Sponsored by:

Adding X50 Package after the fact?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding X50 Package after the fact?

background: for those of you that saw my previous thread, my uncle's 996 turbo just showed up and is going to be shipped to him in van city. he really wanted a car with the X50 power package but alas, it doesn't have it, and he's busting my ***** about it.

the question: can it be installed after the fact, and if so, how much?

question 2: wouldn't there be a similar power gain from a stage 1 tuning package (evoms/GIAC for instance) where you replace the exhaust system, intake and flash the chip?

question 3: would the aformentioned tuning void the warrenty? i've heard that some of the new chip tunning programs are not detectable by the factory. can someone confirm this cause that would be sextacular.

regards,
omar.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
msb2tg
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
background: for those of you that saw my previous thread, my uncle's 996 turbo just showed up and is going to be shipped to him in van city. he really wanted a car with the X50 power package but alas, it doesn't have it, and he's busting my ***** about it.

the question: can it be installed after the fact, and if so, how much?

question 2: wouldn't there be a similar power gain from a stage 1 tuning package (evoms/GIAC for instance) where you replace the exhaust system, intake and flash the chip?

question 3: would the aformentioned tuning void the warrenty? i've heard that some of the new chip tunning programs are not detectable by the factory. can someone confirm this cause that would be sextacular.

regards,
omar.
depending on how much horsepower your uncle wants to achieve, we offer a variety of packages that cater to different uses of the car. You can pm me for details.
a
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even if an X50 install was possible, you'd be far better off tuning the stock car. You could either just throw a chip+exhaust on and be as fast or faster than an X50, or you could do a turbo swap and be much faster. To install X50, you'd have to do a turbo swap anyway.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
killerbee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gather that the extra 35 hp that is sticking up there...(415 vs 450?) If it is just the numbers that are the issue then just a GIAC flash will net well in excess of that, as a ballpark 65hp/65lb-ft. Typically, its 2k and done with no physical changes to the ecu. As to detectable as near as I can tell not easily. As an added bonus the driveability markedly improves.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I would step up with K16/24 hybrids and a ECU tune. Spinning the stock K16's to 1bar and above will shorten the lifespan out of them..
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the different exhaust, turbos and programming, the x50 includes a GT3 oil pump and a reinforced transmission. You would have to open the engine and tranny to do a complete retrofit.

Skip the inferior x50 turbos and programming and get Kevin's turbos/programming -- they are infinitely better!

Craig
Old 07-27-2005, 08:50 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Just get your uncle an "S" and put it on the back (Hahaha). In reality, does your uncle really know what the stock TT is capable of? It is quite quick. I think for the money you can get some nice gains with a new intake, new exhaust and flashing the chip for a lot less money. As far as warranty goes...it kind of depends on the dealer. I have done a number of mods and have had no problem getting things fixed under warranty (new nav system, new PS reservoir, new MAF, new front differential). The flash loader with the GIAC works great. The stock program can be reloaded and the dealer does not see the boost program.

Quick Reply: Adding X50 Package after the fact?