, did you only hear it with windows up and radio off???
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Dustman
Advanced

Update...nobody can seem to figure out the sound. They think swapping out the tires will fix, something about not enough even torque put on diff with the stock 2001 Conti's front and new 2005 Conti's rear; Porsche says to put on S03's...I say thanks for free tires, but I cannot see this is the issue or anyone with Conti's would have the prob! They did pop on stock twist rims tires off another TT in the shop and prob went away (they claim)...odd. Perhaps those factory Sport Techno wheels and factory spacers are to blame? T urbo....what wheels do you have? I'm not going to let this issue go unresolved for another week...fix or buy back.
T2...2krpm metallic grinding sound, I say front diff.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 54 Posts

I too have the Sport Techno rims but the rears have the spacers - the fronts bolt right up without a spacer. I dount it's the tires - I run Pirelli's. Also have you had the front diff fluid recently changed???? Keep me in the loop and good luck!!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Dustman
Advanced

T2...I've asked today about the fluid, good tip. I agree, the tires likely are not the issue. I'm at fix it or buy back point unfortunately. Car is just sitting.

Quick Reply: Update on my new TT with a prob...