Sponsored by:

Ceramic Brake "Loud Noise"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
awsum1ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake "Loud Noise"

I was driving one saturday on the freeway & side street and the temparture was in the mid to hi 80's. Normal driving conditions. And all of a sudden when
i hit the brakes i heard a loud humming sound! not a squeel! Has anyone out
there experince something like this on PCCB's? I have a 05 Turbo S only with 1500 miles on it. I have pampered this car since i drove it off the dealership.

It's disappointing to hear a superior brakes to fail if so? on
a 150K price tag automobile.

Any comment or adivce will sure be appreciated. I plan to take it to
the dealership.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The PCCB's often make strange sounds. Not indicative of a problem. A few have mentioned a grinding type of sound. It maybe harmonic issue due to pads and disk seating during break-in.

FWIU, the 05 turbos have the 2nd generation PCCB which seem to not have all the controversy and problems of the 1st gen.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awsum1ed
I was driving one saturday on the freeway & side street and the temparture was in the mid to hi 80's. Normal driving conditions. And all of a sudden when
i hit the brakes i heard a loud humming sound! not a squeel! Has anyone out
there experince something like this on PCCB's? I have a 05 Turbo S only with 1500 miles on it. I have pampered this car since i drove it off the dealership.

It's disappointing to hear a superior brakes to fail if so? on
a 150K price tag automobile.

Any comment or adivce will sure be appreciated. I plan to take it to
the dealership.
I also have an '05 Turbo S and now with 11,500 miles on it and have not experienced "a loud humming sound" as you described it. Have it checked out. Although the brakes will squeal after heating up with only partial braking at low speeds...consider it normal for these ceramic composite pads.

However, if you have not already then do a proper "bedding-in" of the pads and rotors. This is important. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a detailed procedure on bedding-in. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Why are you sure it is the brakes?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 PM
awsum1ed
Intermediate

To Gary Cooper, it seems to be the brakes, it only made that loud noise when i hit
the brakes. It seems to sound like metal to metal contact when your pads are worn!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To Gary Cooper, it seems to be the brakes, it only made that loud noise when i hit
the brakes. It seems to sound like metal to metal contact when your pads are worn!
Go bed-in the pads, and if the problem still persists then have it checked. To bed-in:...do 8-10 moderate to hard braking from 60>20 mph in quick succession...drive around for 10 mins without braking to cool...then do 4-5 hard braking from 80>30 mph and 1 final hard brake from 100 mph plus (if possible)...cool off. Pads are now bedded. If you smell "burning" from brakes, that's just normal Green fade. Good luck...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I have pampered this car since i drove it off the dealership.
This might be a big part of it. The PCCB's especially, need to be used hard. They don't apprciate pampering.

Stephen
Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

I just changed the pads in my 03 X50 with Gen 1 PCCB's - I got 66k miles and 6 DE events on the original set - they like a progressive warming on the track (3 laps or so) and then hammer them - I just took it easy for one day on the new pads and then performed a series of progressive brakes as descirbed above and they new pads feel great. I have had instances where a pebble will get caught in them somewhere and squeal like hell for a second then fall out - maybe your ABS or PSM kicked in prematurely for some reason - just two thoughts. Good luck with them.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:55 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

No humming noise coming from my brakes as well. So far so good with these Gen II PCCB.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake "Loud Noise"