Sponsored by:

Baby's new shoes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 AM
bigape
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby's new shoes!!!!

OK guys, after much anticipation, the new Kinesis 19's are on and awesome! (Thanks Peter at wheelexperts.com for the knowledge and expertise). The wheels/tires were delivered as promised. I have a broken jack at home so I had the local Les Schwab tire shop put them on. All went well and i went back 3 days later to re-torque. While the Tech is tightening everything up, he's checking the air and adding some to each tire. I feel like a jackass in wanting to tell him to be careful so I keep my yap shut. As he's chatting away, he drops the steel air nozzle on my beautiful polished and clear coated 3" rear wheel lip! Long story short, it had punctured 2 holes in to the clear coat and dented the aluminum so the cloudy--milky lip wasn't far behind. After a couple of conversations, the Asst manager Phil Smith stepped up and did the right thing and got a new wheel and remedeed a crappy situation. So after a minor setback, she's back in business. Here's the website with some pix.
new wheels
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 AM
BigBagBen
Advanced

Very nice BigApe....congrats
Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

Love that deep dish!!! I'm looking at some HRE's myself - the fat lips are the best! CONGRATS!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Clearing polished outer barrels.............bold move.......how durable is Kinesis's work on that?.........I'm not being negative, just curious.....kudos to you for the guts in ordering it & giving it a try.
My experience, some people can do this very well, some not.
Good luck on those...........enjoy.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
bigape
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreggT
Clearing polished outer barrels.............bold move.......how durable is Kinesis's work on that?.........I'm not being negative, just curious.....kudos to you for the guts in ordering it & giving it a try.
My experience, some people can do this very well, some not.
Good luck on those...........enjoy.

Hi Gregg- a little puzzled and dont understand the question. please clarify?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:55 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bigape
Hi Gregg- a little puzzled and dont understand the question. please clarify?
OK BigApe..........sorry for the confusion. First, congrats on the wheels.....and glad you got 'by' the problem on install
Like I said, I have no 1st hand knowledge at how well Kenisis does in bonding clear to polished alloy lips. It is not a given. If done right, cleared polished are a thing of beauty (and low maintenance for you). I'm not blowing smoke, below are clear-polished Strosek alloys (OZ-Italian) on my 993......good wheels, but this work is often the exception to the rule.

My observation.......that many people that have polished (not brushed) deep outer barrels on 19s opt for unfinished (and have the reg weekend 30 minutes with the Mothers, Never-Dull, or whatever). 'Clearing' them is a good move (IMHO) if Kenisis has a good finish there.
I'm not a paint expert but..........a good finish to me is taking that chip or ding and still hanging in there........ie no 'milky-cloudy', no peeling off, etc.......hopefully pretty durable & servicable.

Personally I have Fikse & HRE polished (unfinished).....and clear coated 19' brushed HRE.
Hope that helps clarify my comment.
Again, congrats on the new shoes.......enjoy em.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:17 PM
bigape
Instructor

Gotcha! In reading my original post I see my error The lips on the wheels are indeed 'machined' and not 'polished'! This was one of the main reasons why I picked them (that and the not-so-much bling factor). I agree with you Gregg in that the polished lips are very labor intensive in maintaining. BTW, great body kit on your 993. very clean!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:35 PM
msb2tg
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

nice wheels!!! now time to drop that puppy!!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Great choice on the wheels. These have always been a favorite of mine.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:06 PM
bigape
Instructor

nice wheels!!! now time to drop that puppy!!

Yeah... I've been thinking about it. Have a buddy with pSS9's and I dont care for his ride on long hauls (kidneys get trashed after a couple hundred miles) . we'll have to wait and see how my driving skills progress The minute I can out drive my suspension, I'll start looking into it.

Quick Reply: Baby's new shoes!!!!