Sponsored by:

Crank thrust bearing issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You guys are playing with fire if you're still using 0w40. It may not be the overriding cause if this particular bearing failure, but it does contribute, especially on startup and at high temps. You will also find, that many other bearings and guides will begin to wear prematurely on all vehicles that run hot oil temps and use the 0w40. Been rebuilding motors for longer than many of you could ride a bike and seen the damage caused by too low of viscosity oil more times than I can remember. Stay away from this latest oil fad and use what works and properly protects. Take 2 bearings and dip 1 in a 0w40 oil and 1 in 15w40 and let them sit overnight. Which one has more oil film on it? The one that does will be better protected at startup. This is basic common sense and Porsche is dead wrong with their 0w40 fill in hot clomates. At least Mercedes corrected ther mistakes and no longer uses the 0w40. I wonder how much longer til Porsche also makes the change.

For those that don't care about long term wear, then stick with the 0w40 and enjoy the unmeasurable economy improvement.
Hi all, and greetings from the Gulf! I'm amazed to hear the 996TT suffers from TBF as do the auto 928's. With regards to oil and oil weight, this is indeed a topic I wonder about, and would like any clarification from experts! I attended a presentation when Mobil launched their "0W-40 Supersyn" here in the Middle East. Not being particularly technical when it come to oils, I think I understood that their "supersyn" labeled oils consists of 20% "supersyn" additives, 15% synthetic esters and 65% base stock. The "supersyn" additives has a patented anti-wear molecular structure, in that it reacts with the metal to form a protective fluid film at all times. From this I try to convince myself 0W-40 still is ok in very hot climate. I better, since 15W-50 (with our without supersyn) is no longer marketed here - amazng huh, being 50+ deg Centigrade in summer.

I noticed a new Mobil 1 product on the market in Europe this summer, "5W-50 Supersyn Racing formula". I know the new McLaren uses it and I guess in ME it should be very suitable?

Do you have the Mobil 1 "supersyn" in the US/Europe?
Also, it would be very interesting to see a temperature chart comparing 15W-50 (non-supersyn) vs 0W-40 sypersyn.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to check (on your own) to see if there is excessive play?
is there and associated oil leak?
Has anybody on this board had their engine replaced due to this?
How about fold out of warranty?
Marty
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my engine replaced under warranty. The RMS was leaking and upon inspection it was found that the Housing bore was not aligned. I have since sold the car as the more I learned the more I decided I did not need this car.

I got dragged back into the family business, so the timing suited the sale.

I really think the issue is important, but unless Porsche do, what can you do. Unles the RMS is leaking, I do not think you have to worry. There are hundreds of Porsche engine running just fine, but if opened would require some sort of repair. This is typical of any engine. you repair what is in front of you at the time, and repairs are done when there is a failure. Until then, happy motoring.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 PM
killerbee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the endplay, crank out of round and engine block crank saddle alignment tolerances?

TIA
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a structural engineer, I can't help but think in terms of stress. That said, what Red Rooster has said makes sense. I was in the prcess of reading this and was going to post this when I was done with the entire thread.
The area of wear is subjected to stress. Stress is load per area. Increase area and you thereby decrease stress. If the "end play" if I am reading this correctly loads the edge of the halves that Stephen posted earlier, I would imagine that living with the "large" Porsche spec end play and simply increasing the rim width of the halves shown earlier will reduce the stress and hence the wear.

Disclaimer: I only have a basic knowledge of the internals but enough clarity to offer some sound viewpoints....at least I think!

Quick Reply: Crank thrust bearing issues