Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default intersting reading!

Norm-Leistung=Corrected HP
Motor Leistung=Actual Hp @ Flywheel
Radleistung= Power @ the wheels
Schlepplelstung= Drive train loss

excellence mag june 2005
When they tested the car they had a big problem with traction. The car was originally 850hp but the car was un drivable so it was backed off to just over 800hp.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very amazing auto!, hardly very streetable but impressive non the less.
I think we are going to see alot more of the PSI packages in the US in the
very near future. I am anxious to see real world (road test) numbers with
the PSI 550. I must admit, they look like very strong packages!
MK
Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor Trend this week reviewed the new Z06 with only a mere 505hp compared to that monster car at 807. Above article quotes 0-62 at 3.7s and MT Z06 0-60 at 3.5s. Forget the massive price difference, just wondering how much "better" cars with massive hp ie higher than 650hp are compared to stock porsche X50 set up.
I ask only because I just bought an X50. I enjoy actual "driving" events. Soooo.... as far as reliable track time (I drive to event and DRIVE back!) are any of these super modded cars able to do what I do with my un modded car now??? And at what point is one trading hp for reliablity????

thanks

tom k
Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
...And at what point is one trading hp for reliablity????

thanks

tom k
Good question.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

The last "missing" page from the Excellence article that was posted says that this car weighs 3000 lbs. I am sometimes surprised how people don't ask this question immediately, weight is as important or more than HP for these runs!!

Just FYI, a 993TT 600hp RS Tuning with the same weight runs 100-200kph in around 6 seconds, that's 600 not 800hp! This one did it in 6.22. The PSI RTS 1 (620hp) with 2800lbs did it in 6.6 seconds.

This engine is definitely an amazing one since it is running that hp on a MAHA dyno with 1.2 Bar or so, much better than the 1.5 Bar we are seeing in other places, but tuners have BTDT in Europe before, Gemballa (a few years back) and 9FF for instance, among many others.

Does anyone have a copy of the Road and Car magazine that tested the PSI car at 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and quartermile at 11.3 and 130mph trap speed? Most of PSI cars that are tested in magazines are lightweight as seen above (you can check their website too), that changes the equation quite a bit.

At 1.2 Bar, one could say that this engine is quite reliable. If you run it all day long at max performance it will certainly break after a few racing hours, but nothing compared to the 1.5 Bar engines we are seeing built.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

And at what point is one trading hp for reliablity????
I think that is THE question. One guy, on another board, has a 700+hp Turbo. It was in the shop 11 out of the last 12 months with problems. It would appear that the 500-550 hp cars are pretty reliable, after that, who knows. In addition, from my research, a lot of the "tuners" out there just add boost at the high end for more hp. Many create more down stream problems because the car is engineered for x amount of boost. Other tuners, like PSI and RUF appear to work on a more balanced approach than just adding boost. In addition, they seem to much more blunt about what other parts you must upgrade if you go for higher hp. I appreciate that honesty. When I read about guys who do an upgrade and then start blowing off hoses etc, it calls into question the honesty or skills of the tuner involved imo...

I went with PSI and I'm very happy with the results. The car is more drivable on the street and is much faster...

Roy
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
msb2tg
Instructor

as far as realibility is concerned, i have logged a total of 2500 miles on my 550 package, i drive to and from work and push the car as much as i can, i have not had any issues with cel/maf's or anything like that, i was suppose to do some de's yesterday but work got in the way.
I have yet to take it to the track to do some real numbers test, i may not even have a chance to do so as i am jumping to the 650hp wagon, it should be done in a month or so and will report back to let you guys know what and how the added hp holds up...btw it will be a daily driver as well after the hp transformation,imo, no point in having a fast car sit in the garage
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

msb2tg that kind of info is helpful!!! I am told my X50 is a "pig" compared to the 600+hp cars!! I would love to have you kind of mod but I'm afraid to destroy my car!!! I want to keep and drive and enjoy this car vs in being in the shop all the time. I'll follow your feed back, thanks

tom k
Old 09-09-2005, 01:12 AM
msb2tg
Instructor

msb2tg that kind of info is helpful!!! I am told my X50 is a "pig" compared to the 600+hp cars!! I would love to have you kind of mod but I'm afraid to destroy my car!!! I want to keep and drive and enjoy this car vs in being in the shop all the time. I'll follow your feed back, thanks

tom k
tom,
whoa!! nice car!!! i will def. keep u updated, i had to respond and say that is one nice ride!!
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

msb2tg, thanks, nothing compared to what you are used too!! But great following your efforts!!

tom
Old 09-10-2005, 05:40 AM
qirex
Racer

interesting question power vs reliability.

it seems that you get what you pay for (duh).

a simple $2k ecu reflash my bump hp...but at what cost?
Some of the more serious german tuners (ruf,9ff) do seem to do more than simply...turn it up!

9ff's stage 2 kit for example...they junk the stock turbines...even for the x50!

Quick Reply: intersting reading!