Sponsored by:

Went for a new clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Kiko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pierre,

What about suspension bushings and rose joints? What is the wear rate on these?

Keep piling up the miles, you're an inspiration for us all.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:29 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Pierre - nice write up on the work done to your car.....I am currently running my bone stock (minus GT-3 front brake ducting) 2003 X50 with 119,250+ miles on the ticker - interesting to see if I run into any of the issues you did - she's going in soon for a new clutch accumulator/slave as it's shot and I'll probably do the suspension over this winter as it is tired also - great to know you drive the car as it was intended from the factory - I'll keep you apprised of my mileage status periodically....T2
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo!...

Last Friday, my 'new' engine gave up. 2nd gear, full throttle... all good until... boink! Sudden loss of power. I managed to drive up to a parking lot in 2nd and 1st gear, then the engine blocked completely.

The engine itself now has exactly 100'000 km, with the last 75'000 with the Sportec stage 3 upgrade (540 hp, 780 Nm). It's of course out of warranty, and the upgrade would have voided it anyway. Yes, 540 hp is a lot more than the stock output, but still... total failure already? Sob... The mechanics don't know exactly what the problem is, but they say the engine is just completely blocked. So it's the internals. No good.

Opening it, checking it, rebuilding it would cost a lot. Probably even more than getting (yet another) new one from Porsche as a standard-exchange. Now, would I put a 3rd engine into a car that already has over 317'000 km? Not sure...

Stinking thinking time!... Any ideas welcome...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Pierre -

Sorry to hear about your engine - that just plain sucks - my 2 cents is get it rebuilt for the power you are putting into it - if that can be done at this point - I think you sent the original engine back to the factory so swapping parts between the two may not be an option. Of course a new engine with built internals may be the best of all but certainly won't be cheap. I wonder if Ruf would be interested in taking the car apart and rebuilding it for you. Can't remember - did your new engine have the new block or was it the older block - I think they changed to a new block configuration (I remember a thread showing different cooling patterns (in fact it may be this thread) in the block and heads - curious which one you ended up with.

It's been a while since I posted with an update to this thread but I rolled past 190,000 miles this past weekend - bone stock.

Keep us apprised of the status and your plans for a path forward. Keep the faith!! T2
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats for your 190'000 miles!

I talked to Sportec today. They're quite surprised about the whole stuff. According to them, they have customers with bigger power upgrades (580-650 hp) who are driving their cars very hard and quite a lot. One guy seems to be doing like 70-80'000 km / year! So their recommendation would be to analyze the failure carefully before taking any decision. Will probably have them do that, and if possible and not too expensive, rebuild the engine. And while we're at it, maybe they could replace the broken parts with better ones?...
Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

In real life your car has over 217000 km if you've been on the track. A mechanic told me 1 track mile is equal to 5 miles because of the stress and the higher temperature.

Quick Reply: Went for a new clutch...